Autopilot coming

K

KazInExile

I am working on adding an autopilot system to freespace 2 so that we can have more wing commander-style missions.

Already Implemented:
Time compression up to 64x
Radar Range limitation
Input interface (keystrokes)

To Be Implemented:
HUD Nav Systems
Nav Map Screen

In Implementation:
Autopilot SEXPs
Navpoint storage+tracking

Okay, I hate to be the one to ask the apparently stupid question, but I'm going to ask it and spare all of us the difficulty. First, the idea of auto pilot is awesome. It was a big part of all of the WC games (Incidentally, when you use auto pilot in WC saga, will you see a panning shot of your ships in formation?) From the way you are describing it, one of the ways you are going to make trips to waypoints manageable is by adding huge time compression. That sounds great, but I think there is one potential snag in that game.

I can imagine myself engaging 64 x auto compression, and then getting shot to pieces because I was unable to gauge the right momement for reducing time compression to normal again. Maybe you have already worked this out, but is there some way you can set the time compression to return to 1 x whenever a hostile is within a certain distance (perhaps just on the edge of visual range for a bomber)?

Also, I think it would be awesome to be a part of a fleet battle taking place over the distance of several nav points. That way, you could clear an area of hostiles, and then take off for the next area where help is needed, all of the time seeing the other capital ships and explosions off in the far distance, adding a sense of urgency for getting there as soon as possible. Anyways, this last part was just daydreaming, but hopefully the first part of this post was useful.

Sphynx,
Verbum sapienti, o pluris habient, e o pluris scipient.

Maybe Kazans answere are also interesting for others..here what he has posted

Okay, I hate to be the one to ask the apparently stupid question, but I'm going to ask it and spare all of us the difficulty. First, the idea of auto pilot is awesome.

I'm glad you think so

It was a big part of all of the WC games (Incidentally, when you use auto pilot in WC saga, will you see a panning shot of your ships in formation?)

Indeed it was - not in the origional freespace 2 engine - you will see whatever view you currently have the system set to - but time compressed

From the way you are describing it, one of the ways you are going to make trips to waypoints manageable is by adding huge time compression. That sounds great, but I think there is one potential snag in that game.

I can imagine myself engaging 64 x auto compression, and then getting shot to pieces because I was unable to gauge the right momement for reducing time compression to normal again. Maybe you have already worked this out, but is there some way you can set the time compression to return to 1 x whenever a hostile is within a certain distance (perhaps just on the edge of visual range for a bomber)?

I had already anticipated this - when autopilot is engaged it automatically sets the time compression to 32x - but you can still play with it. When autopilot is disengaged (ie by approaching a way point, an enemy, etc) it autoamtically sets time comperssion to 1x

Also, I think it would be awesome to be a part of a fleet battle taking place over the distance of several nav points. That way, you could clear an area of hostiles, and then take off for the next area where help is needed, all of the time seeing the other capital ships and explosions off in the far distance, adding a sense of urgency for getting there as soon as possible. Anyways, this last part was just daydreaming, but hopefully the first part of this post was useful.

That's completely possible, the entire "area" a mission in FS2 takes place in is one entity - instead of several entities as in WC

Hey, thanks for showing mercy to the guy who somehow missed the fact that his questions have already been answered! I must be getting senile... or maybe its the fact that my baby son has still not yet mastered the skill of sleeping through the night. Whatever it is, thanks for giving me a bit of a break. You are a decent group of people. Anyway, your answers are highly satisfactory. I think the way that you have managed things will work out perfectly. Once again, let me add how impressed I am by what I know of this project to this point. I think there are a lot of us who are very eagar for this thing to be released.

Sphynx

Kazan is banned from posting here on the CIC (do not ask, and don't bring it up, the admins have their reasons).

He had to answer over on the HLP boards and Lars was kind enough to post it over here for him.

Back