Aquiring a DOS machine for Privateer(?)

JeffB

Spaceman
Hi all - I'm an old WC fan, purchased and played Privateer / Righteous Fire a LONG time ago (soon after its release). As computers evolved, I gave away a lot of old stuff (~1998 or so) - not realizing at the time how much I would eventually miss them.

I bought a copy of the "Privateer" Gold Edition on eBay - according to UPS tracking it should arrive tomorrow. Apparantly this includes Privateer, Righteous Fire, the manual in .PDF format, and even (according to the vendor) a W95 shortcut (useless I believe for my machine).

I am using WinME; AMD 1.33 Ghz, Microsoft Precision Pro Joystick (USB - but I am using the adapter, it is plugged into the gameport on the soundcard - still, its digital, not analog...) - SoundBlaster Live! Value, GeForce 3.

I doubt if even this DosBOX application mentioned in another thread would allow me to run Privateer when DosBOX is fully developed (but correct me if I'm wrong...)

I've looked at listings on eBay for older legacy systems.

I'm thinking : P1/100, Dos 6.22 *only* (no Windows), SoundBlaster 16 (ISA), maybe 32 to 48Mb RAM, and some old VGA/SVGA technology. The eBay listings do not look that reliable.

Does anyone know of a reliable rebuilder (... that advertizes on the Internet) that can put together a legacy machine for running old DOS games (even perhaps that specializes in it?)? I might be able to approach Microsoft for a copy of DOS 6.22 - I'd have to check - but the hardware would be the first step.

- Thanks

=====

A long time ago there was a DOS game called "Frontier First Encounters" - same problems, won't run on a modern system. BUT a guy named John Jorden remastered / recompiled a Windows version that uses DirectX (!). In runs perfectly. The same thing NEEDS to be done for Privateer / Righteous Fire! Are there any programming gurus out there working on it?

- Thanks - JeffB

Originally posted by JeffB ...Does anyone know of a reliable rebuilder (... that advertizes on the Internet) that can put together a legacy machine for running old DOS games (even perhaps that specializes in it?)? I might be able to approach Microsoft for a copy of DOS 6.22 - I'd have to check - but the hardware would be the first step.

- Thanks - JeffB [/B]

Yo, Jeff: Where you livin', man?.... Unless yer really out in the boonies, you ought to be able to find a machine like you want locally, whether from a local secondhand PC store, ads in your local community paper, etc..

I just today returned a P-100 w/ 32 MB of RAM & Win 95 that I got for $15 from a local secondhand PC store: I ran into a friend in IT who offered me 2 machines for free that he wasn't interested in (they were 300-400 Mhz machines)

As to DOS, don't waste yer money on MS DOS 6.22. You can DL (legally & for free) from the web DR-DOS 7x, which should be more than adequate for your needs. Try here:

http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0225895/drdos/drdown.htm

(among others...), and click the appropriate links.
v7.02 is supposedly more stable than 7.03, so be aware...

Okay - Actually....

I called a small "Ma & Pa" computer place in my town today (Abilene, Texas - Preacher : YES, "in the boonies" (chuckle)).

Anyway - its absolutely no problem, the guy has EVERYTHING I need, including shrinkwrapped copies of DOS 6.22. He can put a DOS machine together for me for about $75 (relatively high, I know - the economy is down here and everyone is greedy and desperate - at any rate I can, and am willing to pay it). That includes a generic CDRom drive, an analog joystick, SoundBlaster16, SVGA Card, ... old mouse .. etc... and it will be tested and burned in in the store before he sells it to me.

Basically just one question - Which CPU is the best overall to use - Pentium 1 / 100 Mhz or Pentium 166? Bottom line : would a P166 be too *fast* for Privateer? If so will "moslo" work? If not SHOULD I *require* a P1/100 Mhz?

The guy says he CAN put in a P 100 Mhz, but he also says that he has a ton of P 166 Mhz in his inventory (I have the impression that he was tring to push the P 166's).

I looked at the four DOS games that I still have (including the copy of Privateer Gold Edition that I got off of eBay - just arrived a few hours ago): In order of priority, what I want to play the *most* to the *least* : Privateer, Tie Fighter (Collectors CDRom edition), Daggerfall, and Battlespire. The specs on the boxes ... the least demanding appears to be Privateer (386DX/33 minimum, 486/50 recommended) and the most demanding is Battlespire : P133 *minimum*, faster recommended. The other two games (Tie Fighter, Daggerfall) lean towards 486DX2/66. It *looks* like the best overall solution would be a P166. But NOT if Privateer would "suffer", and/or if "MOSLO" would not work with it. *Privateer* is what I most want to play, and Tie Fighter/Daggerfall. I can rule out Battlespire if necessary.

Need some advice folks - (and soon) - does anyone play Privateer on a P 166 Mhz machine? Would a P 166 require MoSlo to run privateer well? What is your experience with MoSlo and Privateer?

- Thanks - Jeff

Heyo,
Privateer has no speed issues -- my legacy machine is a Pentium 500 and Privateer works fine with no slowdown necessary. A P166 will be excellent for Privateer.

Re: Okay - Actually....

Originally posted by JeffB
...He can put a DOS machine together for me for about $75 (relatively high, I know - the economy is down here and everyone is greedy and desperate - at any rate I can, and am willing to pay it)...
- Thanks - Jeff
Well, obviously your PERSONAL economy can't be too "down", not if yer willin' to shell out $75 for an old DOS machine (I should be so lucky :( ) ... Power to ya, I guess.... As to the "which CPU" question, LOAF answered it pretty well. Enjoy yerself. Bon appetit'...

Thanks for advice, all.....

Preacher - actually I do have to watch my budget, I live on a fixed income: Retired military (22 years)... my field was Signals Intelligence. But even though I am 46, I don't work, but on the other hand I manage my finances very well... Very Good credit rating...

Shortly after I retired I had a major heart attack, THEN I developed lung problems as a side-effect of congestive heart failure. I like to think of it as a drastic allergic reaction to civilians.

Not ALL civilians of course. Just the ones that slash tires, egg cars, consider criminal behavior a "career opportunity"... etc, and like that. The ones that smoke dope come in a close second.

Originally posted by JeffB
Thanks for advice, all.....

Preacher - actually I do have to watch my budget, I live on a fixed income: Retired military (22 years)... my field was Signals Intelligence. But even though I am 46, I don't work, but on the other hand I manage my finances very well... Very Good credit rating...

Shortly after I retired I had a major heart attack, THEN I developed lung problems as a side-effect of congestive heart failure. I like to think of it as a drastic allergic reaction to civilians.

Not ALL civilians of course. Just the ones that slash tires, egg cars, consider criminal behavior a "career opportunity"... etc, and like that. The ones that smoke dope come in a close second.
Wow. Sorry to hear about all that. I've treated patients w/ those kinda conditions. They definitely (the conditions, that is) suck. Too bad you don't live here in the 'Cuse; I'd build you a box like that for nothing. Both my parents and my brother are ex-military, so I gotta lotta respect for GI's/vets. I salute your devotion to WC/Privateer and your budgeting prowess, sir
::schmacks self in forehead with hand, attempting to salute::
I hear you on the dopers/slackers angle - I got an ex-stepson like that. Maybe one day he'll grow up (sigh)...

Back