Before there was outlander.solsector.net there was... This thread

I don't get this, is this a new TV show, movie, or game? I have a hard time reading this post because of all the pic's.

AD, I guess you're really looking forward to that movie. So let me apologize if I've spoiled part of your fun.

Therefore let me explain - my statements might have sounded polemic, but there was some thought behind them:
I definitely understand that shooting far from the represented location for economical or mere practical reasons is common in the movie business - and the exec producer's statement might just be a glitch in the movie's marketing strategy. I'm sure weather, infrastructure and travel cost is much cheaper in Newfoundland.
I also know that VIP Medienfonds' demise has been over a year ago - and I guess putting them on the credits is also a communications glitch. I actually checked - my own employer did work for Enron and Barclay's Bank, but we don't list them as credits anymore.
And Boromir is just a name. Anybody can be called Boromir.

Therefore let me explain - my statements might have sounded polemic, but there was some thought behind them:

That's a pretty word for the fact that you're just being a jerk. You clearly have some entirely unrelated issue with a company that may or may not have had anything to do with financing the film and so have decided to attack it in an absolutely groundless way.

I also know that VIP Medienfonds' demise has been over a year ago - and I guess putting them on the credits is also a communications glitch. I actually checked - my own employer did work for Enron and Barclay's Bank, but we don't list them as credits anymore.

Movie credits are highly structured. If VIP whatever helped to pay for the film, they have to be credited -- you can't just hide the involvement of unpopular persons like some other sort of business might.

criticalmass said:

I hope this clears some things up. VIP didn't go bankrupt, but 2 of the at least 6 separate funds were disbanded to pay any party with grievances. THe president or CEO or what ever he was went to jail, and the company was restructured. You can find the explanation in german here: http://www.vip-medienfonds.de/vip_gruppe_historie.php?chid=288&sid=7da165346900c8e73e4b7e1772e6f8b9

Here's the rough google translation:
The founder of the different enterprises of the VIP group, Andreas Schmid, was to autumn a 2005 managing director for the commercial range. *Im September 2005 raised the public prosecutor's office the reproach that not all funds folder in accordance with into films had flowed, but directly for the security of the investors on bank accounts. Although these reproaches could be proven also after one year not yet and directly several independent consultants this became to deny, Andreas Schmid taken in remand. In order to turn any possible damage away from investors, the 2005 presented funds 5 and 6 were backcompleted. In the framework the VIP consultation for banks AG was transferred of the reorganization of the VIP group to 01 August 2006 into the legal form of the GmbH (with an unchanged adhesion capital of 750.000 euro). Managing director is Wolfgang Süssenberger, while Mr. Wallner is active further as advisors for the VIP group. In view of the reduced production volume Andy Grosch separated as managing directors the film & Entertainment VIP medium fund management GmbH. This is solely responsible led now by Dirk woodpecker. It was active and had long years as chartered accoutants and tax counsels deep knowledge in the film financing. These companies continue working freely from the raised reproaches and successfully produce films.

Regarding the Newfoundland Shoot which comprises the opening and closing scenes of the movie as well as some aerial shots (the Major portion of the shoot is in Nova Scotia):

It is taking place at Little Port and there will also be some scenic aerial shots of the Gros Morne area.

Some pictures of possible shooting locations in Newfoundland

Little Port:

9551k.jpg
9551l.jpg

020630B01.jpg

Gros Morne National Park:

westernbrook1.jpg
Gros_Morne_Guides2.JPG

newfi_5.jpg
newfi_11.jpg

Another Extra...

I was an extra in NL as well, it was shot in Little Port. It was a blast, despite what is now referred to in the "extra" circle as Black Tuesday. Longest day of the shoot combined with about 2 degree C weather, 60 Mph winds and standing in a bog. Most of us true vikings made it back for the rest of the shoot. I have to say it was the most fun I've had in a long time. I was even excepted into the exclusive "Non-Wiggers" group.. consisting of the lads who actually had enough hair to not necessitate the need to wear a wig. Mine of course was not one of the good wigs.. in fact, I think it made me look like one of the disciples, but at least it matched my beard really well so it looked like my own hair. I made it into a few close shots in the funeral scene being shot here. Just look for a 'wig'ger holding a blue flag. hahaha.

Here's an odd tidbit that showed up a month or so ago here: http://www.charlieloveshalifax.ca/

Do you have, or know anyone who owns any Irish Wolfhounds? The movie, "The Outlander" is going to camera October 9th and is looking for two Irish Wolfhounds. These dogs would belong to a Viking King and would be sitting or laying next to the king. If you know of anyone who has this type of dog, would you please have them contact Heather...

I assume they found their dogs but it's an interesting glimpse into the look and process of the film.

Ninth Ray Studios is also doing some of the movie's visual effects: http://www.ninthray.com/

Comprising some of the most highly respected artists and concept designers in the movie business today, Ninth Ray Studios is dedicated to developing and producing outstanding stories across all genres and media.

Iconic characters and compelling storylines are the Studio's core superpower. Previously the principals have created such icons as the Tripods for Steven Spielberg's 'War of the Worlds' and Darth Maul for 'Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace'.

Their website describes them as "visual consultants for Barrie M. Osborne and Ascendant pictures on their upcoming science fiction thriller, 'Outlander'." Yet IMDB seems to list what could be their entire staff in the Outlander credits under the art department, mostly in Concept art and storyboarding.

I also figured I should provide some shots of some of the actors I didn't the first time around (who are most likely secondary characters)

Aidan Devine .... Einar
aidandevine.jpg

Ted Ludzik .... Olaf
10m.jpg

Todd Sandomirsky ... Here in an episode of Babylon 5:
755310321_m.jpg

John Beale .... Edmund
A somewhat shakespearean Actor: http://www.johnbeale.net/

Attachments

• John Beale resize.jpg
    John Beale resize.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 219
Slight addition: Here's the page of Stephanie Lostimolo: http://www.lostimolo.com/. Over a year ago she - as a concept Artist and Graphic Designer with Ninth Ray Studios - Designed logos and props for the film.

Don't know why but the Ted Ludzik picture is being stubborn so heres a different link:

tl.jpg

Theres some minor updating done to the IMDB page for Outlander highlighting some of the casting we were already aware of. It also has a new plot description:
During the reign of the Vikings, Kainan (Caviezel), a man from a far-off world, crash-lands on Earths, bringing with him an alien predator known as the Moorwen. Though both man and monster are seeking seek revenge for violence committed against them, Kainan leads the alliance to kill the Moorwen by fusing his advanced technology with the Viking's Iron Age weaponry.

According to the IMDB the cast now stands as follows:

James Caviezel .... Kainan
Sophia Myles
Jack Huston
Ron Perlman
John Hurt .... Rothgar
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
John Beale .... Edmund
Katie Bergin .... Sonja
Matt Cooke .... Captain
Aidan Devine .... Einar
Ted Ludzik .... Olaf
Bailey Maughan .... Viking Boy
John Nelles .... Donal
Simon Northwood .... Warrior 1
Todd Sandomirsky
Cliff Saunders .... Boromir
Patrick Stevenson .... Unferth

Notably they still leave out the name for the exquisite Sophia Myles character even though for some time a website dedicated to her has been reporting for some time that the character's name is Freya.

Notable additions this time around include Ron Perlman, and also Simon Northwood as Warrior 1. Ron Perlman himself mentions his involvement in an interview from a few weeks back found here.

Ron Perlman as Hellboy:
hellboyvideoclips.jpg

Simon Northwood, pretty much a stunt performer:
sn2_perprof.jpg

It seems a new news release is floating arount the net too: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17337

I have to say that the IMDBs plot description sounds like a hacked up version of this one. It sounds way better here than the way the IMDB one was written.

Outlander began principal photography on October 16, 2006. The sci-fi action/adventure film stars Jim Caviezel (The Passion of The Christ, The Count of Monte Crisco), Sophia Myles (Underworld: Evolution, Tristan + Isolde), Jack Huston (Factory Girl), Ron Perlman (Hellboy) and John Hurt (V For Vendetta, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).

The film is helmed by Howard McCain from a screenplay he wrote with Dirk Blackman, and produced by Ascendant Pictures/VIP Medienfronds 4 in association with Rising Star.

Producers are Chris Roberts and Barrie Osbourne. The Weinstein Company will handle distribution in the United States and Wild Bunch is handling international sales.

Outlander begins when a space craft crashes into the majestic fjords of ancient Norway and into the time of the Vikings. From the wreckage emerge two bitter enemies: a soldier from another world – Kainan – and a bloodthirsty creature known as the Moorwen. Man and monster both seeking revenge for violence committed against them. As the Moorwen ravages the Viking world, killing everything in its path, Kainan forms an unlikely alliance with the primitive but fierce warriors. Combining his advanced technology with ancient Iron Age weapons, the hero leads a desperate attempt to kill the monster - before it destroys them all.

The Moorwen has been designed by famed monster/creature creator Patrick Tatopoulos (Silent Hill, I, Robot, Godzilla, Independence Day). In addition, the film's conceptual art and design was done by the team of conceptual artists (Iain McCaig and Ninth Ray) behind the "Star Wars" trilogy.

Rounding out the creative team are Cinematographer Pierre Gill (The Covenant) and Production Designer David Hackl (Skinwalkers, "Saw" II & III) and Costume Designer Debra Hanson (Beowulf & Grendel). Post-production will be handled by Toronto-based firm, Spin.

Executive Producers are John Schimmel, Don Carmody Christopher Eberts, Kia Jam, Don Carmody, Karen Loop, Dirk Blackman and Andy Grosch.

Filming continues through January 5, 2007 in Halifax and Newfoundland, Canada.

URL="http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=38788"]http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=38788[/URL]

Caviezel Talks Outlander

Jim Caviezel, who stars in the upcoming SF action-adventure movie Outlander, dropped his usual reserve and told SCI FI Wire that he's excited to be part of the epic tale. "It's going to be big," Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ) said in an interview. "Outlander is going to be big."

Caviezel is now in Canada shooting the film, which is directed by Howard McCain and tells the story of a being from another galaxy who crash-lands on Earth during the time of the Vikings. "It's kind of like Braveheart and Highlander combined," Caviezel said. "Somewhat, and really not, and much bigger."

Outlander, which was written by McCain and Dirk Blackman, follows the story of a human-like alien on Earth in 509 A.D. and the monstrous alien creature called a Moorwen that has followed him, threatening to destroy all human life. Caviezel said that he has not yet seen the creature, which will be created by designer Patrick Tatopoulos (I, Robot), but added that it will scary. (Outlander is not related to the Diana Gabaldon book series of the same name.)

Funny since some concept art has been floating around the net... :) THough I guess its also true they haven't seen the physical creation yet.

The Website for the Halifax Regional Municipality http://halifax.ca/ Mentions that most of the filming in Nova Scotia is outside of the municipality ( a good thing considering the films setting) but it adds that they will be shooting in Kidston Lake Park.

Click on the image for a quicktime VR:

Pb280048.jpg

Nothing really new in this next bit but here's another account from one of the extras on the Newfoundland shoot that was posted to a Jim Caviezel fan site:

WickedLittleMonk said:
Hey guys, just finished up friday doing the background work on Outlander. It was an awesome experiance! Jim was there, though he's a pretty private guy and didn't really talk to anyone. John Hurt, who's playing Rathgar (no idea how to spell that ) was a real nice guy, quite funny, and had a few laughs with us. We filmed the opening and closing of the movie here, though I can't divulge any of the details. However it did include burning a 60 foot viking ship. Can't wait to see the film, its going to be great.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2006/11/06/viking-ship.html
A town on Newfoundland's west coast is hoping a leftover movie prop will help boost tourist traffic.

An 18-metre replica of a Viking ship was built for the film production Outlander. In October, several scenes were shot near Lark Harbour, in the Bay of Islands.

A ship built specially for the film Outlander was used for a Viking burial sequence shot in October.
(CBC) Filmmakers gave the vessel to the town after the shoot.

However, the ship will need work: the mast and sail were burned as part of a scene depicting a Viking funeral.

A large monster's head and tail that belong on the vessel's front and back are currently in storage.

The town is considering fixing up the ship and installing it at nearby Blow Me Down provincial park.

"We're thinking that would be a logical place to put it — it would benefit both the park and the town if it were placed there," said Mayor Paul Keetch.

Resident Pauline Shepherd had never seen anything like the Viking ship.

"I think it should be left here," she said. "It's a great tourist attraction for the summertime, because we do get a lot of tourists … I'm sure that will definitely be an attraction."

The replica is currently tied down and sitting on massive blocks. The town is looking at ways to protect it from snow and rain during the winter.

Outlander, a science-fiction thriller film now being shot in Nova Scotia, is about a Viking community's encounter with an alien.

The filmmakers chose the Lark Harbour area for its mountainous backdrop. The community is about 500 kilometres south of L'Anse aux Meadows, where Norse explorers briefly settled around 1000 AD.

Another news clip to start with from http://thechronicleherald.ca/Entertainment/536781.html
After a week of shooting in Newfoundland, the cast and crew are back in the province. Filming continues until Jan. 5 in and around Halifax and in Nine Mile River where a Viking settlement is being built... Some of the local actors include Dal Theatre grad Matthew Amyotte, 10-year-old Dartmouth actor Bailey Maughan, Martha Irving, Glen Wadman and Scott Owen...

So this adds a few more names to the list.

Ok, Here's an odd one: I came across this image by chance by a photographer named Rob vanNostrand. The caption reads that it is the "Viking Settlement, Outlander movie set, in Spryfield, NS" but I guess theres a better quality version somewhere. It says that he recently covered the "event" (as in he's a photo journalist) and that "These images are available for use in commercial and editorial print/web publishing, and are readily available for fast electronic delivery. " There doesn't seem to be any more Outlander pictures on the site yet but I assume that means he has more somewhere, though not necessarily on-line:

Attachments

• Nova Scotia Outlander  set (Spryfield) - Rob vanNostrand.jpg
    Nova Scotia Outlander set (Spryfield) - Rob vanNostrand.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 281
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Entertainment/539775.html
The Vikings have landed
The big-budget, sci-fi creature thriller Outlander is filming in Nova Scotia until early January
By STEPHEN COOKE Entertainment Reporter

AFTER 1,000 years, the Vikings have returned to Atlantic Canada.

OK, they’re not real Vikings, but all it takes is a slog down a muddy back road in Nine Mile River and you’ll feel like you’ve tumbled through a time warp to a millennium ago.

An acre of land in southeast Hants County has been transformed into a Norse village for the action epic Outlander starring Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ), Sophia Myles (Art School Confidential) and John Hurt (The Elephant Man), with an impressive array of thatched huts and barns, a high stockade wall and a large royal banquet hall with a huge wooden façade.

Add the magical snowfall that blanketed the set on Monday night, and you could imagine yourself being among the Scandinavian warriors in a year with only three digits if you just ignored the bright electric lights, racks of camera and sound equipment and crew members in their all-weather gear.

"At the end of a show like this I usually burn my clothes," laughs Outlander executive producer Don Carmody while trudging through the slippery mud that lies everywhere in and around the set. He’s supervising the first evening of three weeks of night shooting on the film, which tells the tale of a Viking village that encounters a visitor from outer space (Caviezel’s character Kainan) and the alien monster which has followed him across the galaxy.

"This is the Vikings meet Predator, that’s what attracted me to it," says Carmody, whose resume includes comedies like Porky’s and Weekend at Bernie’s II as well as supernatural thrillers like Gothika and Silent Hill. "It’s a great action-adventure yarn, the same way Predator was. You thought it was some kind of war movie, and then it turns into this fight against a deadly creature from space. This is the kind of movie I’d want to see, so that’s my first criterion.

"It gets pretty scary; it gets Alien-like, at certain points. Much like Alien, you don’t see a lot of the creature at first; you’re not quite sure what’s going on. And when the characters do see the creature in all of its glory, it’s too late."

Carmody was last in Nova Scotia producing the Disney historical adventure Squanto: A Warrior’s Tale, filmed largely around Louisbourg. Initially he planned to shoot picturesque exteriors in Cape Breton, but eventually went even further to Newfoundland, to shoot in the fjords of Gros Morne and the harbour of Little Port. But besides Nine Mile River, Nova Scotia filming is taking place in Oakfield Park and Kinsac Lake, with later soundstage work being lensed in Electropolis and the Via Rail building in downtown Halifax.

But on this snowy night, director Howard McCain — who co-wrote the film with Dirk Blackman — and his camera crew are huddled in the tight confines of a blacksmith shop set. They’re filming a scene where Caviezel, in his spaceman role, has been tied up by his Viking captors. While the cameras roll, the intensely focused actor — who has played parts ranging from a U.S. soldier in The Thin Red Line to Jesus Christ — uses every muscle to strain against his bonds.

Using his foot, he manages to extract a hot iron from the blacksmith’s fire while McCain, sporting a red beard that makes him look like one of his Viking extras, tells him when to wince in pain. But Caviezel is unable to free himself before being discovered by bearded muscleman Bjorn, played by hulking Canadian actor James Rogers. Rogers roughs him up with relish, before being admonished by the fair Freya, played by Myles.

"It’s every boy’s dream, y’know?" says Rogers in his trailer, adjusting his leather armour. "You get to dress up and play make-believe and have a lot of fun, meet a lot of great people. It’s a great time. Bjorn is as Viking as it gets. He’s the most Viking in the village, he just wants to eat and kill and do everything evil that there is to do.

"It’s really fun playing him, because you get to touch on something inside yourself when you step outside the boundaries, and really run with it. . . . I had to take a little bump the other day to make Jim Caviezel look strong, that was a little tough to do," he chuckles. "Oh, I’m joking, Jim’s great. Everyone here is a professional, the stunt guys are great, so it’s been a breeze to do the physical stuff."

Rogers considers his role in Outlander a dress rehearsal for his next big assignment: a three-year contract with World Wrestling Entertainment, which will have him do pretty much the same thing, only as a deep voiced grappler named Big Deal. "Well you may be Stone Cold Steve Austin, but you’re no . . . Big . . . Deal!" he says, practising his tag line with gravelly gusto.

"It’s kind of the same thing, I’ve always been big, and it’s just easy for me to be scary," grins Rogers. "For this film you just put a beard on me and give me some braids and tattoos.

"It’s a little crazier than normal, but it’s a lot of fun."

But not all the Vikings are rampaging maniacs. Hurt plays the diplomatic king Rothgar, while his ambitious nephew prince Wulfric is portrayed by dashing British actor Jack Huston, 24-year-old grandson of famed director John Huston, sporting elaborate brass platemail armour and a striking temporary neck tattoo.

Huston’s hot-blooded prince forms one corner of the love triangle that develops between himself, Freya and Kainan, while learning what it takes to be a leader.

"The thing we love about the movie is, it’s got all these different elements," says Huston, who recently performed a stint as Andy Warhol’s photographic cohort Gerard Malanga in the story of model/icon Edie Sedgewick, Factory Girl. "It’s got sci-fi, the epic Viking setting, the romantic triangle, as well as just great characters. That’s why everyone took it on, including John Hurt, who’s the coolest guy in the world; an incredible actor, and one of the three actors you’d want to work with in your career."

Coincidentally, Hurt also starred in the late Huston’s 1969 comedy adventure Sinful Davey, but working with him isn’t the only perk for the younger Huston, whose film career is just starting to take off.

"On the whole, you only read a handful of scripts per year that you actually like," he explains. "Not to say they’re not well-written, but which personally attract you to a role. And Wulfric is a great role, there are so many layers to him, and he goes through one of the biggest journeys in the movie.

"It’s very hard to have someone who seems like a villain at the start wind up as someone the audience likes by the end of it. But Howard and Dirk have been working on this for years, they have everything mapped out in their heads, everything is storyboarded to a tee, so that’s it right there; there’s definitely a vision at work."

Attachments

• pp110706outlander3_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTCK.jpg
    pp110706outlander3_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTCK.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 226
  • pp110706outlander2_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTC3.jpg
    pp110706outlander2_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTC3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 243
  • pp110706outlander4_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTCM.jpg
    pp110706outlander4_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTCM.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 279
  • pp110706outlander7_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTD0.jpg
    pp110706outlander7_Provincial_11-09-06_GJ3RTD0.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 280
So, does anyone know if they're looking for extras at their new place? The Classics Society at Acadia University (pretty close to where they're shooting) want in. :)

Back