Batting .500

climber

Spaceman
Ok, clear this up for me. I dont understand what Jazz means when he says there is nothing wrong with batting .500 It makes no sense to me. Is it a baseball thing

If this has been answered before I applogise, I did search for it but turned nothing up.

Yes. Batting .500 means you hit the ball 50% of the time -- which would be amazingly great in baseball, but not so good in saving your space carrier.

It's a taunt with a double-meaning.

"You could save the Concordia, but you couldn't save the Tiger's Claw." This way it looks like he's rubbing it in Blair's face. In other words, "You're not so hot."

But, it seems to me that it's also a reference to Jazz's feelings about Blair's failure to save Goddard Colony. He saw that as blatant neglect on the part of the Tiger's Claw, and stated it as his reason for joining the Society of the Mandarins.

So, it's a slap in Blair's face and a subtle foreshadowing of Jazz's motives for treason.

This Goddard thing as the reason for joining the Madarins is quite weak... So if someone kills someone dear to me, I'll join him to kill the cop that wasn't around to stop the murder? It is quite insane. He may use that as an excuse for himself. But he probably had some other real reason unknow even to him.

I agree. It is rather hypocritical: hating Blair for letting the Kilrathi kill all the humans on Goddard, and then joining an organization that cooperates with the Kilrathi and kills humans. That's some pretty twisted thinking, and would represent some pretty severe cognitive distortion or pathology.

Edfilho said:
This Goddard thing as the reason for joining the Madarins is quite weak... So if someone kills someone dear to me, I'll join him to kill the cop that wasn't around to stop the murder? It is quite insane. He may use that as an excuse for himself. But he probably had some other real reason unknow even to him.
Afaik, the Claw detoured briefly to attack a Kilrathi transport on the way to Goddard (I seem to remember that you fly that mission). She would never have made it in time anyway, but I think that was one of the reasons that Jazz was so angry. To extend your analogy: it was as if the cop was next door having a doughnut at the time, after you'd rung for the police. I don't think that's how things happened, but I think that's how Jazz saw it.

Jazz was helping the Kilrathi but it seemed he only cared about you and maybe other Tiger's Claw pilots. I think his grudge was with the Tiger's Claw survivors and not with the Confederation. He seems to blame the Tiger's Claw for not being there as the reason for the destruction of Goddard, not the Kilrathi. So though he's helping the race that destroyed the colony he's more fixated on his blind rage towards the Claw than anything else.

Either way, thanks for the heads up about what .500 means. I have to say though what WC2 is to WC1 in terms of coolness and extra features and interesting bits and bobs is certainly not repeated in WC3 to WC4, prophecy never really featured.

He started off with a grudge against the Tiger's Claw, but by the end he was a full blown agent... look how happy he was to have recieved a Kilrathi medal from the prince. Thrakhath consciously manipulated him from disgruntled man into full blown Kilrathi patriot.

climber said:
medal? when does he get that medal and where in the games does it talk about it?
Jazz mentions it towards the end of the Canewdon 3 series of missions.

Jazz: Please– Call me “Jazz”. I’m afraid you’re only hired help, Captain. Not a sworn Mandarin. I’ve loyally served the Kilrathi for over ten years. Prince Thrakhath himself awarded me with a Kilrathi medal.

And of course remember that the Mandarins *weren't* a group of moustache-twirling villains helping the Kilrathi for no reason. They truly believed that the only way to win the war was to submit to the Kilrathi and then change them from within. It's possible that Jazz believed in this goal.

Back