Best/Worst Sci-Fi TV series

Mancubus

Rear Admiral
OK, we know lot's of our opinions about Sci-Fi movies, so let's get to the TV series. Witch do uou thnk are the best and the worst.

for me:

Best - Star Trek Tne Next Generation.

I know it maybe not very original, but it is just it. It really went beyond flying around in spaceship and blasting other spaceships.

Runner up - Star Trek (original series) It must have been just Awsome at the time it first went out (I am a) to young to remember, b) even if I wasn't the communist censoriship didn't allow it to be shown in here for some reason), and is still great today.

Worst - I cannot say really, maybe i watch only good or at least not so bad Sci -Fi series but well...

two candidates
1 (Star Trek) Enterprise. I liked some episodes, but generally it was hugely dissapointing. but the problem is here - if it had no connection with Trek whatsover i think I would like it. I mean it wouldn't be bad if it wasn't a betrayal...

2 now is the tricky one. You see, there was that Kids oriented TV series I watched when I was 7 or 8. I have no Idea about it's title, nor what it was all about, except that there was some predator like (by predator-like i mean invisible, i belive it was a budget issue) monster hunting bunch of kids, and that i actually hated it, and watched only because it aired between some sort of morning kids program and Ninja Tutles of witch I was a really huge fan back then, and I was Afraid that if I turned th TV off Mom won't let me turn it on again...

Best- I have to say the original Flash Gordon series, the Twilight Zone (Original), or TOS.

Worst- Babylon 5... BORING!

Worst- Babylon 5... BORING!

I'd take B5's strong characters over the Enterprise having to invert it's polarised tachyon field inhibitor relay to solve some lame ethical dilemma any day.

I haven't seen that many sci-fi series, but it's between B5 and the Stargates for best.

The worst would have to be something called the first wave or whatever, though I only watched a few episodes randomly. It was the way overused story about body-snatching aliens or something and there was an episode about killer albinos from inside a rock. I mean, it could be an awesome series for all I know, the episodes I saw just didn't appeal to me. Also Touched by an Angel, if that counts as sci-fi.

Incidentally, I'm re-watching all the Babylon 5 episodes and I like it very much. At first I picked some random episodes that sounded interesting but was disappointed. Watching it in order greatly enhances the experience for me and I really like the characters.

Incidentally, I'm re-watching all the Babylon 5 episodes and I like it very much. At first I picked some random episodes that sounded interesting but was disappointed. Watching it in order greatly enhances the experience for me and I really like the characters.

Every year or so I sit down and watch the entire series and movies. It's definitely not an easy one to jump around to any episode that sounds good because of the story flow.

I found B5 to be great, despite its budget that was significantly less than other SciFi shows, it had great CGI and really drew me into the story arc. Definitely my favorite SciFi show.

I remember very well how impressed I was back then with the CGI effects - and they're not too awkward to look at even today.

I enjoy re-watching it very much, it's especially the characters, they're all likeable on some level (those that are supposed to be likeable.) something I find is rather rare. Also, Ivanova is my favourite female character in a series or movie I can think of. She's just seems more normal than most, like someone you'd enjoy being friends with.

And it's the first time I can watch it in English - I love Londo's accent. :)

Definately a very very good sci-fi series, if not the best I know of.

Any thoughts on the newer Battlestar Galactica series? I thought the amount of action was definitely awesome, but just enough so that it was not over the top.

loved the new BSG up until the middle of season 4 then it really lost the plot. I guess that's what happens when you make it up as you go.

**** SPOILERS BELOW ****

Stargate Atlantis had a similar problem (Splashdown in San Francisco without ending the wraith plot! yeah great idea!). How are we gonna end this? (BSG version: cavemen! and let's not explain anything about several major characters whose stories were half the reason people were watching the show). That said both of those series had brilliant moments and its a shame they weren't explored further by their creators. It'll be interesting to see what Caprica and Stargate Universe do. Hopefully they can tie some ends up where the other series failed.

loved the new BSG up until the middle of season 4 then it really lost the plot. I guess that's what happens when you make it up as you go.

**** SPOILERS BELOW ****

Stargate Atlantis had a similar problem (Splashdown in San Francisco without ending the wraith plot! yeah great idea!). How are we gonna end this? (BSG version: cavemen! and let's not explain anything about several major characters whose stories were half the reason people were watching the show). That said both of those series had brilliant moments and its a shame they weren't explored further by their creators. It'll be interesting to see what Caprica and Stargate Universe do. Hopefully they can tie some ends up where the other series failed.

YES!! I loved the new movie, Ark of Truth!! :D

I realy loved Space Above and Beyond. A pitty it was canceled after its first season. At least the episodes in space had a bit of wing commande feel to them.

Babylon 5, Independence War (the I-war) and of course WING COMMANDER are my fauvorite scifi movies/games (eeh.. sci-fi universes) :)

Best - Star Trek DS9 or Firefly

Worst - Part of me wants to say "Homeboys in Outer Space", but I don't really even recall the show, just the name. However, we were forced to watch this crappy show back in elementary school called "Read All About It!" which was really, really terrible. Our teachers didn't have the entire show, so we never got to see the last few episodes.

For those who haven't discovered it...check out the Babylon 5 Podcast

They have great interviews with cast members and episode discussions. I discovered it last year and have been enjoying it ever since.

For me, the best is a tossup between Babylon 5 and Firefly, with Star Trek TOS a very close third behind them. It's hard to compare my top two because Firefly was never given a chance. Babylon 5 was great because it was an epic finished product (seasons 1-4 at least). Firefly was absolutely fantastic for the episodes it ran, but it's unclear if it could have kept that steam going...but I'm ready to give Whedon the benefit of the doubt.

However, I've never seen a more polarizing series than B5...every sci-fi fan I've ever met either thinks it is the greatest show ever made, or absolutely hates it. I think a lot depends on if you're able to watch it in order or not. Unlike the X-files or other "serials", B5 (for the most part) lacked the "moster of the week" episodes, so there were very few episodes that can be enjoyed taken out of the story arc.

I can't say what is the "worst", because I have so little TV watching time that if I don't like a series I give up on it after one or two episodes, and hence don't have a lot of basis for judging one series that I didn't like "worse" than others. I would say some of the series that I was most dissappointed with were Enterprise, Star Trek Voyager (hmmm, I'm spotting a trend here...), Stargate Atlantis, and the new Battlestar Galactica. And Andomeda was pretty comedically bad, too, although that was was kind of fun to watch, so I can't really fault it.

Then there's a whole host of series in the middle that started good and lost their thunder (Stargate, Farscape, etc.) or that were kind of good but never amazing (Sea Quest DSV). I think it's quite hard to make good sci-fi, mainly because you need a network's buy in and support while you build your product, and many networks just don't support sci-fi all that well.

hm, How about the Good old Doctor Who Original and new shows.
And a little know show from my wee childhood years called Jason of Star Command which stared James Doohan from Star trek.(check on youtube I think for some clips)

There is also another Brit Show called Timeslip, about a boy and girl who kinda walk/crawl threw holes in time.

Hands down, Babylon 5 is the best sci-fi series I watched on Television.. All the treks are good in their own way, but only B5 gave me what I wanted, which was a continuing plotline which was at least passably coherent.

The worst series of all time is the Battlestar Galactica remake. this show also offers a continuing plotline, but does it in a way that is so insulting, it almost makes me despise everything that I learned to love in Babylon 5.

Back