Arrival

Chernikov

Spaceman
As you may have noticed, I havent put up my new member post yet. Big apologies for the breach of etiquette. Here's me:

Gun of preference: PTC (just out of principle)
Missile of Preference: ummm.. they all bite. Dumbfires i guess, you can do some neat stuff with them
smile.gif

Ship of Preference: Korlarh
Canon ship of Preference: Vampire
Games Played: WC3, WCP, WCSO

Questions: How do Phase Shields work (and how do torps get through them) why did they disappear between WC2 and WC5, and opinions on LEAST favorite ship to fly (I dislike the Hellcat because it has a weak gunset, fewer missiles than the Arrow, and doesnt have the speed/shield/turn to use them anyway)

------------------
Today might be the last day of the rest of your life. Live it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phase Shields work just like regular science fiction shields.. And really.. "New Member Posts" are not etiquette.. we'd have a lot of extra clutter if everybody did them.

Gun of preference: PTC (just out of principle)

PTC? I can't imagine someone liking a gun that can blow up if fired.

Missile of Preference: ummm.. they all bite. Dumbfires i guess, you can do some neat stuff with them
smile.gif

Ship of Preference: Korlarh
Canon ship of Preference: Vampire
Games Played: WC3, WCP, WCSO

Canon ship of Preference?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

PTCs blow up when fired? ouch.
Canon ships refer to ships that appear in canon references (ask the admin for a good definition). The best example I can give would be the storyline WC games and the Star Wars movies would both be canon, but one-off WC games (The Darkening, Armada, where there are plenty of ships that don't appear anywhere else) and non-Lucas books would be non canon. Im not sure how canon Armada and Academy are

Armada and Academy are most definitely canon. Even Darkening is considered a part of the WC canon.
Ah, the power of marketing.

By the way, the PTC doesn't blow up every time it's fired. In fact, it probably only happens rarely. Unfortunately, when it does blow up, it really blows up
smile.gif

There's also a conspiracy to cover up how and when that happened.
biggrin.gif

People like the Cap Ship Plasma and you can only use it once on Confed ships.
smile.gif
When you use that thing again it will likey blow up you and nearly everything nearby.
eek.gif

People like the Cap Ship Plasma and you can only use it once on Confed ships.
smile.gif
When you use that thing again it will likey blow up you and nearly everything nearby.

But the Midway just got the Plasma cannon, and had to instal it quickly. You realy wouldn't expect it to work without any problems would you?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Canon ships refer to ships that appear in canon references (ask the admin for a good definition). The best example I can give would be the storyline WC games and the Star Wars movies would both be canon, but one-off WC games (The Darkening, Armada, where there are plenty of ships that don't appear anywhere else) and non-Lucas books would be non canon. Im not sure how canon Armada and Academy are

Ah, that's what I thought you meant. I know what cannon means, however unlike the thousands of Star Wars products, Armada, Academy, Privateer, and Privateer 2: The Darkening ARE *WC games* and are canon, just like all of the WC novels.

Armada and Academy are most definitely canon. Even Darkening is considered a part of the WC canon.
Ah, the power of marketing.

Now what's that suposed to mean Quarto?
tongue.gif
Yes, there are only few things in P2 that connect it to the WCU, but since it's set like 100 years after Prophecy what would you expect. And it sure feels like a WC game (except from the poor AI, which isn't actualy any worse than AI in Priv)
smile.gif

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 25, 2000).]

Earthworm: I know I'll get shouted down if I express my true opinion regarding The Darkening's position in the WCU
smile.gif
. But... I just don't see it. I'm really sorry, but I just don't see any connection apart from the title, which attempts to cash in on P1.

Now, you will notice that I tried to be as diplomatic as possible. I'm sure you'd like to yell at me for a half-hour or so because of what I said, but try to control yourself
smile.gif
. Feel free to try to persuade me though. I'm fairly open minded.

Hi, I'm new here too. I've played WC's 1-Prophecy. I'm quite partial to some of the older ships, particularly the Sabre.

Are you referring to a weapon other than the Particle Cannon when you say PTC? I was just curious 'cause particle cannons were still in use in 2669.

------------------
"In fighters, one must seek to become a well-oiled machine.....because in the end, the ultimate goal.....is to flame the enemy and screw his old lady." -Anonymous Top Gun instructor

Welcome, FireHawk.

We are referring to the Phase Transit Cannon, which was used by Confederation class Dreadnoughts (the TCS Concordia).

Oh, and the Sabre is nice, but the Broadsword and the Ferret are much better
smile.gif

Hmm. Seems to be a lot of new members lately. Almost odd.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Quarto said:
Earthworm: I know I'll get shouted down if I express my true opinion regarding The Darkening's position in the WCU
smile.gif
. But... I just don't see it. I'm really sorry, but I just don't see any connection apart from the title, which attempts to cash in on P1.

Well, there's the Talon, there are lots of mentions of ships being allowed to fly in the Confed space, in the both, there are some smaller things too. Why would naming the game P2 be an attempt to cash on it? It was said from the begining that it's not a sequal, and it's technicly a Privateer game. You sell, you trade, you fight, and it has a great story (which is what we came to expect from WC games). What else would they call it if not Privateer 2? It's position in the WCU is 100 years in the future, in an isolated part of the WCU that is not a part of the Confederation, but as we see in the both, they do trade with Confed. Anyhow, I like P2 more than Priv.
smile.gif

Was that diplomatic enough? No yelling this time.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 26, 2000).]

Could it be that Pilgrims colonized the Tri-system?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Yes, that was nice and diplomatic. Maybe this P2 discussion can actually remain on a mature level
smile.gif
The Talon, as has been explained, was a mere easter egg. And if they were involved with the Confederation, wouldn't they have found records for it? I doubt that such records are wiped after a mere 100 years, given our present knowledge of 19th century military... er... stuff.

The game, if I recall correctly, was originally just supposed to be The Darkening. Why do I think the P2 part was a marketing trick? You are a Priv fan. You absolutely loved the game. You walk into a store, and you see the sign "Privateer 2". What happens? Buy, buy, buy.

The trade with Confed... well, I guess I know nothing about that, since I haven't gotten around to looking for slow-down utils that would let me play P2. Care to elaborate, then?

There are some other indicators of not belonging. Take a look at the stats for the Straith. 288kps? 45dps? Wow, a hundred-year old Hornet can outfly this thing in every way
smile.gif
. It can outfly the Drakkar (best light fighter) too. Pretty darned impressive
smile.gif
. Now, I'm sure this could be excused by saying that the Tri-System just isn't as advanced as Confed. But if that was the case, then how is it that any Tri-Sys ship can travel to another system without using a jump point - and it doesn't take it five years or so? Confed can't do that, and that's most definitely an aspect of engine tech - so if Confed's more advanced, then...

Anyway, I don't want to flood you with all my arguments at once, so go ahead and just respond to those for now
smile.gif

I agree with the idea that P2
biggrin.gif
is just a marketing ploy. However, for the sake of debate, my theories on how it could be connected.
1: It's all civvie. However, that doesnt explain why the CIS ships suck so badly too.
2: The "skip drive" (point to point) takes up enough mass and energy that there isnt much left for anything else
3: The area WAS colonized by pilgrims, who have been sitting in their backalley system for so long they forgot to get new and better tech, and have just regained contact with the Confed. Their only advance was in the area of moving from one place to another with a high rate of speed.
4: The Neph and Confed nuked each other most of the way back to the stone age (Love those Mace missiles
biggrin.gif
.) What you see is part of what remains. Skip drive is an alien toy we learned how to use.

Skip drive... oh, darn it. Is that how things work in P2? That's what I get for talking about a game I haven't played yet
smile.gif

Oh, did I forget to mention that the humans in P2 are supposed to be a totally different civilisation? Thus they can't possibly be Pilgrims, though if they are in the WCU, there would be no reason why the Pilgrims couldn't have appeared later on.

If we want to compare civvie to civvie though, the Tarsus is still faster than the Straith. I don't remember its dps, but it's quite possible that it's more maneouvrable too.

Quarto said:
Skip drive... oh, darn it. Is that how things work in P2? That's what I get for talking about a game I haven't played yet
smile.gif

Yeah, instead of using auto pilot, your ship jumps from nav point to nav point. It could actualy be from the Pilgrims, because the Pilgrims used Hopper drives to open wormholes and jump through them. The skip drive could be an evolutionary step of that.

The Tri-system people could be from Earth. IIRC, those Pilgrims disapeard in 23XX, so P2 would be about 400 years after that. I don't see a rison for the Pilgrims to start saying the new generations about them coming from Earth. They just made up some stupid stories and feed them to the young ones. And like Chernikov said, they could have just goten in contact with Confed few years ago, so that would explain their technology is behind in many ways. Though it's also more advanced in many areas. There's a nuke in P2 that destroys everything around your fighter, and doesen't destroy you because you're moved one minute in time.
smile.gif
Though they could have just gotten that from Confed too.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Back