Autogen Bases Randomness?

Do we want to be able to specify bases in wcu.xml on a per-system basis, or do we want them to be generated at random with a formula on autogen systems? I finally figured out how to do both.

I assume that we can have some systems fixed in wcu.xml, while the rest are autogen?

Suggestion: Use autogen for now, and we'll see what's good and bad in playtesting. This will give us a quick fix now, and allow for someone with more knowledge of WCU to fill in specific known instances later.

For single player, either is fine, and autogen allows for the later possibility of dynamic universe sizes if there are also autogen jump points.

For multiplayer, obviously only the fixed "shared" territory, and/or autogun run on a hosting server would work.

autogen means replayability. but sure, some systems must be fixed. Also that function should be used in multiplayer scenarios, cause servers will have to use fixed bases, etc.

Cyberion said:
autogen means replayability. but sure, some systems must be fixed. Also that function should be used in multiplayer scenarios, cause servers will have to use fixed bases, etc.

Multiplayer bases can also be auto generated ( when the server first creates the map ). It's up to the server to transmit it's list to the client. And the current bases layout needs to be saved on the sever ( in case it goes down ), so it can retake it's fixed form for the people who are already using the server.

my useless pointless vote is for

autogen...

...IF it's not superly overly difficult to base it on some mechanism for ensuring a balanced economy..

too few, or irregularily distributed bases with too few, or incompatible, commodities will be hard for traders to live in.. and too many bases with too many commodities will make trading on a saturated market more work than profit.

my $0.02
-Mousey
<:3 )-'

ya, but what if you are creating the particular system setup, they way you need? that's what the most of the server holders will do. Will be creating the system setup they need ;)

Eventually most if not all systems will be "set in stone", but for systems which aren't plot relevant autogen is acceptable, I would say.

Major systems (Sol and the core human systems (Alpha Centauri, probably, would be one, I think), Firekka, etc) should be scripted. Otherwise, so long as the distribution makes sense, autogen works.

Sol *must* be scripted, IMHO, and down to extreme detail. It's the one system everybody can compare against reality.

Agreed on the scripting...

Right now what I have is that the TYPE of base is random(exception: systems with asteroids will tend to have more mining bases), but the NUMBER is specified in wcu.xml. However, if a system is conquered, the bases are replaced randomly. Also, "empty" systems are prevented -- if a system only has 1 jump point, it MUST have a habitable planet or base. Exception: Delta Prime.

spiritplumber said:
Agreed on the scripting...

Right now what I have is that the TYPE of base is random(exception: systems with asteroids will tend to have more mining bases), but the NUMBER is specified in wcu.xml. However, if a system is conquered, the bases are replaced randomly. Also, "empty" systems are prevented -- if a system only has 1 jump point, it MUST have a habitable planet or base. Exception: Delta Prime.

Hmmm... I don't think I like conqering replacing bases randomly:

Future exploit if players do the conquering, similar to MOO "I'll blow up that small planet, and build a larger planet out of the asteroid belt" technique: Factions trading systems back and forth until it's a worthwhile system.

Future logic prevented, likewise: Deliberately trying to conquer a valuable system because you need/want those resources.

Future exploit allowed, likewise: Conquer a valuable enemy system even without the ability to hold it, then "give" it back - it's most likely not so valuable anymore.

Just to clarify a subtle point: Autogenerated does not necessarily mean random. It could mean any rule or algorithm that generates data. Even a pseudo-random generator will generate consistent pseudorandom numbers if starting from the same seed number.
And a generator could be made a lot smarter than pseudorandom.
I would think that the main advantage of autogen is the smaller distributable install needed, and the disadvantage can only be the imperfections of the algorithm. But I would definitely agree that many systems would have to be fixed. Not only Sol, but all the systems imported from Privateer should more or less follow the original, I'd say.

Well, the Gemini systems have all been hand-crafted. Important plot systems (Definitely Sol and Kilrah, etc.) will have to be hand-crafted. Less important things can be defined in the xml file (e.g. rostov MUST have a ton of asteroids) so nobody has to spend the time to do it all manually, AND every time you start a game, the universe is a little different (different trade routes due to different bases etc.)

Well, maybe some people would LIKE doing it manually, to build a collaborative WC universe, that's all sorts of hand-done.

Like, if there's anybody with any knowledge relating to astrosciences, and such, and how colonization would proceed, etc.

Back