Arena series references

Discussion in 'General Wing Commander Chat' started by Baggins, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Blaster

Blaster Rear Admiral

Definitely not sneaking up behind you...really
    At the time of SO everybody thought Blair was dead but the Star*Soldier writers’ commentary said this,

“"unlikeyhood" - Is this Torg's passive-aggressive way of reminding everyone that Blair is dead, or is he still alive and just unlikely to write a memoir (like Neil ARMSTRONG)?”

So I was pretty sure the writers were trying to leave open the possibility that Blair had returned to the Confederation.

2. Baggins

Baggins Petty Officer

Ya, apparently that was Bandit (he wrote most of the manual, and the explanations?) way of leaving things 'open'.

3. Bandit LOAF

Bandit LOAF Long Live the Confederation!

Yeah, that's right -- Arena manual was my baby. I pitched it to the producer (the criminally undercredited Sean Penney!) and he was kind enough to give me a wide latitude to make it happen.

Maybe we'll see something like that again... ;)

By splitting at the WC2 section, pretty much everything in WC2 works. No one ever bothers to reference Venice or the Sivar specifically!

4. Wojo

Wojo Commodore

I'd love to see what the 'marketyrants' spun to the studio - it's amazing (and fascinating) to think that so many titles are driven by people who have no interest whatsoever in the genre, or gaming in general. It's like a bunch of chefs running an auto mechanic shop.

5. Bandit LOAF

Bandit LOAF Long Live the Confederation!

Marketing is never what anyone expects! At the time, you had folks ranting and raging that EA was abusing Wing Commander and just using it to make money... and the reality was pretty far from that.

The project came about for two reasons:

- EA took note of a major increase in sales of "shumps" in Japan the previous year and decided it was worth betting on the idea that they might be the 'next big thing' in the US/Europe (didn't pan out, of course!)
    - The company was looking forward to a predicted rise in smaller digital distribution games via services like Xbox Live, PSN, etc. This one DID pan out, but even then the idea wasn't that they'd get rich on Wing Commander Arena and Boom Boom Rocket... it was that they could lock in/test/consider for purchase smaller outsource studios capable of making those games. The two were more tests of the people than an expectation that they'd make a great profit directly off of the games in 2007.

And that's it! The idea that Arena was a Wing Commander game wasn't dictated by marketing in any way... the producer was asked to put together a shmup-style Xbox Live game using an outsource studio (Gaia.) He realized EA had the Wing Commander license and begged to be able to use it for the project... which they approved over some objections.

LeHah and Baggins like this.
  6. Wojo

Wojo Commodore

So rather than "Let's make a wing commander game; it'll be like this" it was more "Let's make a game like this, how about we make it Wing Commander"... Interesting. It's a shame it didn't do better - I loved some of the design elements & structure. StarSoldier came as a complete (and awesome) surprise!

7. Blaster

Blaster Rear Admiral

Definitely not sneaking up behind you...really
    During The Secret Missions 2 live stream I noticed that the player character said that he had never met a non-human before, but during the events of Academy TV Blair had already met more than one Kilrathi as well as a bunch of Dolosians and whatever those people in the Lords of the Sky episode were called, so I guess that’s one more reason to think he is not the player character in WC1.

8. DefianceIndustries

DefianceIndustries Commodore

You continue to tease this...hang it all man, don't leave us in suspense! :D

9. RogueBanshee

RogueBanshee Rear Admiral

I like this though Lafong would defintely have a comeback story of his own to be counted as one of the great aces of the war. It just hasn't been told yet.

10. Baggins

Baggins Petty Officer

Problem with this is even Carl LaFong or Jason Armstrong met/helped save Hobbes (was Hobbes saved more than once in Firekkan and Cairo systems?) Don't know if Carl personally met any Firekanns though.

11. Baggins

Baggins Petty Officer

Bandit did you ever find the all the transcripts for Arena?

12. Baggins

Baggins Petty Officer

Well actually Prankster also says this in those in between mission storyline in the novel:

"This is great, "the mad man of Firekka" and the "traitor of K'tithrack Mang" are back together again."

So as you mentioned "Traitor of K'tithrack Mang"
    along with being called Prankster by Paladin in that chapter is pretty specific LaFong reference. Infact he's referred to as Prankster by the Commander in charge of his Court Martial during the Court Martial as well, and by Spirit on his way to his cabin to be locked-up before the Court-Martial... Then at least twice by Maniac, and maybe once by Angel.

In another section later the epilogue "Prankster" meets up with Maniac for a Goddard Special (LaFong's favorite drink though the entire book) recalls back to the story when they were in the academy together and they first met gives a short callback to an event mentioned in the Academy years chapter.

With those references and the intro to the book where LaFong mentions Wing Commander I and II are interactive holo-sims/vid-games about his time on the Tiger's Claw and Concordia it seems more than enough to be sure that at least the "between Missions" sections and the epilogue has to be about LaFong.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017