Best way to play Privateer 2 these days (Win or DOS version)?

Sweetz

Ensign
Hi everyone,

I still have my CDs for the original DOS version of Privateer 2 and for whatever reason I've suddenly become super nostalgic about the game and want to replay it. There's a good possibility I'll get 2 hours into it remember that good memories a better left as memories, but still I'd like to give it a try.

Years and years ago I replayed the game on Windows XP using the DOS -> Win 95 patch that's out there (which to my amazement looks like it's still available). However, these days on Windows 7 64-bit, I'm wondering if it'd actually be easier to run the DOS version of the game via DOSBOX.

I've played a few other games via DOSBOX - mostly stuff I bought on Steam or GoG that came with it pre-configured, but I am familiar with the basics of how to setup and adjust DOSBOX. That said, I have never tried to setup a controller with it.

I'd like to try playing it with a 360 gamepad (though I do have a proper [and properly old] MS Force Feedback 2 stick sitting in a closet, I don't want to bother with that).

So what's the best route these days, DOS or Windows version?

I would go with dosbox, though some have had reasonable success with the Windows version.

I'd recommend the dos version as from what I remember the win version has no spaceflight music. It sounds really nice on an awe64 but could use dosbox's sb16 emu just as well. (don't remember if priv2 supports ultrasound)

I'd recommend the dos version as from what I remember the win version has no spaceflight music. It sounds really nice on an awe64 but could use dosbox's sb16 emu just as well. (don't remember if priv2 supports ultrasound)
The windows version works fine... the problem with music is that MIDI isn't supported well in Win7 meaning you may have issues getting MIDI playback set up. Dosbox should handle the emulation for that aspect of it.

Back