Attack on Pegasus

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
Do we know if any ships survived the assault? Or at least managed to escape? The TCS Vanguard perhaps as she was on her way out of the system?

It's possible, I suppose. But Tolwyn and Belegard also specifically state that the claw is the only ship close enough. Couldn't the Vanguard have simply jumped back the way it came? Or do jump points not work that way? After all the Claw passes the Pegasus wreckage after it jumps in system. However some of the background chatter on the Concordia seems to suggest that at least one ship (the TCS Miranda I think It was, but I need to go back and check) possibly escaped but was heavily damaged. Neither the novel or the screenplay comment on ships that possibly survive. at least two bengals and three ships the same class as the concordia are docked at Pegasus in the scene so presumably they were all lost. For certain the Iowa and Kobe are destroyed per the script/movie dialogue.

The jump in question is actually a one-way trip -- the thing that's unique about Charybdis (and Pegasus' tactical position) is that it lets you jump from the Dakota System to locations all over the map... in one direction (and assuming you have NAVCOM coordinates.)

That's why the Tiger's Claw could get to Earth quickly (jump from Enyo to Dakota and then through Charybdis to Earth) but other ships could not.

It's possible, I suppose. But Tolwyn and Belegard also specifically state that the claw is the only ship close enough. Couldn't the Vanguard have simply jumped back the way it came?

A lone supercruiser with limited fighters vs. a fleet of 40? The attack on Pegasus seems to have lasted at most 10 minutes. By the time the Vanguard got back there, they'dve been a lone warrior in a battle already lost. The best thing for the Vanguard to do would have been to guard the jump point and make sure no one followed them through and wait to be reinforced by the Concordia battle group.

A lone supercruiser with limited fighters vs. a fleet of 40? The attack on Pegasus seems to have lasted at most 10 minutes. By the time the Vanguard got back there, they'dve been a lone warrior in a battle already lost.

AD wasn't suggesting the one survivor should go back and try to save Pegasus, he was just trying to answer your original question. It was mentioned the Tiger's Claw was the only ship in a position to delay the enemy fleet. If the Vanguard were still around, it could do a similar job of trying to harass and delay it in time for the Concordia to reach Earth. As LOAF mentioned, if she had already jumped Charybdis though, it'd be a long trip back (which is also why the Concordia group wouldn't be reinforcing Pegasus).

The jump in question is actually a one-way trip -- the thing that's unique about Charybdis (and Pegasus' tactical position) is that it lets you jump from the Dakota System to locations all over the map... in one direction (and assuming you have NAVCOM coordinates.)

That's why the Tiger's Claw could get to Earth quickly (jump from Enyo to Dakota and then through Charybdis to Earth) but other ships could not.

Doesn't Star*Soldier blow this theory out of the water with that one ship returning via the Charybdis?

Doesn't Star*Soldier blow this theory out of the water with that one ship returning via the Charybdis?

Are you talking about the TCS Port Broughton?

Star*Soldier Page 23 said:
When the Sirius wormhole was destroyed in the middle of her seventh raid she was reported overdue and presumed lost — only to emerge from Charybdis eighteen months later.

It returns to Confed space from Nephilim "fluid" space or their section of the Milky Way 10k ly away wherever the Sirius wormhole emerged.

I think that's another of those 'yet to be told' stories. :) The Confed Handbook has a chart of the Charybdis 'exit points'... and it definately doesn't include Nephilim space.

I The Confed Handbook has a chart of the Charybdis 'exit points'... and it definately doesn't include Nephilim space.

As far as we know...cue Twilight Zone theme.
Actually i'm a bit illiterate on the WC Universe tech and stuff, so if someone could give me the skinny on the Charybdis Jump, i'd be happy. And where can I find this Star*Soldier and Confed Handbook

As far as we know...cue Twilight Zone theme.
Actually i'm a bit illiterate on the WC Universe tech and stuff, so if someone could give me the skinny on the Charybdis Jump, i'd be happy. And where can I find this Star*Soldier and Confed Handbook

The Star*Soldier PDF file (it's the manual for Wing Commander: Arena on XBL):
https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/8016

The Confederation Handbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Wing-Commande...=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200531953&sr=8-7

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Star*Soldier, is a there a final revision PDF online somewhere, as the one on the CIC is listed as draft 2c? The Microsoft XBLA Arena site has a link to an 8MB (rather than 7.7MB) version with the filename, WingCommanderManual.pdf but it no longer seems to be accessible.

Back