Arena Extraction - 3D Models (August 11, 2010)

Hey, I'm loving the models, and yes, I want to use them in Starcraft 2 for an idea I'm playing with. Problem is my system is 64bit which 3D Ripper doesn't support. (It rips the models but destroys the uvw coordinates for some reason) I posted to their forums but have had no response to date.

I tried AD's method of building material files with no success, therefore, I too wait patiently for the release of these models (or more advice on how to build a .material file for the ship files, which contain multiple textures and sub objects) - I'm clueless with OGRE, and haven't found much on their site other than a tutorial similar to the one AD provided.

Is the problem with the 3D ripper realy related to the 64bit OS? I also have an 64bit OS and the same problem but never thought that these two things would be related.

My problem with the 3d ripper was just stupidity on my part. I just had to read the directions first before trying to use.

Well, I do know that before my new machine, good ol' 32 bit wasn't a problem, I've used 3D Ripper a few times, checked the instructions, and discussion board, only link I could see was the 64bit OS, I'll try and borrow a laptop from my work and see if that works (32bit Win XP systems as opposed to my 64bit Windows 7 system)

Hey, I'm loving the models, and yes, I want to use them in Starcraft 2 for an idea I'm playing with. Problem is my system is 64bit which 3D Ripper doesn't support. (It rips the models but destroys the uvw coordinates for some reason) I posted to their forums but have had no response to date.

I tried AD's method of building material files with no success, therefore, I too wait patiently for the release of these models (or more advice on how to build a .material file for the ship files, which contain multiple textures and sub objects) - I'm clueless with OGRE, and haven't found much on their site other than a tutorial similar to the one AD provided.

Ohoho! Nope, the 3dRipperDX works just fine on a 64bit system. The only issue is that it puts the actual UV coordinates in the *5th* UV Channel - the first 4 are rubbish. So, yeah - I had a bit of fun ripping Starcraft 2 models.
banshee.jpg

hydralisk.jpg

Heh. Great fun. I feel a little dirty doing it, though - and I'm certainly not gonna share the assets I snagged with any of you. :p
More images:
http://www.hedfiles.net/banshee2.jpg
http://www.hedfiles.net/bcsmall.jpg
http://www.hedfiles.net/bcsmall2.png

It's a hell of a lot of fun seeing how these Blizzard guys went about doing their artwork - I find it surprisingly similar to the workflows I've seen around my company - and that includes the urge to put hidden easter eggs in unused texture space. It's almost a "Where's Waldo" sort of thing.

Starcraft?!

Anyway, somebody use science and/or magic to make 'five view' images of all the Arena and Privateer 2 models, please.

Heheh. Sorry, Loaf. I'll stay on topic. So, on the Arena and Priv2 models...the 3dRipper only works on DirectX 7 or later...and I don't think those two used directX at all, being dos games. However, there might be other options. I'll look around and see what I can find.

You mean something like this with 5 images?

Made this just quickly. At least that works well but thats because I use a completly different program for these.

Okay...I think I could provide you with single images of what I find in that folder. You just have to put them together youself so they fit to whatevery you need them for.

I think LOAF was actually looking for someone to put them 5 view images together for the different projects.

I will upload the images when they are done.

And I couldn't resist and made this....

Its not that bad I think. Don't even know if these ships belong to each other. I haven't played Privateer2 in....well a long time ^_^

Good golly that's beautiful.

The large ship is a military Veldor-class carrier. The fighters are (I *think*) civilian Drakkar medium fighters. They have a different paint scheme (all blue) in the actual game, but they look like that in stills and promotional materials.

Back