Bad movie going experiences

Jdawg

Commodore
I was browsing youtube today and I found this video, figured I would share it and then tell yall a story or two that has happened to me at my local theater.

I have two stories for yall but before I get to that, let me tell you another problem I am having with movie theaters as a whole. that problem is all the annoying commercials before the trailers; there are far less commercials on basic tv than in theaters now and that is sad. In fact there are less trailers nowadays and more commercials before a movie and what really makes me mad is that we are already paying between 12 to 25 dollars a ticket depending on rather the movie is in Imax or not, we should not have to pay that much only than to be subjected to commercials on top of that cost. Now two quick stories. the first one was when my wife and I went to see the gift. there was a group of middle aged white women behind me that were literally talking about their day throughout every trailer before the movie started. I finally sighed really hard and was about to say something when my wife turns around and says to them and I quote, "listen here we are here to watch this movie not hear about your day, if you cant keep quite I will go get an usher. she then looks at me and whispers I got your back baby, I know movies are like a religious experience for you." I have never been more in love at that moment lol. story two was when I was seeing The Martian, the theater was packed and I had a woman in her early 20s next to me who decided it was ok to sit cross legged in her seat so that her knee was on top of my leg and not only was that ok but it was also ok for her to bounce her legs the entire time causing her seat and mine to shake like a roller coaster. after about 35 minutes I finally said something and she looked appalled that I would dare call her out on her bad behavior but at least she stopped. the funny part was she was either with her boyfriend or on a date, because the guy sitting next to her mouthed to me that he was so sorry. In reality I felt sorry for him because he was dating her lol.

what about yall what have you experienced this can be like therapy for us ha ha

Sounds familiar, and there are numerous theaters popping up, and even starting a countrywide franchise around here who do limited showings for the real blockbuster on special hours, or in a smaller hall for people who "just want to watch the movie", without irritating themselves by housewives discussions, or loud-talking smartphone-addicts who got sent to the cinema by their parents with a bunch of friends so they are not hanging around on streetcorners...
They also by popular request re-integrated multiple breaks in the movie, so you can actually discuss the events in the movie then while getting new refreshments, and don't have to worry about shutting up.

In my experience the most "quiet" times to see a movie are the last showings on weekdays. Never go in the weekend(supervised pre-teen birthday parties)

Some of these theaters even have "private booths" now, for a party of up to eight, where you can order drinks to your table.

But realise, even moviefanatics can get irritated by each others presence when they don't know eachother...

I have now banned my wife from having a bag of sweets as she will rustle the bag trying to select the next one that she wants to eats, plus she noisly chomps on them whilst being absorbed in the movie.

We went to see Shawn the sheep a while back (I'm still a kid at heart) and there was a mum and three kids behind us, and the kids had an attention spand of a few minutes, they were talking throughout the film, constanly asking mum questions about what was happening, why and if things would be ok. The girl behind my wife was kicking the back of her chair, she got really pissed and said something, the mum just acted oblivious and wouldnt respond.

The last time we went to a small private cinema we had the opportunity to buy the seats next to us at a reduced rate - didn't take it but it was nice to know that we could.

I think I read somewhere that a guy bought every seat for the showing of the most recent star wars film.

Despite the bad experiences there are some great experiences - the last film we saw was a sing-a-long viewing of Nightmare before Christmas, I loved it, there were people dressed up, some stand up comedians held a costume competition. I'm just hoping that the place shows Rocky Horror again :p

My major peeve is theatres with poor sound - usually too much bass and completely unbalanced. I sort of grew used to paying for the premium shows - the ones with high end audio, IMAX, D-Box, etc. Because these theatres are required to calibrate their audio systems to a specified level - something able to give a good kick when needed, but not leave you feeling bruised and battered.

Plus, I found those who pay for the premium theatres don't do stupid stuff - when you're paying extra for IMAX, or 3D/D-Box/Atmos, you're there to see the movie.

I normally don't go to the movies - I'm something of a misanthrope to start with - because people are too interested in their cells phones (I shut mine off), bring children to movies that they won't sit through (I gave two parents a good verbal lashing when their six kids couldnt sit still for Raiders Of The Lost Ark), or just general "people are stupid" stuff. I get that sometimes life gets in the way and things happen but... I always end up sitting right behind a woman who snuck in a Costco sized bag of greasy potato chips and is using it like a horse troth.

If I want to see a movie, 10 am on Sundays or I'll take the day off of work and go.

Sounds familiar, and there are numerous theaters popping up, and even starting a countrywide franchise around here who do limited showings for the real blockbuster on special hours, or in a smaller hall for people who "just want to watch the movie", without irritating themselves by housewives discussions, or loud-talking smartphone-addicts who got sent to the cinema by their parents with a bunch of friends so they are not hanging around on streetcorners...
They also by popular request re-integrated multiple breaks in the movie, so you can actually discuss the events in the movie then while getting new refreshments, and don't have to worry about shutting up.

In my experience the most "quiet" times to see a movie are the last showings on weekdays. Never go in the weekend(supervised pre-teen birthday parties)

Some of these theaters even have "private booths" now, for a party of up to eight, where you can order drinks to your table.

But realise, even moviefanatics can get irritated by each others presence when they don't know eachother...
I would so pay extra for this movie going experience..................

and for the record some noises are fun if done right, like I saw the force awakens on opening night and there were cheers when han solo luke and leia came on, and thunderous applause when the stars wars text came up. that is fun and gets you in the mood. I think chris (the guy from the video is correct) the worst movies to see in theaters are horror movies bc there is always a person commentating on what they see

One I'll never forget is when I had to go see the stupid Fifty Shades movie. We went to some super pricey eat-in theater in Redmond. Seats were nice and everything but in the front row was this woman who was TANKED! Like barely keep herself together tanked before the movie even started. Once it did, she kept yelling "You go, girl! woo woo!" every time the female lead did basically anything....and then she puked all over the floor. The sound of it was quite audible. Her friend helped guide her out of the theater (the drunk one could barely hold the railing leading out of the theater) and never returned...and also never told anyone that she had thrown up because no one came to see it for quite a while...but that's not all.

At the end of the movie during the emotional climax another woman in the front row just started laughing hysterically at a point that was not funny. And it went on for a number of minutes. After the credits started to roll, I'd say about 80% of the theater started yelling at this woman about how they didn't come there to hear her laughing. It was an odd night.

One I'll never forget is when I had to go see the stupid Fifty Shades movie. We went to some super pricey eat-in theater in Redmond. Seats were nice and everything but in the front row was this woman who was TANKED! Like barely keep herself together tanked before the movie even started. Once it did, she kept yelling "You go, girl! woo woo!" every time the female lead did basically anything....and then she puked all over the floor. The sound of it was quite audible. Her friend helped guide her out of the theater (the drunk one could barely hold the railing leading out of the theater) and never returned...and also never told anyone that she had thrown up because no one came to see it for quite a while...but that's not all.

At the end of the movie during the emotional climax another woman in the front row just started laughing hysterically at a point that was not funny. And it went on for a number of minutes. After the credits started to roll, I'd say about 80% of the theater started yelling at this woman about how they didn't come there to hear her laughing. It was an odd night.
dundradal you win so far, not only bc you got drug to see that god awful movie, which was fan fiction of twilight, but the "author" changed the names of the characters after it got popular (true story) but that is a lot of BS to deal with in general.

One I'll never forget is when I had to go see the stupid Fifty Shades movie.
Fifty Shades? That's your problem, right there :). I do think you're fooling yourself, if you say you "had to" go see it, though. There are things where you just say no, regardless of who is asking and how much they're insisting - and that piece of filth is absolutely one of them. Rather than going along, you want to save others from being exposed to it by insisting that they shouldn't go either. In any case, it's hard to be surprised about the behaviour of the audience you describe - stupid movies have a way of attracting stupid people, and immoral filth has a way of attracting immoral filth. So yeah, of course you'd encounter drunks and idiots at the Fifty Shades movie - which should have served you as a just-in-time reminder that you're better than that, and certainly too good to be in that theatre at that time :).

I would so pay extra for this movie going experience..................

and for the record some noises are fun if done right, like I saw the force awakens on opening night and there were cheers when han solo luke and leia came on, and thunderous applause when the stars wars text came up. that is fun and gets you in the mood. I think chris (the guy from the video is correct) the worst movies to see in theaters are horror movies bc there is always a person commentating on what they see

Yes, and ofcourse we all laughed when Hulk beat up Loki in the first avengers.... but only happens when people WATCH the movie.

And here's the fun thing about those extra "experiences". You don't have to pay anything extra, the cinema in question is actually targeting the audience, with theatres getting less and less visitors, and competetive franchisers taking over bad running theaters, lowering ticket prices, modifying them into the things visitors miss or want(multiple food/drink booths, a smoking section, 15-minute breaks back, cheaper snacks and beverages, 3D glasses to keep for 1(!) euro...

And I really, really agree Quarto on his last statement :D Next time stay home and play Wing Commander!

Does anybody else find eating sounds annoying?

I know that having popcorn at the cinema is tradition and maybe I'm turning into a moaning old man, but I sometimes feel when watching a multi-million pound blockbuster that the audio score wasn't designed to have a constant overlay of slurping and chomping sounds. Perhaps some people should learn to eat with their mouths closed - there's always somebody at every cinema who eats loudly and distracts me.

I know that having popcorn at the cinema is tradition and maybe I'm turning into a moaning old man, but I sometimes feel when watching a multi-million pound blockbuster that the audio score wasn't designed to have a constant overlay of slurping and chomping sounds. Perhaps some people should learn to eat with their mouths closed - there's always somebody at every cinema who eats loudly and distracts me.
I dont mind if they munch in rhythm only when they munch off beat lol do my ears bleed

Popcorn is okay, crisps/chips are not, especially the "crackling of the bag", while the atmosphere in the movie is building on a scene that is quiet.

Popcorn is okay, crisps/chips are not, especially the "crackling of the bag", while the atmosphere in the movie is building on a scene that is quiet.

Yes, actually you're right - I think is the chips/crips that are loudest, and I'm certain there are some that eat them with their mouths wide open!

Fifty Shades? That's your problem, right there :). I do think you're fooling yourself, if you say you "had to" go see it, though.

Sometimes, Quarto, you have to do a tactical retreat to achieve a strategic advance. :p

Sometimes, Quarto, you have to do a tactical retreat to achieve a strategic advance. :p
Certain strategic advances, Dund, turn out to be traps :).

Back to the topic at hand, though... I was somewhat bemused when I went to see The Force Awakens, and there were all these kids running around the cinema and making noise. To be clear, it absolutely is a movie that kids can watch, no matter what the ratings say (and around here, it had a shockingly high M rating - which meant that while no one was disallowed from watching, formally it was recommended for 15+), but... you know, if you take your kids into a movie that supposedly they shouldn't be watching, wouldn't you want to, like, tell them to keep a low profile?

Needless to say, though, once the movie started, the kids were by far the least annoying members of the audience. They were watching the movie to the point of ignoring the rest of the universe, as kids do. Other people... not so much. The kids did get annoying again during the credits, though. And I think that overall, that would be my (rather mild, I suppose) top complaint about cinema movie watching experiences - a) people who start talking loudly the moment the credits begin, seemingly oblivious to the fact that musically, this is often one of the top parts of the film, and b) the cleaning staff strutting around to give you a not-too-subtle hint that they don't consider the credits to be a part of the experience you paid for. I want to listen, and I want to read the credits, too, and I don't appreciate the distractions.

...Meanwhile, on another forum, in another galaxy, far, far away, where cinema staff members congregate to talk about the things they hate the most about their customers: "oh, man, and the people who sit through the credits! It's not like you're even going to remember a single name, get out already! And they glare at us, too, as if it was us making their day miserable! Don't they realise that we've got five minutes between movies to clean the whole theatre, and the only way we can get it done is if we start during the credits?" :)

Back