Best Wingman??

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I know this has probably been done to death, but if its ok, I'd like to get a fresh perspective on it given some of the new people around here (myself included)

I got all my games in this order SWC, WC2, WC3, WCPrivateer, Priv2, WC4, and WCP... I played the first WC when i was a lot younger, but then only replayed it recently.

That having been said... doing it all in order was somewhat painful, why? Because my favorite wingman, at least the one i worked the best with throughout all of the games: Zach "Jazz" Colson in SWC.

For starters he seems to be the most aggressive pilot you fly with in the game, and I never took much damage with him on my wing. Plus he just sounds awesome, "Let's go after those cats, Maestro!!!" (You can imagine the pain in shooting him down in WC2.

Worst Wingman: Oh jesus... well there are three I'm sorry to say... WC1: Knight... can't count on him for anything, he seems to just sit there the entire time...
WC1: Bossman... I've never been killed so many times by my own wingmen.
WC2 Hobbes: Sorry, but he seems to last for 5 minutes and then ejects... no matter how well i defend him.

So who do you guys favor/loathe?
WC

Primate is the best one.

Maniac is probably the worst for not following orders when you need him to.

Best Wingman:

WC1 - Paladin.
WC2 - Stingray.
WC3 - Hobbes.
WC4 - Panther.
WCP - Well, you can't really select one here, but my favourite was always Maestro.

Worst Wingman:

WC1 - Spirit.
WC2 - Hobbes. (Transcript of engagement: "Break and Attack" followed by Hobbes going "Ejecting" less than 30 second later.)
WC3 - Maniac, although he does all right anyway. There was no real pilot I hated flying with.
WC4 - Catscratch, poor sod hardly killed anything, no matter what I did. :p
WCP - Stiletto, God she annoyed me in flight.

Cheers,

Red Coat.

Primate is the best one.

Maniac is probably the worst for not following orders when you need him to.
Maniac's also one of the quickest to bail. I can't remember which game he does it most in, but I remember him scoring many kills in the dead zone missions but he would also return to the ship before I autopiloted a second time.

One of my all time favorites was Blade from WC4. He seemed kind of an unlikely wingman compared to the others. He had good sustainability, flying and gunnery skills. And I liked his casual responses that weren't all that creative, "I'm fine. And ready to do them more damage."

I always liked Primate. I got the impression there was some real story behind him, what with the early defection and all. I don't think you ever see him in a cut sequence or anything ever, but I imagined some kind of lively character there none-the-less.

I have to say my best wingman was probably Spirit, in WC1. I mean you're not with her for long, unless you deliberately screw up the Enyo missions I recall, but during that time, she was so reliable. She managed more kills when flying with me than any other pilot, virtually never shot me, and was good at keeping herself alive. Everyone else had something wrong with them. Manic never did what you told him, Bossman kept on getting shot down, Knight kept running away, so did Paladin (but less often - pretty reliable on the whole), Angel would send out a mayday call every fight... Hunter and Iceman weren't too bad though.

Worst, well it's hard to say. It really depended a lot on the situations. I only ever really relied on a wingman when the going got far too tough, and by then, well they were normally in trouble too. Whenever I got started on a game, I relied on the wingman a lot, but once you got to grips with the craft, they became less and less useful, and more of an occasional hindrance.

I recall playing Prophecy for the first time, and being swarmed with a dozen enemy craft, desperately calling for assistance, because I couldn't shoot any down without taking a serious hit myself, and watching all my wingmen (who were indescructable for this mission I recall) with no armour or shields being totally incapable of helping me or shooting anything else down themselves. You know how it is, you've been there.

Manic probably let me down more than anyone else over the years, purely because he's been in so many games, but he makes up for it with sheer character. Gotta love Tom Wilson. And even before the live-action ones, he was fun.

My fav was doomsday. Sure he didn't have all the talent in the world, but he stuck with you until the end.

oh yeah, and hunter. too bad he died in fleet action. wish he had some kids for future games

Sir,

Best: Jazz before he turned traitor, Hunter.

Worst: Maniac for early ejecting, or Knight - who was just useless.

Best wingman?
Let me thinks...

WC1: Nobody :) Once you pass the first two missions - enemy becomes too aggressive for your poor wingmen to be of any use. Except for Iceman, maybe :) I do remember killing those three Fralthi in SM2.
You do kill all Jalthi's except the last one, and order Iceman to deal with it. Sure thing - he never will ;) But he'll survive and you can blow the cruisers without six-gunned surprise for your tail :) So the cruisers are gone, I order Iceman on my wing, and we retreat not killing the last Jalthi :) We don't need all those Krants and Grathas come here, do we? ;)

WC2:Well, almost any wingmen has some use. Not too much, but still... But they are all equal for me.

WCIII: Hobbes and only him. Nobody else I would trust in a dogfight.

WCIV:Well, those kids at Lexington are almost useless, but BW wingmen... They are all good. But I'd chose Panther. Yes. Panther. She obeys orders, she can accomplish the mission, she's brave. And cute, too :)

WCP:Haven't flown yet

Primate.

Another veteran from the TCS Victory returns :)

nice to see him as a selectable choice, I always found him to be a solid wingman for WCIV
"Maybe I'll just negotiate with them.......on second thoughts!" :p

Worst wingman : Maniac or Knight, the former wouldn't do what I said during missions (at least in Wing III and IV he could handle himself though), and the latter couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, I just used to use him as a bullet sponge to keep the enemy fighters busy while I picked them off

WC1: Spirit best, Knight worse.
WC2: Shadow best, Hobbes worse.
WC3: Vagabond/Vaquero best, Flash/Maniac worst.
WC4: Primate, Panther best, Maniac Worst.

WC1: Spirit best, Knight worse.
WC2: Shadow best, Hobbes worse.
WC3: Vagabond/Vaquero best, Flash/Maniac worst.
WC4: Primate, Panther best, Maniac Worst.

Spirit's a good friend.
Spirit is a first wingman.
It is truly something to be remembered and never forgotten.
But do you really say than in WC1 any wingman was of any use? (I am not saying about blowing a Salthi in a Raptor ;) Any WC1 wingman would do that sooner or later :) )

best : paladin
worst : maniac (apart from the defending the ralari mission, the second worse one has to be where you're with maniac in the scimitar against the wing of jalthi, was very touch and go!)

Spirit's a good friend.
Spirit is a first wingman.
It is truly something to be remembered and never forgotten.
But do you really say than in WC1 any wingman was of any use? (I am not saying about blowing a Salthi in a Raptor ;) Any WC1 wingman would do that sooner or later :) )

Well, she never got in the way, she obeyed orders to the letter and she was able to kill the enemy when I wanted her to. Which is more than most wingmen could boast in WC1. I usually tell my wingman to go home, in wc1, and I even shoot down those awful rapiers from the TCS Tokyo or Kyoto or whatever.

Well, she never got in the way, she obeyed orders to the letter and she was able to kill the enemy when I wanted her to. Which is more than most wingmen could boast in WC1. I usually tell my wingman to go home, in wc1, and I even shoot down those awful rapiers from the TCS Tokyo or Kyoto or whatever.

:eek: That's just evil. Traitor!

I remember a mission in WC1 where if you just hung out by the 'Claw for awhile after launching, two anonymous Raptors have a headon collision for no reason and explode. It wasn't some sort of fluke because it would happen every time in that particular mission. Anyone else notice that?

maniac is by far the best wing commander III wingman..

all you have to do is cut him loose and then cover his tail. he flies like a kilrathi.

About those rapiers, i uesd to change the order of the nav points and pick up the rapiers at the last :p

I did that too. Only I destroyed them very hard. Because they killed me every single time I followed my orders to the letter.

So I left the vengeance as the dessert.

NinjaLA said:
maniac is by far the best wing commander III wingman..

all you have to do is cut him loose and then cover his tail. he flies like a kilrathi.

My personal definition of a good WC wingman is one who WON'T steal my kills. So that disqualifies all versions of Maniac right there.

That's why I like Spirit and Vagabond. They'll wait by my side as long as I want them too, and in the unlikely times that I actually need them to kill something, they'll do it.

And even then, no WC3 wingman is as deadly as Vagabond. That guy is really, really good at killing kats.

Back