Behold the Untapped Potential of Animated Gifs (June 22, 2000)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Quarto and Matrix extracted and spruced up a memorable scene from Wing Commander 2 and made an animated .gif of it. In about 250 k you can see a wonderful clip of the Concordia taking out a Fralthra with its Phase Transit Cannon. Makes you want to take a fighter out and go help yourself.

--
Original update published on June 22, 2000

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember waiting for that to load up on our schools ISDN line - shared between 10 pc's!

Ah superfast broadband, we earnt you!

Regarding the 2010 news post, I still appreciate low-bandwidth options in an Internet world that takes unlimited transfer allowances for granted.

Oh, and I remember loving this animation when it was first released too. I still have a copy of it time-stamped from way back then too!

I always loved this scene, and this GIF looks great...although two questions if I may?

- Doesn't Angel refer to the Fralthra as a Kamekh in the cutscene (the one where Tolwyn gives the order to fire.) This might be just in my head.

- How come they didn't use the WC1 style explosions as standard in-flight in WC2?

Yes, Angel mistakenly refers to it as a Kamekh. We just say she was experiencing a moment of panic from the stress of the attack. :)

As for the explosion effects, I would guess that it's simply a natural development of the graphics department doing their best to 'improve' things with each release.

I really really liked the WC2 explosions. They're some of the most satisfying in the whole series I think.

Back