Armada Proving Grounds game Aug 2 at 7pm EDT (GMT -4hr)

wcnut

Rear Admiral
CHANGE IN PLANS. 9PM INSTEAD!!!

[fixed time in subject line - Death]

Hi, I would like to set up a game for tomorrow (Sunday) if anyone is interested. I won't post my IP here, as that would probably be asking for trouble. Rather, I'll post it at the #wingnut irc channel at the time.

I will be using a standard build of Dosbox .72, and it would probably be best that those who wish to join use the same. If you need help in setting it up, you can follow these directions.

Directions

1.Download dosbox .72 (Best to use a frontend like Defender as it makes configuration A LOT easier.)

2. Install Armada in a folder (preferably in a folder in your dosbox folder though It doesn't matter)

3. Download HCl's patched versions of the game (armadadb.exe and pgdb.exe) and place them in your Armada folder.

http://download.wcnews.com/files/arma/armada_floppy_dosbox_joystick_ipx.zip

4. Download netbios_binary.zip from the first post on this thread, and place NETBIOS.exe and dll files directly in your dosbox folder. (DO NOT copy dosbox.exe from this folder as it is older and unneeded.)

5. If you want to host, you need to configure your router to forward port 213. It differs from router to router so If you don't know how to do it, I'd check your user's manual.

6. In your dosbox.conf file, set: core=dynamic, cycles=auto, timed=false, ipx=true, and anything else you might desire.

7. On the very bottom of the dosbox.conf file, (after [autoexe]) or in dosbox itself type...
mount c [Armada folder dir]
mount b [Dosbox folder dir]
ipxnet startserver 213 (your forwarded port) OR ipxnet connect [IP adress] (Depending if you are client or host, and the host must be up first as it must connect!)
b:
NetBios.exe
c:
armadadb.exe OR pgdb.exe (In this case, use pgdb.exe as that is what we will be playing)
exit (I like to put this in .conf files, you don't have too.)

That's it, start dosbox!

If you have any any difficulties post here. If your new to dosbox, again, I strongly recommend a frontend.

I'll make sure to get what I need to get done before that tomorrow. You can count me in.

Thanks Death for the fix in time change. I'd have done it myself, but this forum seems to have some problems with editing posts with normal users.

See you there Dundradal!

4am gmt ouch, you know i'd actually have an early night for this. used to love split screen play with my cousin, but never knew how to setup networking in native ms dos (still not sure now but think i could do it), so never played full screen vs people. If i can prise myself out of bed at that time i'll see you in #wingnut

No, that's actually 1 AM GMT, (9+4) I don't know how well armada would handle across continents, but we can try it. Dosbox and Netbios should be all right, but armada doesn't like lots of latency, so I'm told.

I think I've played Proving Grounds with Kris and Hades when the very first methods for doing so online via dosbox were worked out. It wasn't too bad, and things are better now. I'll be on an airplane tonight though.

Well have a nice flight! :) Or at least as best you can given how horrible airlines are turning into. :\ I guess it helps to have an inward sense of humor toward the whole thing.

Ahhh, -4hrs cool, bit of a misunderstanding sorry. That would be easier and as i have a hospital appointment late in the morning i dont need to get up for work!

I've played other games across the atlantic a few times. Several years ago latency was around 250-300ms on fps games like counter-strike. I played a couple of years ago and it was down to 150ms which is basically better then a 56k modem latency but with shed loads better bandwidth so hopfully i'll be ok. My ISP has fantastically low latencies on its network too so I hope things should run nice and smooth.

yup thats it, thanks grim. It must have been a copy paste error. unfortunately I cant edit the original post

Ok, Dundradal, Grim, and I had an O.k. game. Or at least, Grim and I had a perfect laggless game across continents. Dundradal unfortunately seemed to be having problems connecting though he is in a neighboring state. :( We have yet to determine if proving grounds can handle more than 2 people with this set up. We also believe that setting Dosbox to cycles=auto and core=dynamic is mandatory for a good sinc, so be sure you do so in your games. If we could have more people next week join we can fiddle around with it some more. which brings me too...

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!

Next Sunday (8/2/08) we are gathering again to play some more, this time at around 7p.m. EDT. This way people should have a full week to prepare.

If, however, circumstances arise where I wont to be able to make it, there will be other people there to play as well. So, hopefully, it wont be a big loss. But I intend fully to be there, though its hard to predict a week in advance.

If a mod can edit the date and time on the first post, that would be great. As well as the bad link to Netbios with Grim's link above, which reminds me. We have determined Netbios isn't necessary for Proving Grounds to be played over internet, just Armada.

Cya there!

Yes we did have a good time. I have a feeling the game should be able to handle more players, but a few more people are needed next week, so if you're a little trigger happy for some Armada action then 7pm EST on 8/2 in #wingnut is where it all begins again.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any screen grabs to post last night because wcnut and I were having, err, issues with a pesky Shok'lar in the confed gauntlet and we kinda forgot.

Thanks Death for the fix in time change. I'd have done it myself, but this forum seems to have some problems with editing posts with normal users.

No, that's not a problem. Regular users can only edit their posts for a limited time (I forget the value, offhand).

Or, in other words: that's not a bug, it's a feature. :D

(And even within that editing period, changes to the subject line, when the thread starting post is edited by the one who posted it, don't show in the forum index with the new subject. Getting it to reflect the subject line change in the index requires mod/admin intervention.)

Ok, Dundradal, Grim, and I had an O.k. game. Or at least, Grim and I had a perfect laggless game across continents. Dundradal unfortunately seemed to be having problems connecting though he is in a neighboring state. :(

Yeah I'm not sure what the hell is going on with my connection. Next time I won't have the laptop on the wireless. I'll direct connect it to the router. There is something fishy going on though because I am also unable to host WCP MP games. Hopefully one of our resident experts can give me a hand.

I think it's my connection and not PG that is causing the lag. I just wish I knew why.

Yes we did have a good time. I have a feeling the game should be able to handle more players, but a few more people are needed next week, so if you're a little trigger happy for some Armada action then 7pm EST on 8/2 in #wingnut is where it all begins again.

Thanks Grim, Yah, with they way it handled 2 so smoothly you think one more couldn't hurt. Btw, its 7pm EDT not EST. My little neck of the woods, as with most states, observe a crazy thing called "Daylight-savings time" during the summer. So, what would normally would be a 5 hour difference with GMT is now only 4 hours. I think its crazy, too but there you have it. :D

No, that's not a problem. Regular users can only edit their posts for a limited time (I forget the value, offhand).

Well that time has past, and I can't edit the first post which would have been better then starting a whole new thread. Could you please edit the date and the link? Next time, I'll start a new thread. Thankyou.

Since Chris is back in Seattle now perhaps you should test with him as the third player to get a better idea of how PG handles the lag. I might have some time this weekend to swing in to #wingnut and mess around with my connection to hopefully make it not such a pain for gaming.

Well, we'd like to have another armada session this sunday from 7 EDT, i'd be willing to have a tech support session the hour before, just to help anyone that may need it. Hopfully will have some more interest this weekend.

I'd actually like to have an MP sesh more often, armada and wcpmp. Will have to see how it goes.

Back