Best possible addition to WCU

mr pricky

Spaceman
Ok firstly i'm a, noob who knows almost nothing about computers or programming.
I hope to give encouragement to the guys doing the WCU project, as it sounds like a dream come true. so keep up the good work!!!
However, there where 2 things that made it very difficult for me, (knowing nothing about computers). firstly finding WCU was long and arduious,
and secondly there are no instilation instructions with the download.
of course i read the threads, but being a dumass, i obvioulsy didn't quite understand what you are supposed to do with the files.
I downloaded the code, and the data file (and update), and unzipped them in the privateer (remake) directory (programfiles/vegastrike/privateer) but is there a specific folder i have to put them in???
when i did this something very strange happend.
no new factions. no new sectors, no new ships, infact no ships at all!!!!
i launched into an totally empty gemini, no pirates at pirate bases, no confeds anywhere, only bases and me.
just what exactically do i do with these files (and how many should there be? for some reason they appear as paintshop pro files??!!!)
I guess you must have had this sort of thing so many times, but any help would be much appreciated.
and just incase it is not clear, i think that adding a readme with instilation instructions would be the best thing for WCU yet!!!

Pricky, it's no big deal if you're not the computer geek. But alas, the questions you're asking have already been answered in the forum, especially the installation instructions, which is in the stickied WCU FAQ thread:
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=17195

As for avalability, you will also see quickly that WCU still is a work in progress. That's why it isn't offered on a broad base.

Ok well i will try again.
I realize that WCU is a work in progress, but more publicity is never a bad thing right? yes i am not so good at useing computers, but I went specifically looking for WCU (after i was told about it) and it was not as easy as it was to find other projects (mostly due to the name, as any search churns out lots of results). but i got it eventually
anyways.
as a computer illiterate, how would i go about learning, how to, for example, moddel a ship or planet? what programs would i need? etc. and just how much work is it? what does it involve? and roughly how long before you reach a reasonible enough level to help out?
I'm sure some thoughtfull person has posted a thread somewhere, but i really don't have the time to search. if someone could point me in the right direction to start learning, i would be very keen to help out.

mr pricky said:
As a computer illiterate, how would i go about learning, how to, for example, moddel a ship or planet? what programs would i need? etc. and just how much work is it? what does it involve? and roughly how long before you reach a reasonible enough level to help out?
I'm sure some thoughtfull person has posted a thread somewhere, but i really don't have the time to search. if someone could point me in the right direction to start learning, i would be very keen to help out.
I recommend learing about computers as a whole first. I recommend you start reading a computer magazine for beginners (I started on computer active) and try to avoid magazines involving the phrases "Freeware" or "Utilities" as they tend to contain lots of unstable freeware and the things that they teach you in those magazines are a great way to muck up your computer.

You could also read books about computers, I personally really like the "Dummies" series of books which would help give you a good grounding when you're reading the magazines and manuals. If you have any computer literate friends talk to them about things, ask them questions and use their experience. If your unsure whether they're really computer literate, get them to read my "Things to Perplex a PC World Salesman" page on my website www.thecult.tk (under random stuff). If they understand all that jargon then you can be fairly sure that they're fairly computer literate.

Once you've done all that and feel confident with doing things like, adding components to a computer, reinstalling windows, disabling unnessecary services etc. (which could take from a few months to a few years) then you should check out some of the many modding site on the net (there are millions of mods for half life for example) and perhaps read a magazine related to game modding (the only one I have found is called "Gamemaker").

I hope this brings you on the enlightening road to geekhood and understanding of technology, but don't forget, once you're there, that you may need to go out to get sufficent vitamin D.

And I thought that bad teeth and aching bones were a side effect of drinking to much coffee. It's Vitamin D!
And even better, you just need enough sun and cholesterol, and your body produces it - beach & barbecue, here I come!

still no dice....
I'm just not getting this....
I looked in the thread, but could only find instructions for the mac. In shear despiration i tryed putting the data and code file in every possible folder i could (within the privateer directory) and starting the game. the universe is still empty! just me and my tarsus (i sing to myself when i get lonely).
i am guessing that something went wrong with the download? (even though i am not entirely shure where to put the files).
any how. thanks for the advice on getting started, with moddleing.

help!!!

It just isn't working for me,
I have uninstalled, and reinstalled privateer 1
i have downloaded and redownloaded the WCU patch.
I have unzipped the data can code file in every possible folder related to privateerr, and i still have nothing.
is there something i am missing, im pretty sure i found the root folder, (i can edit games, ships, guns etc from here)
someone help!!!
please!!!

What's going on? You need to start a new game -- you should start in a different system with a different ship. (This will NOT be in the release, it's just a quick way to remind myself that i'm using wcu code)

Nope, i start in Troy every time with a tarsus. with no new ships, no new factions in fact sometimes there are no ships at all. I have no idea what to do with the files, but i have done trial and error of every file in the directory (where i can edit game properties from), which has also yeilded no results. I have come to the conclusison that there must be something wrong with the way my computer downloads things, (i have to do it at work, behind a very powerful firewall, and i will be fired if i disable it).
I have pretty much given up trying to get it to work. any sugestions would be welcome.

Back