Farbourne

Rear Admiral
Just saw it last night. Awesome. Enchanting. Probably one of the most imaginative and captivating sci-fi films made in recent memory.

The acting was just average, and the storyline was a little "it's been done before" (Dances with Wolves, The Last Samurai, Dune, etc... even World of Warcraft), but Cameron's ability to make an entirely different world seem real and just around the corner makes up for all that.

Anyone else seen it yet?

I intend to, but for me to see it in 3D the way it's meant to be seen means I need to go out of town... That's not happening for a few months, so I'm torn between settling for 2D or waiting and hoping it's still playing elsewhere in a few months.

Yeah, saw it last sunday in 3D (unfortunately not IMAX 3D). Very memorable movie visually and from the whole look and feel. Its a very beautiful thing one should have seen.

But I have to agree, that the storyline was actually pretty weak and predictable. Acting quality I find hard to judge as most is done by computer generated characters (motion capture) and therefore it is a bit hard to rate 'alien' performance. I'd say average to good here. Where I disagree is that he world was entirely different. If I want to say it in a negative way it was more or less Juressic Park under Water.

Don't get me wrong, it was executed very well and the scenery managed to touch one emotionally, but in the end there wasn't anything really new in the movie. Its more a perfect executed mixture of well known stuff for me. That said - I am definitely going to buy the DVD ;-)

I do intend to see it eventually, but unfortunately AFAIK there are no 3D theaters anywhere near here, and even if the movie is better than sex ([Rosie]with yourself[/Rosie]) I'm not going to drive for an hour or two just to see it in 3D. :p

[later]
Turns out there is an Imax showing nearby, though not of the special-purpose dome-type screen Imax. I'll probably hit the matinee tomorrow, today doesn't work for me thanks to other scheduling.

Ok, having just gotten back a bit ago, I can comment in a little more detail.

First off, visually it's very pretty, in RealD 3D (or whatever they call it; not Imax like I said above). The scenes that were looking down from heights didn't help my mild acrophobia much, to put it mildly, but even then the scenery was stunning. I'm not, however, going to be seeing it in regular 2D just to compare the respective qualities (as was recommended elsewhere).

Why? Bluntly, storywise the movie was weak as hell. A lot of it gave me notion of "The Last Samurai... IN SPACE!", and I didn't care much for that movie's anviliciousness, either. The rest? Like Karl said (if in more words), "been there, done that", and personally I found much of it better the first time around, as well.

Overall, I give it 6/10, but that's with me feeling generous. That kind of score, for me, doesn't really justify the ~50% ticket price increase ($7 in 2D, $10 in 3D, both matinee pricing), and barely qualifies as "not a waste of money" at the 2D price.

The showing tomorrow I wanted to attend is already sold out (except for the first 4 rows but they're useless) so I guess it'll be next week.

And yeah, it's 10 € a ticket plus 1 € if you don't already have the 3D glasses...and tuesday is the cheapest day of the weak.

Heh. Here the glasses were free (probably part of the price premium over 2D), and although a recycling bin was provided next to the theater doors, you weren't required to return them.

(I did return them, as I doubt that I'll be making 3D movies a regular thing. Heck, seeing 2D movies at the theater is a rarity, for me... though this Thursday I'm going to try to catch Sherlock Holmes.)

...and although a recycling bin was provided next to the theater doors, you weren't required to return them.

That made me a bit angry: in this cinema chain I go to you have to buy the glasses but they also put up a recycling bin with a sign "Please give your 3d glasses back here", creating the faulty impression that you were required to give them back.

Avatar is basically The Last Samurai, but with a different white guy trying to validate a different culture. Oh and this has mechs.

It was a fun time, shit blew up and the 3D effects were great. Is it the movie to end all movies? Nah. I would say this is basically just another Abyss for Cameron, where its just something thats *good* instead of the rungs of the ladder it tries to grab and misses. Then again, I'd say the same about Titanic.

Its worth it to go to a movie that amounts to flying through 3 hours worth of Yes album covers.

But I have to agree, that the storyline was actually pretty weak and predictable.

A lot of people say this about the movie - but in our sophisticated age with writers like Joss Whedon creating careers around referencing pop culture schlock yet the entire world doesn't like Star Wars or Indiana Jones anymore, I really don't think anyone has any right to say anything is weak anymore since so much of the movie going public is full of slack-jawed know-alls who like awful things that they want to agree with instead of ever having fun ever again.

Even those of us who never thought Whedon was all that special in the first place? :p

Finally saw it yesterday and it was great fun (though the story and characters are really really forgettable). But somehow I expected to be more amazed than I was. It was a very pretty and entertaining movie but I didn't get shivers at any moment or was totally caught in the movie.

Also, when fast moving scenes appear I think the 3D gets really blurry. Still, I recommend it to every action and technology loving human.

Well. I saw it yeasterday. (3D, regular screen) and I must say that well the story wasn't creative at all but after all it wasn't so bad also. I mean really how many versions of the Three Musketeers, or Robin Hood have you seen. It wasn't gret, but not bad either.

The world though - it is really amazing. And of course 3D effects are really good to. I am going to see it Again in IMAX just to feel the big screen. (actually I had free tickets for the last one, so I'll be paying first time) . The prise tag here is 25-27 zlotys (today 2.85 zlotys rughly 1$) for 2D and 28 zlotys for 3D on weekdays, 33 on weekends so it's around 30% but Strangely IMAX tickets are the same price as regular 3D ones... only they are really hard to get (I had to book for the next sunday (17.01 )as there were NO places earlier).

Personnaly What is big here is that's the first 3D movie where 3D is not it's only reason of existence. It has some story (ok not much) and it isn't filmed to look like a roller coaster all the times

Saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D. The 3D makes my eyes a bit tired after a while, but very glad I saw it in IMAX. I have nothing negative to say about the story: it's an action movie with an appropriate action movie plot to go with it. Added as a whole together, it's three hours long and keeps you engaged so well that I never once felt like checking my watch.

That made me a bit angry: in this cinema chain I go to you have to buy the glasses but they also put up a recycling bin with a sign "Please give your 3d glasses back here", creating the faulty impression that you were required to give them back.

I think it says that because "YOU MUST RETURN GLASSES" sounds mean on a poster. They charge you extra on a 3D movie anyways, and they give you the glasses automatically, so what are you going to do with those things if you don't give them back?

I saw it on friday, and it was.... nice.
The story was... (pick one of the following)

- The last of the Mohicans (much)
- Last Samurai (much)
- Dances with Wolves (a bit)
- Pocahontas (!!!!)
---> in space. Yeah. Great.

But I enjoyed it anyway. Some nice ideas in it.
The 3D effect was well done, but a lot of scenes were just missing a bit of depth. There were just some scenes that screamed "I was done for the 3D!!!!" that were brilliant.

(...)
I think it says that because "YOU MUST RETURN GLASSES" sounds mean on a poster. They charge you extra on a 3D movie anyways, and they give you the glasses automatically, so what are you going to do with those things if you don't give them back?

In the movie theater chain I go to, you actually buy the glasses. You can keep them and then bring them to the next 3D movie without buying new ones. By putting up these containers though they try to get people to give back their glasses so they have to buy a new set next time.

I saw it in 2D and then like 2 weeks later stood in line to watch it in 3D at the local IMAX.

It IS really that much better in 3D. I went in expecting the so so 3D from Captain EO way back in the day at Disney... but this isn't anything like that. I guess 3D really has improved and so have the glasses. I tired tilting my head but that just ruined the picture.

Anyways awesome movie, well worth the expenditures.

The term is most often associated with Vishnu, though it has also come to be associated with other deities. Varying lists of avatars of Vishnu appear in Hindu scriptures, including the ten (Daśāvatāra) of the Garuda Purana and the twenty-two avatars in the Bhagavata Purana, though the latter adds that the incarnations of Vishnu are innumerable. The avatars of Vishnu are a primary component of Vaishnavism. An early reference to avatar, and to avatar doctrine, is in the Bhagavad Gita.
But ya Avtar movie is totaly different but it is very good at their own place..

Back