Are You Ready For Some Football?

So, who are you guys picking? Last year I lucked out and called it all the way through the Super Bowl. That hadn't happened in quite a while. This year:

AFC (still the better conference) to watch:

Pittsburgh
Kansas City
San Diego
Indianapolis

NFC to watch:

Philadelphia
Carolina
Minnesotta
Atlanta

Super Bowl: Indianapolis vs. Atlanta with Indianapolis winning it all

Why do you americans call american football football? You hardly use your feet. It's like rugby for wusses. Soccer, involves using your foot to kick a ball, hence the more appropriate name football. Surely american football should be called padded rugby or something?

Send an email to Paul Taglibue...I'm sure he'll give your complaint due consideration.

On the actual subject, oh yeah, I'm ready!!!! My favorite team (I've been a fan since their first season) the Jacksonville Jaguars, might actually be good this year (we'll wait till the season starts to say for sure though). Things are looking good. Last year I had picked the Colts to win it (versus Eagles after beating Patriots) so I guess I was pretty close but not quite.

Anyway, I agree with you BigWicksDagger, AFC is by far the better conference to watch. Here's my picks

AFC

Indianapolis Colts (will likely win their division with hopefully the Jaguars right on their heels)
Denver Broncos
New York Jets
San Diego
Pittsburgh
Jacksonville Jaguars (I had to include them ;) )

NFC

Philadelphia Eagles
Dallas Cowboys
Green Bay Packers
New Orleans Saints
Seattle Seahawks

Happy Camper said:
It's like rugby for wusses.

Yeah :rolleyes:

I'm sure Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Jerome Bettis, Roy Williams, and Mike Alstott would agree with you.

Maj.Striker:

Thanks for including my Cowboys. They might squeek into the post season, but I think they are still 3 or 4 good players away at skill positions from competing for a championship.

Ridgerunner said:
Call Randy White, Harvey Martin, Ed Jones, "Hacksaw" Harris, or Joe Greene a wuss and see what happens.:rolleyes:
I will, on the condition that I can have a similar number of rugby players protecting me which was my point, not that american football players are wusses as scuh, but rugby players do stuff that's almost as dangerous, but without padding that could withstand an artillery bombardment.

Having both watched professional rugby (in England) and played amateur rugby I feel somewhat qualified to say that although it's quite a fun sport in its own right, there is nothing in rugby that is inherently more dangerous than American football. The difference between American Football and rugby is there are more opportunities to really lay a hit on someone. Rugby is a rough and tumble game but typically everyone is only a few feet away from each other and it's like a great big giant offensive line versus a great big defensive line pushing the ball up and down the field. Whereas Rugby is an almost completely physical game, American football is a physical game that allows for finesse and for synchronized execution and some elements of strategy. Rugby eliminates most of those additional elements and focuses soley on the physical aspects, ignoring the thinking required in American football. So, in other words, take a good physcially fit American football player (I'm not saying an offensive or defensive lineman) and put him in a game of rugby and he'll probably be alright. Put a rugby player in an American game of football and he'll probably flounder...because it does require some brain activity (not much...but some).

Well, I can't argue with that. Rugby is hardly a game that requires finesse, or intelligence, however, it's rare to find a stupid rugby player. Most of them are really quite intelligent, they just choose not to use it in their proffession. But why is it called football, when the ball isn't shaped in a way that is conducive to kicking?

I would guarantee you that I can kick a football a lot farther than I can kick a soccer ball...with greater height and better form. :)

I'm ready for lots of football, but the world cup is only next year. american football is just... yawn... boring.

And the fact that you can kick an american oval better than a foot proves only that you are a lame football kicker :)

You know when "my sport is great and yours sucks huh huh huh huh huh" stopped being cute?

1994, it stopped being cute in 1994.

It's no football! It's AMERICAN football!

Quote:

"Why do you americans call american football football? You hardly use your feet. It's like rugby for wusses. Soccer, involves using your foot to kick a ball, hence the more appropriate name football. Surely american football should be called padded rugby or something?"

I agree with you. It should be called handball. Plus all it is: guys on top of each other hahahahaahahaha....you don't need special skills like in FUTEBOL(FOOTBALL). In American football, you need to need to run or be overweight!

While you guys keep arguing over what's better as a sport, how about I will watch TV and drink a Brahma and maybe eat some "pao de queijo"...yammiiiii! :D

Edfilho said:
I'm ready for lots of football, but the world cup is only next year. american football is just... yawn... boring.

And the fact that you can kick an american oval better than a foot proves only that you are a lame football kicker :)
I can think of few more boring sports than soccer. Golf whips its ass. Still, it never ceases to amaze me how some South Americans and Europeans get stupid whenever US sports fans want to discuss football. It propably stems from the fact that 3 of the 4 most popular sports on the planet were invented in the USA. That and the fact that the Super Bowl is the most watched sporting event in the world.

You don't like it? Don't watch it, and quit your bitchin'.

GO COWBOYS!

BrazilianGal said:
Quote:

"Why do you americans call american football football? You hardly use your feet. It's like rugby for wusses.
Those were my exact words.

BigsWickDagger said:
I can think of few more boring sports than soccer.
Yep, soccer never really did much for me, but my point still stands as to whu it's called football, it just doesn't make sense, and so far, nobody has come up with an answer.

I'm not sure about the three out four most popular sports thing, but my two favourite sports to play (I seldom watch any sports) are basketball and ultimate frisbee, which are both american.

As I've said before, I don't have a problem with American football, except it's name, because you don't use your feet. Can someone please explain to me why it's called that?

Not a real sports fan, but I am into college football, I am a Longhorn. I hope the Houston Texan makes it to Play-offs and the Super Bowl. I hope Longhorns make it to Nationals and win. I also hope we beat OU in the Red River Shootout.

Happy Camper said:
...Those were my exact words....

Camper... I think he was quoting you.

Happy Camper said:
...because you don't use your feet.

ON the subject of feet, stop saying that because it feigns ignorance. The uprights (the thing that looks like a modified Y) is kind like the net. Sure the end zone is where you get touchdows for the most points but a field goal (when the ball is sent between the uprights) MUST be kicked. A team can atempt this on their last down if they dont feel they can make the TD or after a TD they get to try for a Field goal... esentially a bonus point (or rather they need to complete the field goal for a full score). Then the ball is Punted... aka kicked to the other team.

So its true that while 75% of the gameplay is running and passing (and tackling) feet play an imprtant roll. Unlike your horrible blanket statements of how feet arent used in american football (despite the fact that players need to run on them)

Now I'm not really a football (american) or football (soccer) fan I do enjoy playing both.

Interesting side note: Canadian football has a slightly wider field than its american counterpart and only has 3 downs instead of four. Plus I think the ball might be slightly larger too. Needless to say it changes the dynamic of the game. (some say it's faster paced but I haven't really compared them myself.)

Back