Are there any possibilities of getting new Wing Commander games for PC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazzam

Spaceman
Forgive Gentlemen, I just wanted to know if there are any new marketing on the new Wing Commander games for new faster computers that handles Window XP??
Why? I did recalled that someone mentioned that Wing Commander games pack would be out soon, am I right??:confused:

Forgive Gentlemen, I just wanted to know if there are any new marketing on the new Wing Commander games for new faster computers that handles Window XP??
Why? I did recalled that someone mentioned that Wing Commander games pack would be out soon, am I right??:confused:

EA Replay just came out for the PSP and that has WC1 and WC1-SM1 in the 14 game compilation. There aren't any other announced plans for XP compilations but you can almost be certain it will happen someday soon. Classic gaming compilations seem to be the rage and a set kind of like the C&C first decade set only seems like the logical next step for EA.

I'm one of those people who's a sucker for remakes.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, and the RE games for the Game Cube... I have much fun playing those. Almost as much as when I play the originals.

Anyway, it would be really great (to me) if the first 4 games were created more along the lines of Prophecy, albeit with a more efficient engine for higher poly counts, and the full lighting effects, etc..

Hell, if you want to keep the cartoonish look, have the conversations drawn in a 90's comic book fashion, and use cel-shading in the realtime 3D environments.

But there I go thinking again.

No Wing Commander games for the PC have been announced, but I share AD's optimism that a C&CTFD-style collection will be released at some point in the future -- as EA Replay (and recent Sierra releases) prove, emulation-in-a-box can work just fine.

That said, I would personally expect to see a *new* Wing Commander game on one of the next generation consoles rather than the PC... all of the aborted WC projects in the last several years were based around this concept, and it's really the only way to make money with a big budget game in the 21st century.

I wish they would make the last two games in the WC: Prophecy trilogy. Even if they only used cgi cutscenes instead of footage with real actors, it'd be ok

Ehhh... the idea that there was some kind of pre-planned Prophecy trilogy is something if a misconception. This was a vague concept for a short time -- when Rod Nakamoto (or... David Downing?) was in charge of Wing Commander, which had basically ended before Prophecy even shipped. The "trilogy" consists of two placeholder names... anything else you've heard is something made up by fans. The team went a different way, developing Secret Ops and then (the cancelled) Strike Team. There was no grand storyline planned out in advance.

That said, I would personally expect to see a *new* Wing Commander game on one of the next generation consoles rather than the PC... all of the aborted WC projects in the last several years were based around this concept, and it's really the only way to make money with a big budget game in the 21st century.[/QUOTE]

What a waste, why bother the consoles?? Why should we spend our money on the consoles games instead of PCs?? Oh man, it is suppose to be great collector items for all of us.

What a waste, why bother the consoles?? Why should we spend our money on the consoles games instead of PCs??

If you go and look where Electronic Arts and most major publishers are primarily making their money, it's not on the PC (there's just a few exceptions along the lines of Blizzard and NCSoft). Sales of PC games made up only 11% of EA's total in the last quarter, and this proportion continues to gradually shrink. From EA's point of view, it's more likely to be a waste to develop something just for the PC, because so many more people play games on consoles and handheld systems now.

EA typically makes multiplatform games for as large an audience as practical, but not every game goes this route. If you analyze the trends, you can kind of read into this a bit. Sony PSP sales made up 8% of EA's take last quarter, and this is an area where EA is growing strong. It's entirely possible that PSP games could eclipse PC games very soon. Their next biggest growth platform is the XBox 360 (and then cell phone games, which actually accounted for an impressive 4% of last quarter's sales).

Hopefully they would make it a multi-plataform game, but consoles are the hot thing right now.

Hopefully they would make it a multi-plataform game, but consoles are the hot thing right now.
It's pretty sad that so much emphasis is being placed on Console games. PCs have so much potential for power and for a truely awesome gaming experience, but their price and relative complexity makes them unpopular with a large number of people. If a new Wing Commander game is made, I hope to God it will be made for the PC first, Consoles second. At least we have Pioneer and Standoff until then.

The order is probably not relevant. KOTOR was made for the XBox first, and turned out to be one very good PC game.

A bunch of new generation consoles has just been released, what makes them very hot. Maybe after some time the PC might regain some lost ground. The console market is more dynamic but also volatile, and has a history of crashes.

The market for PC games is small right now, but is not negligible to the point no one will make games for it. If EA loses interest, it'll just mean more opportunity for other developers. Regardless of that, I think that a new WC game would eventually have a PC version.

It's pretty sad that so much emphasis is being placed on Console games. PCs have so much potential for power and for a truely awesome gaming experience, but their price and relative complexity makes them unpopular with a large number of people.

The thing about this is that it's reserved for a tiny minority. An XBox 360 or PS3 has more processing and graphical power than the average WC fan's PC today (not to mention the general gaming public), and it'd be cheaper and easier for most WC fans to go out and buy an XBox right now than it'd be to start looking into CPUs, video cards, replacement motherboards to handle these components and so on. The gaming market is moving towards consoles for a reason. There are very real benefits now to playing there.

Take something like C&C3 that was originally just announced for the PC. I have a bunch of friends who were sad about that because they didn't have and wouldn't have a computer up to playing it, but they all have XBox 360s. PCs might have potential for a "truely awesome gaming experience," but consoles are delivering it to more people right now. I'll be able to sit in front of my big tv and sound system and kick back while playing, and voice and video chat with all my friends will be easily and automatically built in to the C&C360 interface. All the graphics and framerate should be superior to what most PC players get, and it'll be easier to connect with all my friends through XBox Live. I'll also be able to track all my friends' progress via their achievements lists. It sounds like it'll be a better way to play all around.

I still belive, that PC will finally regain it's position. It was announced that PC is not a platform for gaming back in Commodere 64 and Amiga days :D and when PSX came out again, but then came the era of 3D accelerators and PC was hot again

As for price - yeah perhaps in US it's easier to purchase an Xbox. but here in Poland most people can't afford a console, while building your PC from parts, can be pretty cheap, if you don't upgrade everything at once, and instead change RAM, then CPU and so on... of course the top rating PC is three times more expensive than the console, but you dont have to buy it all at once - my keybord remebers times when i had 486DX40... and Xbox360 is still worth avarage monthly pay here - it's not the money you wish to spend on the console used solemly for games

Going to conclusion - i beleve that PC gaming market will be reborn, and i hope that new WC will be primerly a PC game

If WC came to a console I would just hope that a company would create a joystick-throttle-rudder pedal setup to be used on flight sim games. Other than that just getting a new WC game is enough for me.

I'm just glad that analog controls are standard for new consoles; the digital control in the SNES version was somewhat limiting when it came to turning and finding the enemies who were circling you like satellites.

If WC came to a console I would just hope that a company would create a joystick-throttle-rudder pedal setup to be used on flight sim games. Other than that just getting a new WC game is enough for me.
I think that initially released it wouldn't but if it became popular and people started copying it then they might for the next game.

One word on consoles and cheap: You ever tried to play an RTS on a regular TV screen? 640x480@60 Hz? Ouch. So you will practically need an additional HDTV screen. Plus Keyboard and Mouse. Still sure that this is cheaper then a midclass PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back