Best soundcards for true DOS sound

Re: PCI soundcards and "true DOS": Do-able?...

Originally posted by Preacher

Those PCI cards that I've read the box of (on the store shelves) don't seem to be DOS compatible, except in a DOS window, or Win 9x "DOS mode". Yet, I do have a (?2 yr old) "Ensoniq PCI" card that, to read it's doc's on the CD, seems to be able to support "pure DOS".

So, I'm wondering if any anyone knows of, or can you recommend, any other PCI cards that'll let you play in DOS 6x?... Thanx....

Oh yes--I forgot to mention that I also have a PCI Philips "Rhythmic Edge" card sitting around never used. Can anyone tell me about pure DOS for THAT card?...

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
GO WITH THE ENSONIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Maestro-2 myself (ESS-make, wuv it), and it works with EVERYTHING! No way around it, you can't make that thing fail to work. No EAX-issues, DirectSound is always there for back-up (you know, for those games who don't really like A3D for some reason), no problems in any way with older Wing Commanders (Privateer sounds just great, as far as I can tell), AND IT'S GREAT!

:D

I love my Maestro. ;)

Can you tell me how many IRQs your Maestro-2 needs (Win+DOS emulation enabled). The live needs 2 AFAIK which is too much for my combo...

Originally posted by cff

Can you tell me how many IRQs your Maestro-2 needs (Win+DOS emulation enabled). The live needs 2 AFAIK which is too much for my combo...

What is "AFAIK"?...:confused:

Originally posted by Preacher

What is "AFAIK"?...:confused:
As Far As I Know
- I don't have a LIVE!, just know a couple of people who do so it could also be bad memory on my side.

Back