Best ways to win the last SO1 mission

boringnickname

Rear Admiral
It seems that the last Special Operations 1 mission (many Gothris and two Fralthra) is one of the hardest in the franchise. How have you beaten it?

My way: I have slowed down the game (with alt +) and then used my rear turret to destroy the Gothris. I think it's the easiest way to do this mission. They actually line up and want to destroy you from behind, but with the slowdown, you have enough time to blast them one by one. The recharge rate of the rear turret gun seems to be faster, too.

My wingmen actually blasted the Fralthras all by themselves while the Gothri were busy with my rear turret.

So, how have you done it?

I have never beaten it. I had to cheat to pass it, after 45+ attempts. My wingmen try to take the Fralthra and get fried every time. In between getting shot to shit by my own wingmen, the Fralthra's gun always kills me. The closest I ever got was when I maneuvered into a position where one Fralthra was in front of the other, blocking the second ship's line of sight to me. The blocked Fralthra destroyed the one that could "see" me, and the remaining Fralthra killed me. The position I maneuvered into is a feat I have been unable to reproduce. It has been my most frustrating and angering moment since I started replaying the franchise.

The key to that mission is to decoy the Gothri away from both of the capital ships. Afterburning seems to throw off the aim sometimes. If that does not help there is another way to win the mission.

As DaveO said, you will need to engage the Gothri outside the Fralthras' flak range. Also, a four-on-four dogfight is horribly crowded and runs at a low framerate - you should lure two Gothri away from the main dogfight and create some distance between you and your wingmen.

For the actual torpedo runs, I think the replay videos speak for themselves:

DaveO's Part 1, 2

Mine Part 1, 2

There is no second chance for this mission. If you fail, you will play another mission, but it is a "losing" mission. If you fail to bag the Fralthras, you will lose the game.

Now I am wondering if there is any strategy that you can use for the "second attempt" mission.

From my memory this is the only mission in all the WC2 expansion packs with a Broadsword vs Gothri dogfight.

The good news is that a Broadsword with full shields can take a direct hit from the Fralthra's main guns. The bad news is that you trade afterburning ability...

The good news is that a Broadsword with full shields can take a direct hit from the Fralthra's main guns. The bad news is that you trade afterburning ability...

Fine by me, I love getting into a large dogfight with the Broadsword, your turrets do most of the work and you can focus on the cap ship.

Aren't they both Sabre missions?
There is no second chance for this mission. If you fail, you will play another mission, but it is a "losing" mission. If you fail to bag the Fralthras, you will lose the game.
Is this right? I thought the result was generally same, except we lose the station maybe?

Anyway, I think the second (really last mission of game) is harder than the first.

I've never had any particular tactic, except trying to get Gothris aways from the Fralthra. Remember to keep wingman with you when doing this for staters, so he'll live little longer.
With Fralthras you just have to be patient. Lock, wait till she fires, dodge, get out and try again until sooner or later the shot clearly misses you, leaving it open for a torp.

I know this is a very risky way of doing it, but I like to fly between the fralthas with a few enemy fighters on my tail... it's hard to do and takes a few tries, but it works. The cats guns fire pretty indescriminantly and you can often wind up either destroying or severely damaging a few of the enemy ships this way. The trade-off is you'll have to keep from getting hit until your shield recharge because your armor will be gone.

Still... it's the only strategy that has worked for me.

Good Luck :p

Aren't they both Sabre missions?
Is this right? I thought the result was generally same, except we lose the station maybe?
I got the same impression while watching the LP of BCSBuster (never played it myself so far, shame on me...)

However, I found that situation quite funny in the Let's Play

"Okay, now I'll finish up this Fralthras and be back in a little bit"
[cut]
"Alright, BCS Universe, I'm taking too much of a beating.... and er... I'll make my way over to the Task Force and I'm gonna get the heck out of here..." [...]
[gets hit while afterburning past the Fralthras, sparks in the cockpit]
"See, look at that! I tried multiple attempts and I just couldn't do it. "
:D

Seems his shield generator was damaged from the battle with the Gothri.

The closest I ever got was when I maneuvered into a position where one Fralthra was in front of the other, blocking the second ship's line of sight to me. The blocked Fralthra destroyed the one that could "see" me

That worked for me too, but lets just call it dumb luck.

I got the same impression while watching the LP of BCSBuster (never played it myself so far, shame on me...)

However, I found that situation quite funny in the Let's Play

"Okay, now I'll finish up this Fralthras and be back in a little bit"
[cut]
"Alright, BCS Universe, I'm taking too much of a beating.... and er... I'll make my way over to the Task Force and I'm gonna get the heck out of here..." [...]
[gets hit while afterburning past the Fralthras, sparks in the cockpit]
"See, look at that! I tried multiple attempts and I just couldn't do it. "
:D

Seems his shield generator was damaged from the battle with the Gothri.

Someone should do a Wing Commander Version Super Mario Frustration on this mission alone.

"Alright, Nintendo, we're gonna do this!"

Back