Back

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
... well... even if no one noticed I was away.

Yep, I'm still alive and kickin'. at least in real life.

I'm playing through Secret Missions, and am stuck on the mission where you and Spirit have to go out and retrieve the Johann. (In the game guide, it's Jotunheim 3)

just looking for basic survival tips... as always. I was always looking for survival tips against 'Vettes in WC3 (which I mastered), so 21 ships and a cap ship is going to be hell. especially when so many of them are Jalthi.

Anyway, hi to you all. Hope you've all been well.
 

Jochen

Rear Admiral
Originally posted by Saturnyne
... well... even if no one noticed I was away.

Yep, I'm still alive and kickin'. at least in real life.

I'm playing through Secret Missions, and am stuck on the mission where you and Spirit have to go out and retrieve the Johann. (In the game guide, it's Jotunheim 3)

just looking for basic survival tips... as always. I was always looking for survival tips against 'Vettes in WC3 (which I mastered), so 21 ships and a cap ship is going to be hell. especially when so many of them are Jalthi.

Anyway, hi to you all. Hope you've all been well.
Hi... welcome back... hm, I think nobody is "more unworthy" than me to welcome you back since I'm not around here very often :D

I don't remember how I solved that mission (if I ever did without cheating), but I remember it to be very hard :(

Good luck... you will need it :D
 

junior

Spaceman
Heh.
I remember how I got past this mission.
I ejected.
Unfortunately, I don't remember if Spirit survived it or not.
 

Penguin

Spaceman
Its always good to see old faces. Anyhow if I were you I'd make very judicious use of the afterburners. And we know Spirit survives since she's in WC2.
 

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
Exactly, Penguin. The key to that mission is the afterburners. Use them to burn past your opponent and get behind them. After all, the least dangerous side of a fighter is the back.

Here's what I did.

1) Headed out towards Nav 1. Got attacked by Gratha. Finished them off.

2) Set Nav for the Exeter and gunned down all the Rapiers. To do this, make sure your guns are charged, turn towards a Rapier and fire like hell on it, but turn ASAP. It's guns hurt too. Then, get behind it and tail it until it's dead.

3) Set Nav to Nav 1, but didn't auto there. Instead got to about the midway point between the navs and then went back to the 'Claw.

Kind of cheating... but yet legal. But I learned one survival tip... I'm shocked I haven't learned it before.

Never approach ANYTHING head on... Jalthi, Salthi, Krant or your mother. Your shields will be gone in two blasts of absolutely any shot fired at you will down your shields and your armor is next. Best to afterburn towards your target as if you're going around them, then get behind them and plug their anuses with large amounts of laser and missile. Yeah, baby.

(Edited to include survival tip)
 

Penguin

Spaceman
Originally posted by Saturnyne
After all, the least dangerous side of a fighter is the back.
Especially since they don't have rear turrets, unlike in later WCs...

Anyways are you sure you're stuck? It looks like you've got things well under control.
 

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I passed it earlier today. Just thought I'd share those tips with everyone though. especially if you don't want to take down so many fighters.
 
Originally posted by Saturnyne

Never approach ANYTHING head on... Jalthi, Salthi, Krant or your mother.

I often approach head-on, but barrel-rolling. I rarely take shots-- The key is to be able to rapidly fire. Choose one(1) gun that shoots quickly(in WC1, lasers and Mass driver-- I prefer the mass driver), hold on to the trigger and charge the other ship-- I've destroyed many a Jalthi that way. It'll even work in a scimitar-- only in the Scim', charge for only half as long as you would, banking away sooner to let your guns recharge.
 

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I noticed... I took down four Jalthi in a matter of seconds in just a "penalty ship" (AKA Scimitar). It was sweet.
 

$tormin

Vice Admiral
Originally posted by Penguin

Especially since they don't have rear turrets, unlike in later WCs...

in WC2 i had a bit of trouble with the rear turrets but not much. in wc4, the rear turrets were practically useless except for the tractor beam (just like in privateer)
 

Penguin

Spaceman
WC4 turrets were much better than WCP's turrets. The mass drivers on the Thuds, 'Bows and Avengers were pretty effective. Even the Vindicator's laser turret was better than nothing, particularly since it kept a constant stream of laser fire in your face. But yeah, WC2's turrets definitely packed the most punch.
 

Naféasonto

Swabbie
Banned
The turrets in the early Wing Commander were so powerful was because the fighter ships were much weaker, and could be easily penetrated by standard lasers. Make a Raptor go against the midway then you tell me wing commander 1 lasers are better lol.

Nafé
 

Naféasonto

Swabbie
Banned
Originally posted by Saturnyne
Exactly, Penguin. The key to that mission is the afterburners. Use them to burn past your opponent and get behind them. After all, the least dangerous side of a fighter is the back.

Here's what I did.

1) Headed out towards Nav 1. Got attacked by Gratha. Finished them off.

2) Set Nav for the Exeter and gunned down all the Rapiers. To do this, make sure your guns are charged, turn towards a Rapier and fire like hell on it, but turn ASAP. It's guns hurt too. Then, get behind it and tail it until it's dead.

3) Set Nav to Nav 1, but didn't auto there. Instead got to about the midway point between the navs and then went back to the 'Claw.

Kind of cheating... but yet legal. But I learned one survival tip... I'm shocked I haven't learned it before.

Never approach ANYTHING head on... Jalthi, Salthi, Krant or your mother. Your shields will be gone in two blasts of absolutely any shot fired at you will down your shields and your armor is next. Best to afterburn towards your target as if you're going around them, then get behind them and plug their anuses with large amounts of laser and missile. Yeah, baby.

(Edited to include survival tip)

Are you talking about that one mission where the Grathas are attacking the Ralthi class cruiser captured by the Terrans? That mission had to be the only hard mission in the whole game. The really hard missions came in secret missions 2, nice challengeing missions. I think that the secret missions 2 of Wing Commander 1 were the only hard missions in any of the Wing Commander series lol, you can quote me on that also.

Nafé
 

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Originally posted by $tormin


in WC2 i had a bit of trouble with the rear turrets but not much. in wc4, the rear turrets were practically useless except for the tractor beam (just like in privateer)

I found the WC2 rear turrets of the Jalkehi and Grikath to be rather dangerous. But your turrets also were awesome!

Nafé: No, he's talking about the mission in SM1 where you get a distress call from a Exeter (the Johann) and when you arrive you realize it's a trap. The Kilrathi are using a captured Exeter and Rapier fighters, it's not aneasy mission.
I think there were in WC1, SM1 and SM2 always rather challenging missions especially when compared to the later games.
 
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt


I found the WC2 rear turrets of the Jalkehi and Grikath to be rather dangerous. But your turrets also were awesome!

Nafé: No, he's talking about the mission in SM1 where you get a distress call from a Exeter (the Johann) and when you arrive you realize it's a trap. The Kilrathi are using a captured Exeter and Rapier fighters, it's not aneasy mission.
I think there were in WC1, SM1 and SM2 always rather challenging missions especially when compared to the later games.

I believe the exeter was called the "Gwenyvhar." Could be wrong, though.
 

Wildshot

Spaceman
I found the turrets of the WCP bombers to be disconcerting at first, the way they fired on their own. Not to mention they were almost able to cover every part of the ship. I'm afterburning towards a group of estroyers and all of a sudden laser fire comes over the top of my cockpit scaring the bejeezus out of me.
 

junior

Spaceman
Originally posted by Lelapinmechant


I believe the exeter was called the "Gwenyvhar." Could be wrong, though.

That's the real name of the ship (Bossman mentions it when he tells you the story floating around, iirc), but that's not the name that it broadcasts the distress call under (gee, I wonder why...?).
 

Chernikov

Spaceman
Hmm... turrets

WC2... turreted NEUTRON GUNS? That was crazy when I first saw them, the most powerful guns in the game (at the time) and they were mounted in dual turrets... until I got my skills down the Broadswords gunners outscored me. :)

WC3/4 turrets just sucked... sure, if you could score with them they were pretty good against lighter stuff but a Vaktoth just ignored them and started chewing on you.

WCP turrets are the shite though... the bugs break off at next to no damage so you just spray/pray and your back is clear, and the refire rate is so insanely high that they do vicious damage when hitting consistently. Great against squids trying the kickstop to get in behind you, just sort of *squish* feeling...

Privateer, now there was an interesting one. lasers blew, but once you got something decent mounted on them it was easy enough to line up a trailer and loose a stream of death that would knock off a corvette, and it would all impact before he turned away.
 

Penguin

Spaceman
Originally posted by Chernikov
until I got my skills down the Broadswords gunners outscored me. :)

That's as it should be. You're job's to fly the bomber and put the torps where they belong.
 
Top