Blair in Freedom Flight

Unforgiven

Spaceman
On page 177 of Freedom Flight, Blair is mentioned in a poker game.
Either Lackey is psychic, or it was already known at OSI that they would call him Blair for WC3 in 1992.
Anyone know?

Ellen Guon -- Mercedes Lackey probably had very, very little to do with Freedom Flight <G>

I think it's generally attributed to a wacky coincidence, though -- unless she followed the same Blue Hair->Blair logic that got used during WC3's development.

Then why is Lackey's name first on the cover?

I thought it might be a coincidence. And of course the blue hair thing is possible too. :cool:

Because she's (or was at the time, Guon is apparently reletively famous now) a much more famous author than Ellen Guon, whose previous experience had been doing the script for SM2 and WC2. :)

Much like Forstchen got his name on WC3, WC4 and False Colors... and all he did was write outlines for them. And two of those outlines were based on movie scripts. He got paid to do that so his name would be on the book, and it'd appeal to everybody familiar with his previous WC stories.

(Similarly, before the series was popular, End Run had a short story by Christopher Stasheff included, since he was more famous than Forstchen <G>).

My ex-girlfriend was big into Guon's fantasy stuff. She looked at me in the bookstore once and said "Tell me you've heard of her" and I just went "She, uh, wrote Freedom Flight."

Whew! Close call! :D

Originally posted by Unforgiven
But it didn't help, if she's your ex-girlfriend. :cool:

There's several reasons we broke up, one of them wasn't over Guon's books. Now, if you know whats good for you, you won't bring her up again... :mad:

Didn't Guon do work with the Children's Television Workshop, or Sesame Street? I also thought I read somewhere that Blair was the name they used in meetings during the development of the earlier games. Maybe that was just an Origin legend.

Blair's name was given to him in '94, while WC3 was being developed... it's a shortening of "Bluehair", which was the internal name they used for the character in WC1/2. (The original sketches/script/etc for WC3 call in Roberts).

The fact that an a character who has no real point being in the story actually gets a name raises the suspicions. Is it a reference to teh games or a coincedence. It seems quite likely that Blair may have been given that name before WC development, even if it were an un-official name.

This is starting to look a lot like english class. Is this significant? Is it not? What is the effect of this reference? Ay yi yi!

Originally posted by Dak
The fact that an a character who has no real point being in the story actually gets a name raises the suspicions. Is it a reference to teh games or a coincedence. It seems quite likely that Blair may have been given that name before WC development, even if it were an un-official name.

Ehh, a whole bunch of 'random' characters are given names in Freedom Flight... and there's no evidence in any of the production materials for WC1/WC2 that Blair was considered for the pilots name. Other projects from the pre-WC3 era don't give him a name (or give him an improper name): WC1/2 Guide, End Run, SWC, SegaCD WC1... Armada, Academy.

I suppose I was thinking because Guon worked on WC scripts, she might have had a bit of inside knowledge, so to speak. I'm no expert but it seems a bit silly to me to have a script where the lead character is called "you" or "the player" or "the character" or something similar.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Other projects from the pre-WC3 era don't give him a name (or give him an improper name): WC1/2 Guide, End Run, SWC, SegaCD WC1... Armada, Academy.
What were Blair's 'other' names again?

Back