Beer

-danr-

Vice Admiral
The thread about the Vagabond Bud-Light ad has got me in the mood for drinking, but before I go...

What's your favourite beer? (or spirit if you must)

For me, it's unquestionably Tiger, but failing that I'll settle for London's favourite, Bombardier...

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

Bigger bottle, nutty after taste replacing the sour one you normally get from beer, what's not to like?

Tecate in a glass with lime and salt.

Preferably during a meal with a steak, or maybe a bacon cheeseburger.

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but when I do want one I lean towards something darker edging towards a stout even. Ricards Red is decent, and not overly dark.

On another note, a lot of the girls here like Corona (which is hardly beer which I think is why they like it)... It's drinkable with a lime wedge but not something I would pick unless offered it without a suitable alternative.

Beer is something we can all enjoy... Actually I am glad to hear somebody around here enjoyed a good Grolsch, but if you have the choice, I recommend you "alpha". that has a richer aftertaste.

Favorite beer: Hertog Jan.

Favorite "meal" beer would be Murphy's stout, or Grimbergen Triple.

I also like Mead, and bloodwine(the viking version, not the klingon one)

We also have a drink based on lemon, at least from my part of the country, called "Gelderse zure", that you serve in small "shooter" glasses besides your beer.

As for spirits, I enjoy goldstrike, served lit(on fire), and the occasional "ol' no' 7"

What's my favorite beer?

One that someone else pays for. :D

Seriously, I don't have much of a preference. Given a choice, if I'm on a budget I go for Rolling Rock, and if not so limited in funds Guinness.

When in Atlanta, though, I do try to catch at least one Red Brick Ale, a local microbrew, every once in a while. Yum. :)

Yeah, the US gets Guinness in all sorts of varieties. I vaguely recall some beer snob going on about how it's not "real" Guinness, but the way I see it anyone who gets snobby about something like beer isn't worth the air they breathe. :p

(And on the subject, tangentially, of the US and beer, I know it's popular to dump on mass-produced American beers like Budweiser and such, but I would appreciate it if this thread didn't get stupided up with that kind of crap. And yes I know "stupided" isn't a word. Deal. :p)

I know it's popular to dump on mass-produced American beers like Budweiser and such

No risk of that from me, friend. I've not tried that many American beers, but I've never found one I dislike. As for Guiness, well it's the same the world over, there are people complain about its authenticity even here in the UK, despite the fact it's brewed in Ireland.

guinness-is-good-for-you.jpg

Anything made in the Czech Republic.

I was there for a week once, and that had to be the best beer I'd had in my life. I only recall trying one or two brands (one was "Budvar", can't recall the other), but they were both fantastic.

And cheaper than water. Literally. A bottle of water was about 20% more than a pint of beer. With the exchange rate at the time, a pint of beer was roughly $0.42 U.S.

timothy taylors landlord - awesome!

budvar is the original budweiser as i recall,as for the guiness snobbery,my lass is irish and claims that it tastes differently when drunk in ireland compared to in the UK, can't taste it myself but hey ho.

Yes, I also believe budvar is thesame recipe as Budweiser. (And well since you agreed nobody should dump on budweiser, lets keep Heineken out of it also)

I think the beer Farbourne means might be "Union", It's the second-biggest brand overthere I believe, cheap(for our standards), when I attend the "metalcamp" festival in slovenia, I usually leave my tent there and use the space that I then have left to fill my car up with "union"(and fuel is cheap there too)

As for the guinness en genuine deal: When Grolsch opened up a second brewery in another city, people started claiming that they could taste the difference between the two factories because the water they used came from a different source. Personally I think those people need to get a life.

Anything by Shepard Neame (Spitfire, Bishop's Finger, Master Brew, etc) if I have the money, if not it's Carling or Fosters

Spirits it's JD or a good single malt Whisky

Back