Arena Extraction - 3D Models (August 11, 2010)

Hey my new Sorthak modell still needs some Scooby love (aka textures) if you want work ^_^

As for the model dump. There is a lot of other stuff in it beside the ship models.
I have so far seen Planets, Missiles, Starbases and even weapon fx (they are 3d models for some reason).

All in all enough to do a complete Privateer2 mod. The models need some attention as they are all pretty low poly (about 400 for a fighter) and they have tons of textures instead of just a single one.
Still I would guess its a good start. You just need a game with similar mechanics like Freelancer maybe?

Thanks for the kudos for the image. I was quite surprised that these small textures work so well in a big still image. I have just givem them some specular properties and dragged a copy into the bump mapping slot. So its a pretty easy setup that is still working.
Okay the backed in shadows are a small problem. As you might have noticed the light is comming from a complete different direction. ^_^

Okay I have done all sides + one perspective view of all the models.
That makes about 494 images.

I have uploaded the images so you guys can use them for whatever you want.
Privateer2-images
Its an self extracting rar file about 17MB.
Have fun with it.

One question, do we have any size numbers for the different ships?
I have just put beside each other some capships and...well origin had its strange way of scaling things.

As they reuse the same windows texture on all these models I rescaled them to fit each others windowssize and then it would be more like this

I guess this would be more accurate, wouldn't it? I don't know. Maybe this big looking ship was realy that small. I can't remember it.

PS: While looking through all the models I got the impression that some of these have been kinda reused with slight modifications in Freelancer and Starlancer. Well wouldn't be much of a surprise. Guess that quite a good number of the original guys where also working on these projects.

The large ship is a military Veldor-class carrier. The fighters are (I *think*) civilian Drakkar medium fighters. They have a different paint scheme (all blue) in the actual game, but they look like that in stills and promotional materials.
Well the textures are what they are linking to in the model files. Maybe they used some kind of texture replacement technic ingame to change textures for the different factions instead of building new models for each faction. Overall I can say that all the models have basicly the same set of textures. On the other hand there aren't a lot of different textureset. At least none that I noticed.

Oh and here a closer look at the fighter from the other image

I don't think there were any measurements for the Privateer 2 ships at all.

Thank you very much for the renders. I notice that almost all of them are different from the finished game--they almost all have 'red white and blue' textures instead of the pirate clan or military markings most of them have in the game itself.

Just edited my post above about that. I also noticed that but as I said, I just took them as they are.
Also I didn't noticed any special/extra textures that change the overall look.

I believe the same textures show up in promo material... I believe the fighters are all colored this way on the pull out poster that comes with the official guide.

That carrier looks so much like that one from Starlancer! I know I'm probably in the minority here but I really loved the look of the P2 ships.

Hey Howie, well, I checked the map channels, same issue in the 5th channel as the others...

Also, I don't know if you used 3D Ripper in Starcraft, because it isn't really necessary, the Galaxy Editor has an export function, then if you extract the correct material files, you can import it into Max (animations included) - Thanks for the tips though, still scratching my head on this tho

That carrier looks so much like that one from Starlancer! I know I'm probably in the minority here but I really loved the look of the P2 ships.

Same for the Drakkar Fighter actually. If you compare it with the Crusader from SL, there's a very strong resemblance.
The proportions are different of course but almost all the features are the same (round nose, squary cockpit, the "shoulder pad" on top, the shape of the wings, the stabilizers pointing down, etc...)
The only major difference I can see it the shape of the intakes.

Sorry if this was already obvious to everybody.

Well the textures are what they are linking to in the model files. Maybe they used some kind of texture replacement technic ingame to change textures for the different factions instead of building new models for each faction. Overall I can say that all the models have basicly the same set of textures. On the other hand there aren't a lot of different textureset. At least none that I noticed.

Textures in Privateer 2 are stored without palette info, appropriate palette is chosen on-the-fly. My guess is those gifs in TABS.GIF are those palettes although gifs themselves use standard game palette. You can see by the names, for example CV-BL-GY.GIF means blue->gray. From that info I made (as best as I could since there are two instances where 16 colors gradient must translate into 32 color gradient, I duplicated each color) appropriate palette files for use in photoshop or any other image editing software.

I've attached palettes (remove .txt) and shot of a ship with one modified texture.

PS.
Hope you don't mind, since .zip files can't be uploaded I've added .txt extension to the zip, but if there is a problem with that, I'll remove the attachment.

Attachments

• heretic.jpg
    heretic.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 212
  • priv2-pals.zip.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 153
Happy days! I remember building these models a long time ago in a galaxy very close. Phil Meller textured them, very good for the time. We worked as a team throughout Privateer 2 and Starlancer.

Back