Beer

Blue Moon (with an orange)

For some reason, Blue Moon makes me hiccup whenever I drink it.

Yuengling is generally my beer of choice around here, mainly because it's available nearly everywhere, is cheap, and is damn tasty. I also like Bud Light, Stegmaier Oktoberfest, and Tsingtao. Sam Adams is okay, but I'm not a big fan of it.

Sam Adams (Boston Lager at times, Winter Ale when it's in season, Cherry Wheat whenever I can)

Guinness (whenever I get in the mood for Dark beer)

And (Miller) Lite (For that Everyday "thirst" :D )

I was just thinking a thread like this was appropriate after reading the Bud Light/Vagabond thread. Let's talk beer!

I can't stand many domestic beers. They are all-American piss water (AAPW) to me. Personally, I don't go for any 3.2 % beer, I opt mainly for 6.0% beers. I love wheat beer, so I am definitely down with a good 22 oz Boulevard Wheat, and Twin Peaks serves this mean blend that they have brewed specifically for them called the Dirty Blonde; that's a great beer. I also like the 6 point version of Pabst Blue Ribbon, which is the last truly all-American beer.

I have been known to have a Sam Adams every now and then, but I've only had the Boston Lager, and it's not something that tickles my taste buds very much. I drink it when it's either that or AAPW.

I like Guinness, but really, who doesn't? It's cliche, but I like it. Dos Equis is another one of my all time fave imports, but I've been known to have me a Tecate and lime on occasion, too. Heineken is another good import, and I like Negro Modelo, too. Speaking of dark beer, Shiner Bock's good when I want that dark beer flavor. Ah, then there's Rolling Rock. Only a 4 point beer, but it tastes better than AAPW, and I'm with Chris, Blue Moon is a good one, too. I believe it's a 5 point something, but it has that wheat beer taste.

Worst beer ever is a tie between Bud Light and Coors Light. "The Right Beer Now"? No way. Life's too short for bad beer.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/beer

Highball, I specifically asked that people not get into the whole shitting on American mass-brewed beer thing. I have yet to see an online discussion where that happens that doesn't later turn to complete crap.

In short, don't make me go Cartman on you.

CartmanAuthoritah-thumb.jpg

Highball, I specifically asked that people not get into the whole shitting on American mass-brewed beer thing. I have yet to see an online discussion where that happens that doesn't later turn to complete crap.

In short, don't make me go Cartman on you.

CartmanAuthoritah-thumb.jpg

Can't blame him if he likes heineken, here we refer to it as Owl's piss. :p

Guinness is terrible. I can't stand the taste of it, and it smells like someone vomited in your cup.

Guinness is terrible. I can't stand the taste of it, and it smells like someone vomited in your cup.

Maybe if you puke from over-drinking...

I find that guiness is often served in restaurants in North America at the WAAY wrong temperature. Beer is a funny thing and some might be surprised at how a few degrees warmer makes a huge difference in taste. Darker beers are generally not that great when they're ice cold.

With this being my first post.....Beer is a very good topic for me to post on.

Fat Tire is usually my first choice among beers produced on a mass scale. Nice smooth amber that has a good taste to it. Not quite as good as Killian's Irish Red, but Fat Tire is more widely available where I live because it is only 3 hours up the road from Fort Collin's Colorado where Fat Tire is brewed. Ambers are my favorite brews, and I will take one over most anything else. When I am at a microbrew/brew pub sort of place though I will go with a Porter or a Stout.

I went to college in Laramie, Wyoming and spent a lot of time at the Altitude Chop House and Brewery....if you ever end up in Laramie check it out, they make some very good beer.

Love Killian's. What's the favorite alcohol content here? Like I said before, I like 6 point beers, but what is the content % you usually go after?

Well....
Since I am from Germany I have to say (sorry to the US beers) I didn't like any american beer I tried.

My favorites
- Budvar (Which is NOT the same as Budweiser, thats a complex story)
- Pilsner Urquell (despite the german sounding name this is from the Czech Republic, too)
- Rothaus Tannenzäpfle (German beer, rather famous and from the area I live in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothaus)
- Kilkenny (a bit better than Guiness, I think)
- Guinness (the original Irish one, of course)

All of those (except the last two) are Pilsner-beers, so they have a rather bitter taste which most americans I know don't like at all. Also some of our beers here are quite strong (5.5% alcohol or more are not that uncommon, in fact it is hard to find a beer that has less than 5%). That often creates the impression that american beers are kind of "thin" and most germans don't like them because they aren't used to that. So don't be upset when you hear "There is no (real) beer in the US" from a german. They don't want to insult you, they are just used to another kind of taste.

And as you may know: German beer is chemical free (There actually was a law for that from the year 1516 on until some years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot)
And a lot of germans still don't want to drink any beer that has more than those old ingredients (like, for example, most US beers), although I admit that they can taste quite good.

Love Killian's. What's the favorite alcohol content here? Like I said before, I like 6 point beers, but what is the content % you usually go after?

Also some of our beers here are quite strong (5.5% alcohol or more are not that uncommon, in fact it is hard to find a beer that has less than 5%). That often creates the impression that american beers are kind of "thin" and most germans don't like them because they aren't used to that. So don't be upset when you hear "There is no (real) beer in the US" from a german. They don't want to insult you, they are just used to another kind of taste.

They should try a Mike's Hard Lemonade. Those actually range from 6-8%.

Id say Budweiser (Budvar). The story is long but its definitly not the same as US Budweiser.

The story is long and may bore some but here goes. The beer was first created when todays Budvar was still known as Budweis beeing part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. It continued after WW1 and WW2 and became one of the main Czechoslovakian state breweries. During that communist interlude some guys who had emigrated to the US set up their own brewery and called their beer Budweiser, which was the original name of todays Budvar and still is the name it has in German speaking countries. So when in 1989 the wall fell and communism collapsed in eastern Europe capitalism and trademark protection returned to Czech lands and the old Budweiser/Budvar brewery started a lawsuit against US Budweiser to stop using its name for their products. Long story short end, the EU protects Budweiser/Budvar beer as a product with protected geographical indication banning the US Budweiser from the EU market (only the beer). In the US the European Budweiser is sold by the US Budweiser/Annheuser-Busch brewery under an agreement with the czech Budweiser company as Czechvar or something like that.

BTW one of the few remaining spots to drink Budweiser in its original way is in Vienna at the Schweizerhaus which is to my knowledge one of the last establishments that uses a pressurized air tapping system in contrast to the normal carbonater systems. And I can tell you that this makes quite a bit of difference when it comes to drinking beer - which you normaly dont get in its uncarbonated state.

Apart from beer I realy like to have take a nap from my Single Malt collection. Got a 33 year old last year from my wife, delicious.

18%? No thanks. I like a good beer buzz, not a beer earthquake.

acme.jpg

What I will admit is that I am a relative lightweight. One 22 ounce 6 point beer gives me a minor buzz, which I like, and that's usually what I limit it to, so having a beer of the same size that is more than double that alcohol content would probably taste horrible, and knock me clean into next week. How does it taste? You didn't mention that.

As far as "don't know crap," here's what I know: I have tried Coors, Coors Light, Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, MGD, Amber Boch, Bud Select and Bud Light Wheat. YMMV, but I can not stand ANY of them. As for this super beer you named, it's certainly not available at my local grocery store or on tap at my favorite steakhouses. For a casual beer drinker, I think I am just about as well versed as most anyone else. Of course, I do not consider myself to be a beer connesuir by any means, so I have most like not heard of nor tried many beers out there that exist.

However, I have tried just about all the mainstream American beers that any schmuck like me can buy at a grocery store. I have never seen Dogfish Ale anywhere, and your post is the first I've heard of it.

Its nice to see you're willing to admit that you don't know crap. Dogfish Head - an American domestic - has a stout that has 18% ABV. Its my former pre-game beer at $9 a bottle.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/world-wide-stout.htm

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/2618850

45%, Basically this would taste like absolute crap I believe. The brewer made it because he was tired of all of those breweries who are trying to get the title of strongest beer...

Back