B5: Into the Fire is now officially dead...

Anyone who though that it might come out after all this time would have to be in denial.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you even read the thread Earthworm?

Probably not judging by your comment.

If you did, then you would know that the Game had a very good chance of being made, but Havas decided against releasing the code base and custom video shots made for ITF.

This simply put means that even if Sector14 Studios got the licence and there were to be a game based on Babylon 5, it would have to be designed from scratch.
Considering the revolutionary design of the original flight engine, it could take years...

So, considering my opinion of gaming companies at the moment, I might as well resign myself to the fact that along with the Wing Commander Games, there will also be no Babylon 5 Flight Sims...

No, I didn't. But I have read many posts and articles abouts this game before, and the chances for it to actually come out were smaller than a new WC game coming out sometime in the next 5 years. Belive it or not, I was very excited about this game, and seriously pissed off when it was cancelled, and for a few months I still hopped that by some miracle it might be finished but with every month that was becoming less likely.

BTW, if somehow they were going to make the game, they would have to start practicly from scratch anyway. From what I heard the engine didn't look any more impresive than current space sims, and the options that were going to make this game stand out weren't even present yet.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 04, 2000).]

And it's been out for like 5 months now...

And even Freelancer looks better, if it'll ever get finished, or Jumpgate, and that new groudn based space sim.

BTW Kris, did you get the e-mail from me I sent to news@wcnews.com?

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 07, 2000).]

First of all screenshots can never tell how good a game will look in action. Second of all, it was FAR more detailed than anything in starlancer. Starlancer had the same problem that Prophecy did, very plain looking models. Take a look at the shots of B5, the detail level is amazing. Starlancer, like FS2, both look great until you get fairly close, then you realize just how blocky everything is. Although I must agree, it doesn't quite match Freelancer, but nothing does right now if it comes out on time (which it probably won't - though I hope it does).

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Vondoom said:
First of all screenshots can never tell how good a game will look in action.
I know, that's why I compared those screens to the SL screenshots.
smile.gif
Second of all, it was FAR more detailed than anything in starlancer. Starlancer had the same problem that Prophecy did, very plain looking models. Take a look at the shots of B5, the detail level is amazing. Starlancer, like FS2, both look great until you get fairly close, then you realize just how blocky everything is.
BS. When I played SL in the 800x600 res at my friends machine none of the models looked blocky. Prophecy yes, seing how it's 3 years old, and only runs in 640x480.
Although I must agree, it doesn't quite match Freelancer, but nothing does right now if it comes out on time (which it probably won't - though I hope it does).
Freelancer doesn't look that hot anymore. With some sims like the ones I already mentioned (and Jumpgated will probably be released before FL) appearing, FL is starting to loose it's graphical edge. By the time it comes out it's graphics will be average at best.

No, big blocky capitol ships aren't plain designs at all
smile.gif

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Looking at those screenshots I get the impression B5 is the blurrier one of the two (the other being Starlancer)... I've played Starlancer, it has the sweetest graphics I've ever seen. B5 looks foggy to me.

Well, as I said, those screens are more than a year old AND were from an early alpha engine...
I've played Starlancer 'til aresolution of 1024x786, and it looks great, yes, but its verry blurred (I know that, i'm making shipmodels for it), it only uses 8 bit 256x256 textures... look at those screenshots from ItF again, and tell me, that its blurry..
wink2.gif

RubberEagle
P.s.: I don't want to offend anybody, its just my opinnion

Back