Battle for the Verdun

Crazy J said:
... So I can join the pirates and get a new intro into episode 2?
No, if you join the pirates, you (presumably) get court-martialled and shot :p.

Ok, so I can save the Verdun and lose the minelayers, but still stay on the winning path by saving both destroyers? If I lose the Sao Paulo, do I get stuck on the losing path intro for the next episode?
Correct.

Ironically, I didn't find coming into Episode 3 on the losing path was that horribly difficult. It was just the fact that everyone hated me for some odd reason...
Well, everyone generally expects the commander of a forty-fighter wing to be capable of dealing with a single destroyer, so you kinda disappointed them :).

Only way I ever lost that final Ep 2 mission was intentionally. Now I do it all the time just because I like the Sirius missions better in Episode 3. Don't get me wrong I love the Warsaw Battle. It's just that the notion of a carrier alone in spave and being pursued by a battlegroup... rocks. Which is why I say I think it's too easy to win episode 2 and never even know the Sirius campaign exists unless you frequent these forums. That's how I learned about it.

Sirius also, to my knowledge, contains the one mission which is impossible to win. At least it was when i tried it.

Falcon988 said:
Only way I ever lost that final Ep 2 mission was intentionally. Now I do it all the time just because I like the Sirius missions better in Episode 3. Don't get me wrong I love the Warsaw Battle. It's just that the notion of a carrier alone in spave and being pursued by a battlegroup... rocks. Which is why I say I think it's too easy to win episode 2 and never even know the Sirius campaign exists unless you frequent these forums. That's how I learned about it.

Sirius also, to my knowledge, contains the one mission which is impossible to win. At least it was when i tried it.
Not Sirius - Mastif. Or Weslyn, I get the two of them mixed up for some reason. Sirius, in any case, will be episode 4.

Also, I don't recall any unwinnable missions in there - if you failed something, I'm afraid it's your own fault :).

Quarto said:
Also, I don't recall any unwinnable missions in there - if you failed something, I'm afraid it's your own fault :).
Unless you count the lone ship pursuit as a faillure, Q ? ;)

Quarto said:
Not Sirius - Mastif. Or Weslyn, I get the two of them mixed up for some reason. Sirius, in any case, will be episode 4.

Can't wait for the Battle of Sirius to begin....

PopsiclePete said:
Anyway, we made the missions hard in Standoff for three reasons; first because we want people to play the loosing path (too many people fly the same mission again and again until it's won), second because it's aimed at WC fans who don't need to have it easy, and third because it's after the false armistice, when so many Confed ships were mothballed you have to face more heat from the Kilrathis.

Hey, is there a guide of sorts coming out anytime soon? I'd like to visit all the possible paths of this game, but I have a hard time losng missions on purpose, so I'd like to do it as least as possible. :)

Unless it's Kurosawa 2, because I just like Rostov.

Losing is so hard to do. I try to do the different branches through standoff, but I often find it very hard to simply let people die and kats get away.

PopsiclePete said:
Unless you count the lone ship pursuit as a faillure, Q ? ;)

Is that the one where the Firekka gets ambushed by the Ralatha at the end? Because that's the one I was referring to when I said it was unwinnable. I made a thread about it a few months ago. http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=20198. I'm going to replay the losing path of episode 3 soon to see if I run into the same problem as I described in that thread.

Falcon988 said:
Is that the one where the Firekka gets ambushed by the Ralatha at the end? Because that's the one I was referring to when I said it was unwinnable. I made a thread about it a few months ago.
No, this one is definitly easily winnable... it may be that you have lost too many fighters in the previous missions ?

Falcon988 said:
Is that the one where the Firekka gets ambushed by the Ralatha at the end? Because that's the one I was referring to when I said it was unwinnable. I made a thread about it a few months ago. http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=20198. I'm going to replay the losing path of episode 3 soon to see if I run into the same problem as I described in that thread.
Well, if that mission is unwinnable, it's not intentional - like I said before, there appears to be some kind of bug in there.

Crazy J said:
I've never that hard a time saving the Verdun - and personally I hate the navmap. I never used it and was still able to save the Verdun - though I shall admit that she still got one torp up the... docking bay. At least she was still in one piece.

Thats the other thing you have to watch with the Verdun. Even though the mission isnt too hard if you know what your doing, it blows up after 2 torp hits which is a bit of a surprise considering the Firekka and confed destroyers can take 3 hits before blowing up and their only 1/2 the size of the CV.

As for the navmap it can be useful but you can't really freeze time and study everything thats happening in the battle because a) you dont have time and b) you will probably get killed

I don't like using the Navmap either, because freezing time to take stock of the situation feels like cheating.

But the comms chatter is helpful... whenever confed pilots note new incoming waves (e.g. "enemies inbound, pick your targets," etc.), I take a few seconds to do a fast-cycle through all the targets and take note of any bomber silhouettes. Sure, it takes a few seconds - and that's precious seconds on the clock while the Grikaths get their torpedo locks... but if you don't like using the Navmap because it spoils the action, this way works well enough most of the time.

Saving the Verdun isn't too hard if you pay attention to when wave 2 shows up. The Sao Paolo, on the other hand... geez, that situation's worse than Kurosawa 2. Kurosawa 2 is a 50-50, if you afterburn in the whole way and continuously taunt all 4 (or 5?) Gratha into attacking you during the whole dogfight. I'm sure someone here's managed to save the Sao Paolo (and some braggart is going to claim that it's easy even on Nightmare), but I haven't managed it yet.

Dundradal said:
Losing is so hard to do. I try to do the different branches through standoff, but I often find it very hard to simply let people die and kats get away.

Mm, I share the sentiment - a quick, relatively painless way to "lose" missions is to just eject after launch. You don't see anyone die, the kats still get away - but all you lose is one fighter on the roster. Be flying a Gladius when you do it, if you can manage it ;)

Then I don't get that losin' feeling.

Toast said:
Mm, I share the sentiment - a quick, relatively painless way to "lose" missions is to just eject after launch. You don't see anyone die, the kats still get away - but all you lose is one fighter on the roster. Be flying a Gladius when you do it, if you can manage it ;)

Then I don't get that losin' feeling.
That gives me the 'givin up' feeling. :p

Lt.Death100 said:
That gives me the 'givin up' feeling. :p

Dude, then I can't help ya :p

Some of the losing path missions are pretty cool, they're worth the trouble.

Cheers.

Toast said:
I'm sure someone here's managed to save the Sao Paolo (and some braggart is going to claim that it's easy even on Nightmare), but I haven't managed it yet.
While I don't normally play on nightmare, the mission really is easy :). The Sao Paulo is one of my favouritest missions in the game, because of the way it works - it's easy to lose it, and just as easy to win. You just have to figure out what to do. In this particular case, all you need to do is hang out behind the Sao Paulo's engines, the area where all the torpedoes will be fired. You just have to gun down the torpedoes, and kill the Grikaths in-between torpedo runs.

Quarto said:
While I don't normally play on nightmare, the mission really is easy :). The Sao Paulo is one of my favouritest missions in the game, because of the way it works - it's easy to lose it, and just as easy to win. You just have to figure out what to do. In this particular case, all you need to do is hang out behind the Sao Paulo's engines, the area where all the torpedoes will be fired. You just have to gun down the torpedoes, and kill the Grikaths in-between torpedo runs.

Son of a bitch...that made it a lot easier...

Quarto said:

okay. This I gotta try for myself.

Back