Armed Forces

What branch of the military were you in?

• Army

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Navy

• Marines

• Air Force

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Cadet Forces

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Coast Guard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sgt_thomson

Spaceman
Sorry if this topic has been brought up to man times before but I was wondering how many Wing Commander fans have served in the military and if they did what branch? Also do you have any intersting stories or amusing anedotes about the military?

Maybe a lot of people just haven't joined the armed forces recently who happen to be on the CIC forums.

BTW: My mum is scottish.

Trained by Marines during college, then joined the Navy.

Happy Camper said:
Maybe a lot of people just haven't joined the armed forces recently who happen to be on the CIC forums.

Cause most don't join. There are few who post "Goodbye guys, I'm off to join the Army tomorrow" then they come back and say "I got medically disqualified at MEPS. Woe is me :(" or some other stupid excuse.

How is being medically disqualified a stupid excuse? Sounds more like a pretty good reason. He's got more important things to worry about now anyway.

McGruff said:
How is being medically disqualified a stupid excuse? Sounds more like a pretty good reason. He's got more important things to worry about now anyway.

Because going to MEPS for a boring physical and getting yelled at by useless rent-a-cops outside the MEPS building doesn't mean "joining the Army", and people get all overzealous about it and jump to conclusion. You don't join till you get all your ducks in a row, get physical qualified, then ship out to boot camp, OCS, etc etc.

(note: I have as much respect for the "cadet" military corps as I do for hippie scumbags).

20 years United States Marine Corps.

Don't be so hard on the Cadets, psych, didn't you ever see "Taps" or "The Lords of Dicipline"? :D

The cadets are great I mean they let me fly a small aircraft and glider at 14 years old. How many other chances do you get to do that anywhere else when you are that young.

Sgt_thomson said:
The cadets are great I mean they let me fly a small aircraft and glider at 14 years old. How many other chances do you get to do that anyehere else at that age.

I was going to say something mean, but i promised Quarto to be nice to people.

Specifying which coast guard to which you were referring might have been helpful, instead of making me guess...

I didn't think I would have to tell you which one, but I wasn't the one who changed the poll that I put there. Still it is interesting to know that the US coast guard is military.

You have to consider that the Coast Guard services historically were set up to literally guard the coast - their primary task was to hunt down pirates and smugglers. This was definitely a military task - back then, pretty much every sea-going vessel (...bigger than a fishing boat, that is) was potentially armed. So, even in countries where the Coast Guard is not considered a branch of the military, it still usually has military-like traditions. I don't know what the situation is today, but I would assume that most Coast Guard services would still have some sort of basic armament on their ships (and it goes without saying that the personnel themselves would have guns as well).

Dyret said:
I was going to say something mean, but i promised Quarto to be nice to people.
I don't think you get it. I didn't ask you to be nice, I asked you to stop being a jerk. "I would say something nasty, but I promised I won't" is still being a jerk, and it's the exact kind of attitude I'm tired of from you. When you first came here, you mostly posted stupid things. But two or three months ago, you went from merely posting stupid things to posting stupid things and harassing others about posting stupid things. You also happen to be one of the people that, on average once a month, have to be told off for pretending to be moderators, telling others that they're breaking the rules and all that. As a moderator, I tend to be fairly tolerant, but in your case, I've had just about enough.

Some of the long-time veterans here get away with insulting others sometimes, because they've demonstrated time and time again that they themselves are not idiots. They've demonstrated that their opinions are worth listening to. You haven't demonstrated that you are not an idiot. In fact, you've been very keen to show the exact opposite. This will stop, now - think before you post, and if you haven't got anything useful to say, don't say anything.

I am almost a 100% sure that coast guard ships in Britain are not armed. There aren't even alot of boats. They rely on getting boats and funding from charity. The personnel definately would have anything more than a flare gun. Not even most Brittish cops are armed. Only the Brittish equivelant of SWAT teams are armed. The rest only have batons and CS spray.

Quarto said:
I don't think you get it. I didn't ask you to be nice, I asked you to stop being a jerk. "I would say something nasty, but I promised I won't" is still being a jerk, and it's the exact kind of attitude I'm tired of from you. When you first came here, you mostly posted stupid things. But two or three months ago, you went from merely posting stupid things to posting stupid things and harassing others about posting stupid things. You also happen to be one of the people that, on average once a month, have to be told off for pretending to be moderators, telling others that they're breaking the rules and all that. As a moderator, I tend to be fairly tolerant, but in your case, I've had just about enough.

Some of the long-time veterans here get away with insulting others sometimes, because they've demonstrated time and time again that they themselves are not idiots. They've demonstrated that their opinions are worth listening to. You haven't demonstrated that you are not an idiot. In fact, you've been very keen to show the exact opposite. This will stop, now - think before you post, and if you haven't got anything useful to say, don't say anything.

I see... I'll try to improve my attitude, then. I guess i was not aware how stupid i acted. Thanks for warning me *before* banning me.

BTW, i didnt know the coast guard was part of the military either. I thought they were seaborne police. Thanks for the link, Death.

Back