baby driver review

Jdawg

Commodore
I love this movie soooooooooooooo much. easily my favorite movie of the yr. the music drives the movie but everything flows together; from the songs, to the acting to the excellent directing. I really cant recommend it enough. Edgar Wright and Matthew Vaughn are two of my favorite directors working today. Plus it helps that the flick was filmed in my hometown of atlanta and they dont try to hide it but instead embrace all of what atlanta has to offer. The lead ansel elgort is a star in the making and cant wait to see more from him.

In a discussion I was involved with, someone pointed out the cultish praise of Edgar Wright films is a great deal like the hype-machine that fueled careers like Colin Farrell, JJ Abrams and Jessica Biel - these are names that people (Hollywood? Bots? Randoms? Reddit?) and demand be seen as genius and the next big thing... when they aren't. In fact, this hype-machine always peters out after a time (look no further than Joss Whedon, starting in 2015, who is slowly being consumed by third generation feminists like a mouse by a snake) and the result is an empty moment in culture, something we've been perpetuating since 2004 or so.

In a discussion I was involved with, someone pointed out the cultish praise of Edgar Wright films is a great deal like the hype-machine that fueled careers like Colin Farrell, JJ Abrams and Jessica Biel - these are names that people (Hollywood? Bots? Randoms? Reddit?) and demand be seen as genius and the next big thing... when they aren't. In fact, this hype-machine always peters out after a time (look no further than Joss Whedon, starting in 2015, who is slowly being consumed by third generation feminists like a mouse by a snake) and the result is an empty moment in culture, something we've been perpetuating since 2004 or so.
edgar wright is not some hype machine considering baby driver is his highest grossing opening weekend he has had ever and thats with only 21 million. In second place was scott pilgram vs the world it opened with something like 10 million. I do love shaun of the dead and hot fuzz, but didnt care for at the worlds end at all, so I dont think edgar wright is perfect, but this movie just did it for me. Loved the characters, the simple story, and most of all they used real cars on real roads, no rock or vin diesel in front of some green screen crap making fast and furious 45.

basically I dont know how he can be a hype machine when he has never even had a hit and he has been around making movies since 95, that is along time to have a hype behind him with no true hits.

Yeah, I am genuinely curious to know what you didn't like. I thought it was a pretty cool movie that works on a bunch of levels. As entertaining as any summer blockbuster, but with copious amounts of art, style and meaning mixed in there. Like giving a dog a pill in a piece of cheese. (More than anything, I think I'd compare it to the original Star Trek movies that managed to wrap up very human meditations on aging and existence in a space adventure bun.)

(As for Edgar Wright, I'm the reverse of Jdawg… I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and I see the filmmaker coming together in them… but I don't especially love them. But I thought World's End was spectacular, exactly the sort of mix between a fun movie and a thoughtful one that he perfects in Baby Driver. I did seriously dislike Scott Pilgrim, but it wasn't for lack of directorial talent… I couldn't stand the pandering source material to begin with.)

Yeah, I am genuinely curious to know what you didn't like. I thought it was a pretty cool movie that works on a bunch of levels. As entertaining as any summer blockbuster, but with copious amounts of art, style and meaning mixed in there. Like giving a dog a pill in a piece of cheese. (More than anything, I think I'd compare it to the original Star Trek movies that managed to wrap up very human meditations on aging and existence in a space adventure bun.)

(As for Edgar Wright, I'm the reverse of Jdawg… I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and I see the filmmaker coming together in them… but I don't especially love them. But I thought World's End was spectacular, exactly the sort of mix between a fun movie and a thoughtful one that he perfects in Baby Driver. I did seriously dislike Scott Pilgrim, but it wasn't for lack of directorial talent… I couldn't stand the pandering source material to begin with.)
to me hot fuzz more than shaun of the dead worked for me bc it is meta take on great action movies of the 80s and early 90s, so there is some nostalgia thrown in for that time period for sure; I grew up on heat, point break, speed, predator and such. I loved the setting of the town in that movie and the jokes work for me especially the main bad guy "Im slashing............... ALL THESE PRICES!!!" lol. I like you loved certain aspects of Scott Pilgrim but I agree other parts fall completely apart especially the ending. As far as the worlds end, I like the movie at the start when its about men growing up and not wanting to let go of past glories but when the aliens show up, I feel like this quote sums it up.

As a film whose central theme emphasizes the dangers of living in the past, Wright & co. become fatally distracted by nostalgia, eventually paying too much homage to previous classics to create a film that deserves to stand alongside them

Back