Beneath A Steel Sky

-danr-

Vice Admiral
Any other GoG users noticed this title appears free in your downloadable games collection?

Anyone tried it?

I downloaded it about a week ago, and as a pretty loyal adventure-gamer, can't believe I missed this one back in the day! One of the best point-and-clickers I've ever played, very much in the LucasArts style of doing things, but with darker humor, the ability to die, and a rather futuristic plot. I've just finished, took me 3hrs per day for a week.

Seriously, if you find yourself with time to kill, give it a try, I really like it.

BaSS has been free on GoG for a LONG time now - I think it was one of their freebies since they officially launched.

I believe Sierra made it free a few years before GoG - it was one of the freely available games for the Sierra Game Engine emulator years before that as well. Name escapes me at the moment.

BaSS has been free on GoG for a LONG time now - I think it was one of their freebies since they officially launched.

Seems that way, but I only use GoG for the Wing Commander titles, I didn't even notice it, nor would have downloaded it had it not been for a night of boredom, I'm sure I glad I did though.

I downloaded it ages ago and never got around to playing it cos I got the Gabriel Knight games as well

Very similar kind of game, I love GK, and you'll find BaSS the same in many ways but for a simplified control system, and IMO funnier lines. Some of the artwork and settings remind me of Privateer.

BaSS is great, I played it some years ago.
It is very funny and has an interesting story.

I really should finish it one of these days, especially as someone who has played pretty much all the other SCUMM games. Did anyone else get a very 'Tank Girl' vibe from this game, or at least from the comic book that came with it?

Very similar kind of game, I love GK, and you'll find BaSS the same in many ways but for a simplified control system, and IMO funnier lines. Some of the artwork and settings remind me of Privateer.
I got it because of the similarities to the GK series. It's just after I got the game I saw the GK games and bought them too and played them instead :D

I remember playing this on my Amiga back in the day it was 15 floppy disks!

Wow! Imagine the frustration if one of them didn't work properly.

15 floppies is actually quite economical, considering the PC version from GoG is 79MB, so even with the highest capacity Amiga disks (1.76 mb) - to have compacted the game down to about 25mb is pretty good going. Although, looking at the BaSS Amiga version on YouTube it doesn't actually look too much different, it seems they managed to cram in the musical score and even the speech!

The cd32 version had speech but the normal Amiga floppy didnt as I had the 500+ I had no HDD to install it on (I didnt get one till my A 1200) so lots of disk swapping!

Back