Astronomical trouble brewing...

dan_w

Spaceman
I was just cruising around, went into a system called TCSC3102. I don't know whether it is scripted or randomly generated. Either way, I found anomalies to report:
  • Planets cannot exist in such close proximity. They could not form that way, and if they did they'd soon clash and merge into one planet.
  • Gas giants are usually 10 to 100 times the diameter of rocky planets.

Screenshot0.png

• Only gas giants are known to feature rings. Here the rocky planet has double set of rings, whereas the gas giant has none.

Screenshot1.png

• Dual sets of rings at an angle are impossible. They would mutually anihilate.

Screenshot2.png

• Rings are made of many single strands. Continuous wide rings could not exist. And the 2 rings cross in a strange way, by the way; looks like z-buffer blues...

Spirit, I know this is just a game, but if no more effort is involved one way or the other, it would be nice if it hints at reality. Gas giants are a lot bigger than rocky planets. But if they were twice the diameter, at least, it would be more acceptable. And only gas giants should have rings, and only one set. And planets shouldn't be so close.

By the way, I noticed a Confed Destroyer in my target list so I flew to take a look at it, but it had no embodiment. Also, the Confed Naval Base in McCall has no body. And the Arrow ships have bodies but no target display image.

I know :) Hey, everything is STILL HEAVILY BEING WORKED ON. If you want to help with the planet autogen, be my guest! I'm doing ships and starbases for now.

/universe/wcuniverse.xml

also some entries in vegastrike.config in section name="galaxy"

Feel free to modify everything you want in there, I'm locking out my changes until yours are done. If you have YM or IRC, let's talk.

spiritplumber said:
/universe/wcuniverse.xml
Ok, I also found a python file: generate_dyn_universe.py, which looks like it relates
to it.

also some entries in vegastrike.config in section name="galaxy"
Ok.

Feel free to modify everything you want in there, I'm locking out my changes until yours are done. If you have YM or IRC, let's talk.
Not sure what YM is. I have a "lICQ" and an IRC client that came with my Linux installation, but I never used them. Ok, I used ICQ years ago in Windows.

EDIT:
I just created an ICQ account: 278856747

Okay, in vegastrike.config, under name="universe", where it says,

<var name="GasRelativeToPrimary" value=".4"/>

We could change that to,
<var name="GasRelativeToPrimary" value="1.0"/>

...if my theory is correct that this relates to relative radius sizes; IOW, might
as well make gas giants same size as the star, since no one will go from one
to the other checking distance to them and comparing angular size.
Any way I can re-generate the universe without restarting the game, so as
to test it?

Okay, I fired up IRC, logged into SlashNet for lack of a better idea, and it
asks me for a channel to join. Where are 'ya?

Thanks. I had gaim already installed. Just didn't know what it was... ;-)
Okay, so I fired it up, but it has no apparent way of setting up an account.
I chose screen name and password, but when I try to login it tells me
that authentication has failed.
Uh, never mind, I went to yahoo.com and found where to sign up. I'll do
that.

Fedora Core 2. I couldn't figure out gaim, but I downloaded yahoo messenger for redhat 9, with fingers and toes crossed, and so far it seems to work, but I havent tried the chat yet.

EDIT:
Done, had a chat with Spirit, and I'm working on gas giants, for now.
Thanks spirit and forlarren.

Back