Are there any possibilities of getting new Wing Commander games for PC??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a strange setup compared to say, Final Fantasy, but it can be done. It's awkward if you're not used to it. With enough play though, some people have become efficient killers.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go become a member of the local mafia. But that's what I get for playing GTA 3.

If you go and look where Electronic Arts and most major publishers are primarily making their money, it's not on the PC (there's just a few exceptions along the lines of Blizzard and NCSoft). Sales of PC games made up only 11% of EA's total in the last quarter, and this proportion continues to gradually shrink. From EA's point of view, it's more likely to be a waste to develop something just for the PC, because so many more people play games on consoles and handheld systems now.

EA typically makes multiplatform games for as large an audience as practical, but not every game goes this route. If you analyze the trends, you can kind of read into this a bit. Sony PSP sales made up 8% of EA's take last quarter, and this is an area where EA is growing strong. It's entirely possible that PSP games could eclipse PC games very soon. Their next biggest growth platform is the XBox 360 (and then cell phone games, which actually accounted for an impressive 4% of last quarter's sales).

Oh Frak!! It sounds so devious for us to sell our own good PC and get the freaking 360 and hook up chat online with it and along with it if this thing have emails including it if what you're saying it is powerful enough and I don't see why I should keep the PC, eh?:(

I think he's saying that he doesn't want to sell his PC to buy an Y-Box and use it for emails and chat so that he won't need the PC anymore. :confused:

Oh please God...

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and I'm so thrilled to be here. I never actually realised what support there is for WC out there...

I'm a long time WC fan. I've played them all, watched the WC movie (uggghhh), bought the WC movie (doh!) and currently downloading the WCA TV episodes...so cool!

Anyway I do hope as well that we can get a compilation pack....I used to have the Kilrathi Saga but can't find it anywhere now...but it goes for serious money on eBay let me tell you that! I think the chances of us getting a Compilation pack are probably quite high since the compatibility of XP needs to be addressed- how many WC fans willhapply hand over £40 for a whole box of 1,2,3,4 not to mention the other games in the WC series (my favourite was Privateer 2: The Darkening myself)...

In time they will realise that we need this...no we DEMAND this...

So please EA - all I want for Christmas (next year) is a WC Compilation...

Doc AnthraX

One word on consoles and cheap: You ever tried to play an RTS on a regular TV screen? 640x480@60 Hz? Ouch. So you will practically need an additional HDTV screen.

No you don't.

Plus Keyboard and Mouse. Still sure that this is cheaper then a midclass PC?

Oh dear, not another keyboard and mouse!

They don't have WASD/Mouse controls on consoles? How can they possibly play FPS games?

Have you seriously not seen us talk about this on numerous occasions? I personally can't even stand mouse/keyboard controls for FPS games, and I've talked about the benefits to using a controller for them many times.

Anyway I do hope as well that we can get a compilation pack....I used to have the Kilrathi Saga but can't find it anywhere now...but it goes for serious money on eBay let me tell you that!

Hey, welcome to the forums. A new compilation would be great, but you can get all of the original DOS Wing Commander games to work fine in XP now. They can be much cheaper and easier to find than the Kilrathi Saga.

Why can't you play an RTS on a TV, though? There've been console ports of Dunes, C&Cs, Red Alerts, Starcrafts and others.

The thing about this is that it's reserved for a tiny minority. An XBox 360 or PS3 has more processing and graphical power than the average WC fan's PC today (not to mention the general gaming public), and it'd be cheaper and easier for most WC fans to go out and buy an XBox right now than it'd be to start looking into CPUs, video cards, replacement motherboards to handle these components and so on. The gaming market is moving towards consoles for a reason. There are very real benefits now to playing there.

Take something like C&C3 that was originally just announced for the PC. I have a bunch of friends who were sad about that because they didn't have and wouldn't have a computer up to playing it, but they all have XBox 360s. PCs might have potential for a "truely awesome gaming experience," but consoles are delivering it to more people right now. I'll be able to sit in front of my big tv and sound system and kick back while playing, and voice and video chat with all my friends will be easily and automatically built in to the C&C360 interface. All the graphics and framerate should be superior to what most PC players get, and it'll be easier to connect with all my friends through XBox Live. I'll also be able to track all my friends' progress via their achievements lists. It sounds like it'll be a better way to play all around.

Now, the problem is that playing a RTS game like C&C3 is uncomfortable at best and impossible at worst with console controls. Mice, trackballs, and keyboards are far more suited for the quick and precise movements required for playing RTS games than the comparitively clunky console controls. This is why basically no RTS games are ported to consoles: they just don't work on them.
You also state that PCs aren't delivering right now. PCs are lightyears ahead of consoles in graphics, while consoles on the whole are decent but are simplified for the common person who knows that PS3 > PS2 because 3 > 2. The advantage consoles have is that they are simple and cheap, and when a new one rolls around, you just put the old one in the closet, while computers can be tailored and upgraded. You'd be suprised on how well a good gaming computer ages.
Going to conclusion - i beleve that PC gaming market will be reborn, and i hope that new WC will be primerly a PC game
I'm glad not everyone has a Wii controller lodged in their brain. I would be pretty sad if the next Wing Commander game was made specifically for Consoles, like the bastard Mechassault games were made mainly for consoles and consequentially ruined the Battletech franchise.

Oh, EA will at the least port a new WC to the PC.

As for my own gaming computer: well it held up pretty well for 3-4 years and it wasn't even top-of-line stuff. I still had to upgrade it recently, though, with a second-tier video card, 512 MB more RAM, and a new DVD drive (I think, though, that I replaced the old reader I had with a reader/writer). (Note that I didn't include HD changes, but it was still several years before I needed the added GBage.) Even though make machine cost over 2K, it is a fairly universal gaming medium and so much more can be done with modding on the PC than with consoles, AFAIK-A. Also, I don't plan on needing a new machine for a while.

Why can't you play an RTS on a TV, though? There've been console ports of Dunes, C&Cs, Red Alerts, Starcrafts and others.

Sure. And after half an hour my eyes are full of tears and another 30 mins later they seriously hurt. And by the end of the day I need glasses.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I might be especially sensible to bad refresh rates, but doing something that requires lots of attention to details (working, RTS, FPS,... ) on a regular TV or a cheap VGA monitor is simply not even worth discussing for me. Party games, racing, jump and runs, those are ok (if there is enough distance to the screen).

And no, you cannot convince me that a gamepad is any useful for an RTS or for aiming in a FPS (replacing the wasd with a 'stick' is ok even if it is something one has to get used to first). Fast movement, ok, they can be great there. But not precision.

Mice, trackballs, and keyboards are far more suited for the quick and precise movements required for playing RTS games than the comparitively clunky console controls. This is why basically no RTS games are ported to consoles: they just don't work on them.

LOAF just gave you a list of high profile RTS releases for consoles, and EA just released an RTS for the 360 a few months ago that was roundly praised for figuring out how to do an RTS right with a controller.

The Battle for Middle-earth II proves that real-time strategy works on the Xbox 360. It's also a pretty impressive game, as well. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/battleformiddleearth2/index.html

You also state that PCs aren't delivering right now. PCs are lightyears ahead of consoles in graphics,

No they're not. The PC and 360 screenshots of C&C3 are indistinguishable.
https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/tiberiumwars05.jpg
https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/tiberiumwars08.jpg

while consoles on the whole are decent but are simplified for the common person who knows that PS3 > PS2 because 3 > 2. The advantage consoles have is that they are simple and cheap, and when a new one rolls around, you just put the old one in the closet, while computers can be tailored and upgraded. You'd be suprised on how well a good gaming computer ages.

Who do you think you're talking to? I've been both a PC and console gamer for twenty years. I just bought a brand new system with a Core 2 processor last month, and I stretched a system to run Prophecy at half the minimum requirements. I have an idea how well gaming computers age. Comments like "consoles are simplified for the common person" and "they're just simple and cheap" reeks of an elitist PC owner that doesn't know anything about modern consoles.

I'm glad not everyone has a Wii controller lodged in their brain. I would be pretty sad if the next Wing Commander game was made specifically for Consoles, like the bastard Mechassault games were made mainly for consoles and consequentially ruined the Battletech franchise.

Or saved it. Had the Mech Assault spinoff franchise not moved forward, Mech Warrior 5 still would have been cancelled and Battletech fans would have been left with no games. You might think you're too high and mighty to try the variants for consoles, but they were big hits and exposed many new people to the series - which helps sustain it until the time when a Mech Warrior 5 is feasible.

Sure. And after half an hour my eyes are full of tears and another 30 mins later they seriously hurt. And by the end of the day I need glasses.

How'd you ever manage using PC monitors prior to the mid nineties?

I might be especially sensible to bad refresh rates, but doing something that requires lots of attention to details (working, RTS, FPS,... ) on a regular TV or a cheap VGA monitor is simply not even worth discussing for me. Party games, racing, jump and runs, those are ok (if there is enough distance to the screen).

Yeah, it must be you. I think most people can watch tv closely for more than 30 minutes without pain.

And no, you cannot convince me that a gamepad is any useful for an RTS or for aiming in a FPS (replacing the wasd with a 'stick' is ok even if it is something one has to get used to first). Fast movement, ok, they can be great there. But not precision.

If you can get used to moving with the stick, you can get used to aiming with it too. If you're just opposed to the mere idea of it, our describing how we actually do it won't sway you; but millions of people are switching/taking to it and having tons of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get used to moving with the stick, you can get used to aiming with it too. If you're just opposed to the mere idea of it, our describing how we actually do it won't sway you; but millions of people are switching/taking to it and having tons of fun.
You're right on most of the points but this. You don't see an auto-aim feature for the vast majority of PC games. You just can't accurately use a gamepad without said auto-aim.

You're right on most of the points but this. You don't see an auto-aim feature for the vast majority of PC games. You just can't accurately use a gamepad without said auto-aim.

When I shoot at something in a game, I'll either hit or miss depending on how well I aim. That's the same with a mouse or a gamepad. A mouse could technically allow for more accuracy, but it's certainly wrong to say that you cannot be accurate with a gamepad. But when it comes down to it, you can talk forever about mouse DPIs and analogue stick compensation and so on, but those details don't really change the total picture here. I've been a PC FPS player for thirteen years; but I played an FPS game on a console till 4 AM this morning and I haven't touched a PC one since August 2004. Things that do have an impact on how people play is how intuitive a control scheme is, how easy it is for new players to learn and how much nuance is embeded in it to allow advanced players to master. These are all things I've found to be superior with a controller for shooters.

When I shoot at something in a game, I'll either hit or miss depending on how well I aim. That's the same with a mouse or a gamepad. A mouse could technically allow for more accuracy, but it's certainly wrong to say that you cannot be accurate with a gamepad. But when it comes down to it, you can talk forever about mouse DPIs and analogue stick compensation and so on, but those details don't really change the total picture here. I've been a PC FPS player for thirteen years; but I played an FPS game on a console till 4 AM this morning and I haven't touched a PC one since August 2004. Things that do have an impact on how people play is how intuitive a control scheme is, how easy it is for new players to learn and how much nuance is embeded in it to allow advanced players to master. These are all things I've found to be superior with a controller for shooters.
You just don't have very good hand-eye coordination then. It's not really that hard to adapt to using a mouse. Add to that a mouse can allow you to shoot at specific body-parts instead of madly hoping to hit the enemy at all, and the mouse is totally superior. My first time playing an FPS game on the PC was back in 97' when I was some 6 years old. I could accurately fire even then and found it very intuitive. And when I first tried to play the same thing on a console, well I couldn't stand it. It's a god-awful method of aiming. What gamepads are meant for is the adventure, racing and fighting games that the consoles most often had back in the 90s. They clearly weren't designed for an FPS.

Digressing from FPS type games, the future of fligh sim games...

The people nowadays want something immerssive, that, or that phenomonon is starting to show, with Star Wars Galaxies, and WoW membership tallies. Aside from Wing Commanders' story line, what other shooter had a really really in-depth story line that the character/player changed? What game has/had awesome gameplay? Not really anyone can match up to speed of what WC dished out.

Its my opinion that people are going to get bored with mafioso games (GTA, Scarface), and it will be only a matter of time before SciFi sims come back into vogue.

You just don't have very good hand-eye coordination then. It's not really that hard to adapt to using a mouse.

You must not have very good reading comprehension then. As I said in my post, I've played FPS games with a mouse for almost as long as you've been alive. I "adapted to" using a controller, and that's what I prefer today. If anything, being able to get by with such supposedly inaccurate controls implies I have pretty good hand eye coordination.

Add to that a mouse can allow you to shoot at specific body-parts instead of madly hoping to hit the enemy at all

Wrong. I was targeting specific body parts with a controller fifteen minutes ago.

What gamepads are meant for is the adventure, racing and fighting games that the consoles most often had back in the 90s. They clearly weren't designed for an FPS.

Wrong. Controllers today are very different from the ones that were around in the early and mid nineties. Modern controllers *are* designed for FPS games. Since the days when adventure games and fighters were the predominant console genre, controllers have changed to incorporate real triggers and analog sticks for precise and simultaneous control of movement and aiming.

I appreciate someone trying to get things back on track, but this thread's been derailed. Start a new one if you want to discuss your ideas further wildcat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back