Arena Extraction - 3D Models (August 11, 2010)

midway.png

battlecruiser.png

I haven't bothered to experiment with the textures yet.. but the model extraction via ogre and 3d ripper works like a charm!

mmh, with those extracted files is it theoretically possible to "fix" a PC version of arena? I mean a sort of light version with no multiplayer support ( I suppose this would be difficult), only single player mode.
Not really - these extracted files don't actually make the slightest difference. Producing 3d models is really not a problem. There's plenty of people in the community who could easily re-create the Arena ships if they wanted to. But creating a PC version of Arena involves - well, it involves creating a PC version of Arena. Having the models just doesn't get you any closer to having a fully-functional game.

I understand, so the gain of these modelpack is in fact creating ship models for other games like SO etc.

I understand, so the gain of these modelpack is in fact creating ship models for other games like SO etc.
Correct. Someone could now take these models, and use them (though definitely they'd require some modification - technology has moved on since 1997 :) ) in SO or in another engine.

Mh I don't seam to get it working properly. The models are flat and the UV-map seams to be gone. To bad.

@NinjaLA
The battleships looks much more interesting from that perspective. Did they actually modeled a detailed underside? In Arena you don't see that part so I would guess that they didn't payed to much attention to that part.

@Triple-B
Basicly yes. You could also use them to create images/renders, animations useing the models or just take a closer look at them as you would get when playing Arena.
As for ingame use...wasn't there just the news with the StarCraft2 mod using WC models? That could also be a strange but funny possibility.
The other game that comes to my mind, that could be interesting to have a WC mod for it, is Gratuitous-Space-Battles.
I think I read something that its moddable but didn't do any research in that direction. Doing Saga is allready enough.

I also found this nice script for importing OGRE 3D models into Blender 3D. It requires OgreCommandLineTools to be installed on your computer, though. If you are using this script, it is very important that the file name and path of the location of the OgreCommandLineTools and the models you are trying to import have no spaces in them.

Mh I don't seam to get it working properly. The models are flat and the UV-map seams to be gone. To bad.

3D Ripper rips "as you see it" with FOV, aspect ratio and all, that's why it's distorted.
When you install it, you also get the option of installing a 3dr plugin for 3ds max (pretty much any version out there).
When you load the 3dr in max, just choose one of the "recommended values" (shouldn't be more than one or two).
If you don't have max or have to use the obj, you'll have to use other means of perspective correction. I know a script, but it's for max and of no use in this case.
The UV should be ok, don't know what went wrong.

I also found this nice script for importing OGRE 3D models into Blender 3D.

Yeah that's the one i tried, in the end i found it much more time-consuming trying to get the script to work properly than to just rip the models from the viewer.
Here's a max script as well, didn't work with the xmls i created either
http://users.telenet.be/u122561/downloads/ImportOgreXml.ms

Edit: Are the png textures converted from dds or tga files? i'm wondering because the normal maps have suspiciously big transparent areas. I'm guessing they had the specular maps hidden in the alpha channel, which was transformed into transparency when converted to png. On the other hand, the MainLibrary.xml refers to pngs as well, so i'm not sure.

Attachments

• arrow_armor_normal.png
    arrow_armor_normal.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 171
they didn't do much with the bottom of the battleships or port broughton model. they weren't visible so it probably wasn't necessary. it'd be pretty easy to 'finish' the detailing though.. that was just a midnight experiment in extraction.

oh.. there is a wrecked centurion among the models in that package.

they didn't do much with the bottom of the battleships or port broughton model. they weren't visible so it probably wasn't necessary. it'd be pretty easy to 'finish' the detailing though.. that was just a midnight experiment in extraction.

oh.. there is a wrecked centurion among the models in that package.

You probably noticed, but the battleship also doesnt have any turrets or missile launchers...any of it's destructuble components. They're all separate meshes. Theres a file somewhere in the pack that defines which ones go where, though I'm not sure how useful the coordinates are in a practical setting.

my guess is that they all line up on their own when you import them onto the base model.. I'll test that out later

Arena Scout & the Eclipse..Check em out

Attachments

• Arrow1.jpg
    Arrow1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 188
  • Arrow2.jpg
    Arrow2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 184
If anyone would like to do the following ships and send just the obj's to me that would be greatly appreciated my email: is Hulse83@Hotmail.com.

Rapier, Paktahn, Darket, Perry Navel, Midway class, Indomitable class, Broadsword, Dralthi, Longbow, that's bout it.

Here's the Different style Rapiers. Cavalier, Vanguard , and Blade

Attachments

• Rap01.jpg
    Rap01.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Rap02.jpg
    Rap02.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 208
  • Rap03.jpg
    Rap03.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 207
It blows my mind you guys are able to do this kind of thing with whats really a download only game. Great job!

I just hope you guys will also release the converted modelfiles too ^_^
I still don't know whats wrong on my end with the conversion.

Back