Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Malcolm Reynolds

Rear Admiral

I know there are some Battlestar fans around here. I'm certainly one, so I thought I'd post the trailer for the new series. It might be terrible, but it also might be awesome. At the very least it looks like there will be some cool space battles. No release date yet but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Wait a minute, this actually looks like something fast-paced, so the trend where a sci-fi series consists of a bunch of people sitting a poor lighted room whispering to one-another is finally over?

I'll give these BSG people one thing - they're squeezing this sucker dry quickly.

Wow. That trailer has possibly the worst soundtrack I've heard... ever. Does that kind of shit pass off as music these days?

Yeah, the music is pretty awful. Apparently Bear McCreary just finished scoring the pilot though. I'm actually pretty excited for it, even if people here thought the original show was boring or a soap opera you have to admit it played a big part in revitalizing the genre. The thing that really bothers me is that SyFy is concerned about putting it on TV as they think it's not what their target audience wants. What exactly is there target audience? I suppose it's not science fiction fans.

It's been taken offline, anyone has it cached or knows a mirror to this one?

I didn't hear the soundtrack, because I watched it in the office this afternoon, and I purposely don't do audio in the office... Is the soundtrack at least orchestral? Please no neo-gothic/industrial over-used sawtooth synths with distorted guitar chords...

I didn't hear the soundtrack, because I watched it in the office this afternoon, and I purposely don't do audio in the office... Is the soundtrack at least orchestral? Please no neo-gothic/industrial over-used sawtooth synths with distorted guitar chords...
That's the thing. It wasn't orchestral. It was some awful piece of techno (could be neo-gothic/industrial for all I know - I don't recognise the differences between all those non-music genres :) ) with vocals. It was terrible.

As for the show itself... I must admit, I actually did endure the whole series, but it was more a case of determination than enjoyment. I just don't like leaving things unfinished, and I guess I was curious as to how it would all end. But generally, the more I watched it, the more I hated the plot and the characters. It seemed terribly contrived and inane, and the political commentaries were just... ok, that's not the subject here :). That being considered, I do not think I will want to touch this new show. I expect it will have great effects, great action sequences, and equally horrible plot and characters. Or heck, maybe they'll reach new lows, who knows? I don't expect them to be better than before, in any case...

What I saw was an all-out war, Quarto and I probably have different musical tastes, but in core there is not that much difference between heavy metal and an orchestral piece from Wagner, but even I would hate an amped up guitar "accenting" an orchestral soundtrack. People I know play that music, because it is easy to do, but it rarely works out in my opinion. From what I saw this takes place between "caprica" and "neo-BSG", when the battlestars where brandnew(in the original series, apollo(who plays some evil president-wannabe guy in the neo-series), mentions that she is over 500 years old, and in the neo-series, she was already a museum. From what I saw, it appears to be a documentary of one massive battle, aiming at the first cylon war, where the battlestars were state of the art and in the heat of battle.

Here is a link for a non-youtube version: http://io9.com/5895080/totally-bada...galacticas-cylon-war-prequel-blood-and-chrome

I'm not sure about when/how they are setting this. Supposedly, Husker's first battle was also his last, (I think some kind of commentary on wasted potential) so they are going to have to retcon something. Ronald D. Moore isn't on this project either. Sigh.They could have set this show in the first cylon war and created entirely new characters, which would have been pretty cool. Or, if it was just a one-shot movie that would also work. Hopefully this won't be like the Star Wars prequels.

Also, Mace, I'm pretty sure Galactica was supposed to be 50 years old, not 500.

Also, Mace, I'm pretty sure Galactica was supposed to be 50 years old, not 500.
Actually Mal, he's right, in the original series Galactica and many of her sister ships were 500 or more years old. Mace just worded it in a way that could be misinterpreted as him talking about the new series. You are right though, in the new series, the Galactica is the oldest in the fleet at being about 50 years old

Actually Mal, he's right, in the original series Galactica and many of her sister ships were 500 or more years old. Mace just worded it in a way that could be misinterpreted as him talking about the new series. You are right though, in the new series, the Galactica is the oldest in the fleet at being about 50 years old

Ahhhh...I see now. I thought maybe he accidentally typed an extra zero. Derp.

The trailer song is Trent Reznor's remix/remake of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song... It was used in the trailer for the hollywood version of Dragon Tattoo... And this Battle Star trailer thing is copying the format of the tattoo trailer as well, especially towards the end with the way the title cards are intercut.

If the series were to co-exist in thesame universe, commander Adama would be over 600 years old then when he reached earth. I did not type an extra zero, in the original series when Adama seperates the battlestar from the fleet, colonel Ty warns him that the FTL system has not been used for decades, and the ship might break apart when using it, and in the episode where Starbuck and Apollo find a hidden communications room that receives a television broadcast of the moonlanding in the 60's, it is mentioned by Adama that the galactica is over 500 years old, and that there is noway of telling how old the original broadcast is, so they decide to leave it be, and not mention it to anyone.

In the re-imagined series, the battlestar Pegasus is more advanced, bigger, and has superior weapons, in the original series, where Cain was a man, and Apollo's girl was the Cains daughter, the ships were identical in every way.

Don't worry about it. LeHah doesn't like people picking on the Prequels... though to be fair, in a way picking on them is kind of a cheap shot.

Its not picking on them. Its stupidly picking on them - and in this case, a lame attempt to prove some nebulous point.

Its not picking on them. Its stupidly picking on them - and in this case, a lame attempt to prove some nebulous point.

Well, I'm sorry that I offended you. My point is that the Star Wars prequels are generally considered to be a big misstep in the Star Wars saga. I actually really like parts of those movies, mostly the action scenes. It's the plot an the dialogue that take so much away from what could have been great movies. I thought this forum was a place to discuss things of common interest, not to get hyper-offended when some one has an opinion that isn't the same of yours. You like the prequels and I don't? That's fine. I don't call you lame and stupid because you don't like Battlestar.

Anyway, I don't want to start a fight. I was just trying to share and discuss something I liked.

I liked the beginning of the '05 series even though some of the character choices rubbed me the wrong way in the beginning, one in particular. There was quite a bit of action. While I don't agree with every ship having the same computer system or os or tracking software (pick any one) and the fact that one person was somewhat a major force behind all versions of it or had access to all the code. I just couldn't see that type of thing happening in a military. I know some of the protocols being a retired winger (2nd MAW was my last posting) myself. I still liked the series. I got busy in '06 again and had to wait for a while before I was able to watch the other seasons but it got to be where there was too much drama later on. I felt the same thing happened with SGU as a series. Now, before anyone gripes to the high heavens by NO means am I comparing the two. BSG was a much better show hands down. I just started to feel I was watching one of my grandmothers old soap operas. (she loved guiding light) Who's a cylon? Me, me too, me three , me four, me FIVE, come on now, really? Bah! I just felt it could've done without a smidgen of the crisco.

On the SW topic, I find it to be a mute topic, done to death. But Episode 1 in 3d=great. Binks swatting you in the eye with his tongue in theaters again? Really? Meh. Will I buy a set on 3d Blu-ray when Lucas starts loosing his extra chin? Probably.

Back