Back

Bossman talking about the Gwenhyvar.
Johann Mission.
Infamous 'Save the Ralari' Mission.

I wasn't going to plug them until I had finished WC1, WC2, maybe Privateer and WCP too, but I guess this is a good time to use them for their intended purpose (quoting dialogue, etc). I finished the WC1 dialogue today, anyway.

That Johann mission is funny because you can get a Bronze Star for killing no ships (I think). You don't get the medal if you only kill the Terran ships.

As for turrets, WC2's were most useful/lethal. Jalkehis and Grikaths were especially annoying, but your own turrets' rapid fire were extremely useful as well, especially against Kamekhs and Dorkathis.

[BTW, good to see you again, Saturnyne.]

Thanks, Wedge.

Yeah, it annoys me that the turrets aren't too powerful in say, WCP. but you see, it helps because their shooting will cause any chasers to break off, which limits the shots they fire at you. Because well, every Bug weapon it seems has the range of lasers.

The downside of course, is that the AI sucks donkey balls loudly. As such, any ship chasing you will make you take your eyes off your torp that's TRYING to lock, to turn around and fire lasers at that damnable Manta that's plugging your ass full of laser. Better turret AI would be heaven for the Paint The Target mission. Heh...

Heh the best way to win the paint the target mission is to eliminate the fighters first and then fire the disk. Relying on turrets for protection in WCP's a waste of time. You're better off dropping mines or firing FFs.

Originally posted by Penguin
...the best way to win the Paint the Target mission is to eliminate the fighters first and then fire the disk.
Indeed. Interestingly, there's no time limit on that mission, so I take out the fighters (of which there are few, presumably due to the large number of capships (this is taking into consideration computer limitations)) and then the capships (except the transport, of course) the traditional way. The only downside to this is that wingmen tend to die (don't they always?). :(

Originally posted by junior
Maybe you should include the losing text on that Ralari mission.
It's been suggested that I put in the losing dialogue as well, but I'm too lazy. :) And it took up far too much of my time already. Maybe after I've done the other games? I hate losing (and the consequences of losing) anyway, especially in the Secret Missions, Halcyon really bites in those campaigns...

Originally posted by Wedge009
Indeed. Interestingly, there's no time limit on that mission, so I take out the fighters (of which there are few, presumably due to the large number of capships (this is taking into consideration computer limitations)) and then the capships (except the transport, of course) the traditional way. The only downside to this is that wingmen tend to die (don't they always?). :(
Hmm... I find it a lot more satisfying to do it the way it should be - ignore everything else and go for that transport, killing only as many fighters as necessary. Of course, that usually means replaying the mission two or three times :p.

Being in a Devastator for that mission really sucked, she's too slow. And having those incompetent wingmen doesn't really help.

It isn´t a dificult mission, just put all the energy in the shields and the engine, full speed and play with you rear and fore shelds

Paint the target is one annoying mission. Its not particularly difficult, by my gripe is the fact that they want to use the Fleet Plasma cannon on this trifling force. I mean there's a transport, a destroyer, cruiser and maybe something else. I've actually managed to take out all of them without using the disk. Well Wedge has pointed out computer limitations, but that's not really it. The bug capships are so non-formidable that I didn't feel any particular urgency to justify the use of the Fleet Plasma cannon, particularly considering the problems its use entailed. On the other hand if the bug capships were like WC2 Fralthras, with near impenetrable shields, those bloody AMGs :mad: and we pilots were relying on those crap torps that lose lock at the slightest jiggle, then I'd understand the need for the Fleet Plasma. But against this squadron of bug capships? Its overkill just like the fleets from the losing threads of WC3 and WC4 were.

I just need to ask a quick question, since this is a hot topic right now, is there no sound with the divx episodes of the Wing Commander Show?

Nafé

Originally posted by Naféasonto
I just need to ask a quick question, since this is a hot topic right now, is there no sound with the divx episodes of the Wing Commander Show?

Nafé

You need to have the DivX Codex, version 3.1 installed. DivX isn't very backwards compatible, so the newer ones won't decode it properly.

Originally posted by Ghost
It isn´t a dificult mission, just put all the energy in the shields and the engine, full speed and play with you rear and fore shelds

Not really difficult but as Penguin pointed out, annoying (though I am sure I died a couple of times).

And Penguin: I absolutely felt the same way. Computer limitations is very plausable, still then at least in the cutscene they could have implemented more capships to make it more impressive. They could have said that those other capships were a bit farther away... . That's really my main problem (if oyu can call it a problem) with WCP and SOPS: They try so hard to create a atmosphere full of fear and overwhelming odds but fail miserably because you defeat the bugs so easily!

Yes, I totally agree, Mekt. They could improve the enemy´s "AI" too, and make trickier missions. What bores me in WCP is that, in most missions, you can forget the briefing and just blast everything in sight (which usually ain´t tough), you´ll win it anyway.

I'll let the Prophecy team speak for themselves!

fjr: I wish we could put our AIs up against each other.
jh: We can, but I'd have to keep yours from cheating.
fjr: Without cheating, mine would just sit and spin.

Your AI only has to be good enough to kick Frank's ass. asommers

My AI kicked enough ass for 1.5 million people! froan

Paint the target is one annoying mission. Its not particularly difficult, by my gripe is the fact that they want to use the Fleet Plasma cannon on this trifling force. I mean there's a transport, a destroyer, cruiser and maybe something else. I've actually managed to take out all of them without using the disk. Well Wedge has pointed out computer limitations, but that's not really it. The bug capships are so non-formidable that I didn't feel any particular urgency to justify the use of the Fleet Plasma cannon, particularly considering the problems its use entailed. On the other hand if the bug capships were like WC2 Fralthras, with near impenetrable shields, those bloody AMGs :mad: and we pilots were relying on those crap torps that lose lock at the slightest jiggle, then I'd understand the need for the Fleet Plasma. But against this squadron of bug capships? Its overkill just like the fleets from the losing threads of WC3 and WC4 were.

This mission was an experiment to see if the gun worked. It would make sense to try it out on something you know you can definitely handle. This is just in case the thing doesn't work, and then you WOULD have to take them all by hand. That's how I looked at it.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Being in a Devastator for that mission really sucked, she's too slow. And having those incompetent wingmen doesn't really help.
Yes, it doesn't make sense to use a bomber for a mission which only requires a missile to be fired. Maybe it needed a torpedo hardpoint and they didn't have time to modify a fighter like the strike variants of the Vampire in SO?

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
Is it just me, or is that mission easier in SWC than in Amiga WC1?
Possibly, but I wouldn't know.

On Amiga, I was just a lt colonel in Goddard. In SWC I was a colonel.
AFAIK, rank has no bearing on how difficult the current mission might be. ;)

Paint the target is one annoying mission. Its not particularly difficult, but my gripe is the fact that they want to use the Fleet Plasma cannon on this trifling force. I mean there's a transport, a destroyer, cruiser and maybe something else.
A carrier. (What's a transport doing at the centre of a fleet formation?!)

The bug capships are so non-formidable that I didn't feel any particular urgency to justify the use of the Fleet Plasma cannon, particularly considering the problems its use entailed.
At the time, the Midway didn't know that the plasma weapon would fail after the first use. Also, where else in the games do you see that many ships concentrated in one area?

Is it just me, or is that mission easier in SWC than in Amiga WC1?
On Amiga, I was just a lt. Colonel in Goddard. In SWC I was a colonel.

I don't believe they did an SM1 for the Amiga.

Meson: If you're testing experimental weaponry, it would probably help not to test it on the enemy. If it works all well and good. But as you're pointing out, if it doesn't work then you've just told the enemy we've got a big gun that doesn't work. Also for an experiment they sure allowed those capships to get close to the Midway, and in a situation where the Midway's all we got, that's intolerable.

Wedge009: The bugs may have had a solid concentration of capships but by this time the player has ceased to fear overwhelming odds. Those capships really aren't hard to get rid of and its got nothing to do with computer capacity or AI limitations. They're designed poorly. The engines are big bull's eyes and seeing as how we have to kill engines to kill capships - well it just means the player has to take advantage of that. Plus the bug turrets aren't particularly fearsome, meaning that the bridge is vulnerable.

To be honest if that fleet had been composed of 5 Kilrathi corvettes I'd be running scared :eek: :(

Back