Black Lance

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Since the poll says it all, I'm just going to use this opportunity to post my favorite Dan Quayle misquotes. Enjoic (Or maybe not)...

(from All the Quayle Quotes, More or Less)

What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle winning friends while speaking to the United Negro College Fund, 5/9/89 This gem has been added to Bartlett's `Familiar Quotations'. (reported in Esquire, 8/92) (reported in the NY Times, 12/9/92)

If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, to the Phoenix Republican Forum, 3/23/90 (reported in Esquire, 8/92) Also reported by Reuters, 5/2/90

One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is `to be prepared'.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 12/6/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.
-- Senator Dan Quayle, 9/15/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92, The New Yorker, 10/10/88, p.102)

I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 5/22/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

I have made good judgments in the Past.
I have made good judgments in the Future.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle

Add one little bit on the end... Think of `potatoe', how's it spelled? You're right phonetically, but what else...? There ya go... all right!
-- Vice President Dan Quayle correcting a student's correct spelling of the word `potato' during a spelling bee at an elementary school in Trenton.

I should have caught the mistake on that spelling bee card. But as Mark Twain once said, `You should never trust a man who has only one way to spell a word'.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, actually quoting from President Andrew Jackson.

I should have remembered that was Andrew Jackson who said that, since he got his nickname `Stonewall' by vetoing bills passed by Congress.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, confusing Andrew Jackson with Confederate General Thomas J. `Stonewall' Jackson, who actually got his nickname at the first Battle of Bull Run.

When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle giving an intelligent, in-depth analysis of the LA riots. (during the Commonwealth Club speech 5/19/92)

We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world.
-- Senator Dan Quayle, 9/21/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle on the concept of a manned mission to Mars.

Public speaking is very easy.
-- Senator Dan Quayle to reporters in 10/88

She was attracted to me by my intellectual curiosity.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle talking about Marilyn (reported in High Times, 11/92)

I've been told to keep my remarks relatively brief. I understand Quayle-hunting season begins at noon.
-- Senator Dan Quayle to a crowd in Eau Claire, Wisc. (LA Times 10/16/88)

I'm glad you asked me that. This gives me the perfect opportunity to talk about the problems with this Congress...
-- Vice President Dan Quayle responding to reporters' questions about his use of Air force 2 to go on golf trips at the cost of $26,000/hour.

If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle while at a job training center in Atlanta celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Job Training Partnership Act, which Quayle helped to sponsor while a senator, 10/13/92. (reported in the NY Times, 10/14/92).

We lead in exporting jobs.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle committing a Freudian slip while speaking to the Chamber of Commerce of Evansville, Indiana, a city which lost 4 large companies in the last four years. He quickly changed the word `jobs' to `products'. (NY Newsday 7/26/92 - taken from The Quayle Quarterly, Summer/Winter, 1992)

I just don't believe in the basic concept that someone should make their whole career in public service.
-- Vice President (former senator, former congressman, etc..) Dan Quayle

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.

My friends, no matter how rough the road may be, we can and we will never, never surrender to what is right.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle speaking to the Christian Coalition about the need for abstinence to avoid AIDS, 11/15/91 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

My opponent knows less about national defense than I know about spelling. Even I know it's Cruise missiles, not Patriot missiles that go through doors and chimneys.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle correcting a Bill Clinton misstatement, 9/92. (Seen on CNN; the CNN anchorwoman corrected Quayle when the story was over.)

We should develop anti-satellite weapons because we could not have prevailed without them in Red Storm Rising.
-- Senator Dan Quayle, 9/6/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92) Also reported by Newsweek, 9/88

The U.S. victory in Gulf war was a stirring victory for the forces of aggression.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 4/11/91 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

Japan is an important ally of ours. Japan and the United States of the Western industrialized capacity, 60 percent of the GNP, two countries. That's a statement in and of itself.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 10/2/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

The US condones violence in El Salvador.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle reveals what people have known for years. 1/31/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

I was known as the chief grave robber of my state.

You all look like *happy campers* to me. *Happy campers* you are, *happy campers* you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, *happy campers* you will always be.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, to the American Samoans, whose capital Quayle pronounces `Pogo Pogo', 4/25/89 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

I love California; I practically grew up in Phoenix.

It's not to keep him from running off our property. It's to protect my putting green.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle telling a guest at his house why his dog, Breezy, wears a special collar that emits a painful jolt of electricity should the dog try to run away. (reported in the NY Daily News, 6/30/92 -- taken from The Quayle Quarterly, Summer/Fall 92)

It shows `us vs. them,' and I'm on the `us' side.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle explaining the strategy behind his twitting of `cultural elites'. (The Indianapolis Star, 6/14/92 -- taken from the Quayle Quarterly, Summer/Fall 1992)

People who bowl vote. Bowlers are not the cultural elite.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle while at a Las Vegas bowling alley. The Vice President bowled 5 times, and knocked down 19 pins (6/25/92, San Jose Mercury News). The American Bowling Congress projected his score for a full game to be 76. The Detroit average for amateur players is 163 (USA Today, 7/6/92)

The President scores much better than Bill Clinton.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle, comparing Bush's record of marital infidelity to Clinton's during a televised interview with David Frost, 10/92.

You have a part-time job, and that's better than no job at all.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle after the manager of the Burger King had said that the jobs offered were part-time minimum wage jobs, which didn't pay enough to live on, and that ``It's hard to find people who want to actually show up for the job.''

I don't watch it, but I know enough to comment on it.
-- Vice President Dan Quayle defending his opinions about the TV show `Murphy Brown' (Las Vegas RJ 21 May 92)

I just have one thing to say: Murphy, you owe me!
-- Vice President Dan Quayle after Candice Bergan won an Emmy for her role as Murphy Brown

(Oh yeah: LOAF's vest in the picture looks exactly like Brock's from Pokemom)

Back