Anyone there already has family (spouse + kids)?

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
Hey guys... it's been a long while since I've been here.

I'm just curious about us wingnuts.
How many of us already have a family, meaning a spouse and children?

I myself just got married in July '08 and became a dad since Oct '09.

How did being married and having children affected our gaming hobby?

EDIT: Darned, I've noticed the typo on the Thread subject.

Married going on three years now, father since April '08.

It's certainly harder finding time to game now, we used to have a LAN party every Friday night and I cut back to not going at all for the first few months after my son was born, now I'm on an every other week schedule. Some of those dudes are married now (two got married when I did, and aren't around much anymore, and another one got married last week, and another one proposed this week) and it's really hard finding time when we can all get together.

For the most part my wife likes to sleep early and I like to go to sleep late, so I spend most of my time gaming after she goes to bed. She's a bit of a gamer too so she's understanding about it, and plays with me when we can (I'm better at Guild Wars but she kicks my ass at Fantasy Star Online).

My son is coming on two now and he's very into the games I play, though I don't let him play yet he certainly wants to. I've heard that the Lego Star Wars games (which I have yet to play) are a great way to bond with your kids through video games.

I'm a traveller, I travel on job to jobfrom place to place to place so I never settle down.

Married 10 years. Two kids, nine and five. The wife knew I was a gamer when she came over to the house and saw the computer room setup with the D&D library along one wall. Stereotypically, she plays puzzle games and side scrollers while I am into space and flight sims (Natch!) and RPGs. The kids like to be my co-pilot in Privateer.

To them, the funniest game moment ever was when I screamed like a little girl when a bear surprised me in a Wii hunting game. The final boss in that game was a man-eater lion.

While flying in Privateer, my youngest asked "Wouldn't it be funny if there was a lion in a spaceship?" Right then, I formally introduced them to the Kilrathi. :cool:

My wife doesn't mind that I play Wing Commander. Since I already own the games, there is no outlay of funds to play other than replacing my joystick every three years. No online subscriptions, no computer hardware upgrades. Just download the updates from the CIC and DosBox.

I married in April of 09 (got to know since early 07), and she already had three kids when we met. We just bought a house in Tulsa, OK. I still play WC (and showed the boys how to play), and things like that when it does not interfere with anything else. I make time to play after I have done things that need to be done, and it's usually a few missions here, a few there. However, gone are the days of 8 to 9 hour sessions of WarCraft 2.

I've been married 10+ and have two kids. Mostly I game once everone else goes to bed... unless it's somthing like burnout or need for speed, which I don't mind playing with the kids around.

Married for 4 years...she already had 2 kids when we got married and we have had 2 kids since we have gotten married. 2 boys and 2 girls. They keep us busy, and has severly cut into my gaming time, but I wouldn't change it for the world though. Best thing I ever did.

Ok, so here's what I want to know from those of you who've introduced your kids to the WC family of games: How do you stand it when your kids are standing behind you, watching you play, and they feel the need to orate what is happening in the game/tell you what your next best move is? I don't mind the occasional "What ship is that!?" or "What does 'ITTS Engaged' mean?" This is what I get the majority of the time:

"Oh man, your rear shields are gone and they're damaging your armor!"
I can see that, thank you.

"If you could just get around that stupid rear firing gun (that has been vexing me all mission)..."
Yes, if only!

"What, did you die?"
No, that screen that reads: "You have died" is actually the game winning screen!

"This is where you died last time."
I remember, trust me.

"Why doesn't that stupid Ferret have any missiles?"
Let me call my good buddy, Chris Roberts, on the phone and ask him.

There have been many times, and I feel bad about this, where I have told them to go away unless they can stand behind me QUIETLY and watch. I usually throw something in about having played the game since before they were born, and not needing any advice/wanting any observations of the obvious kind.

Or just normal kids.

Thank you. Yes, all children are annoying when they are young. These children we are talking about are boys aged 9 and 11, so no, they don't necessarily have the maturity level to realize that they are making a nuisance out of themselves by making the kind of comments I wrote in the above post. I posted because I was hoping to find some real advice, but I guess not, so thanks anyhow.

At least they take an interest in what you do. The criticism is normal: Boys need to find something that they can be better in than good ol' dad - so that they can shatter that illusions of omnipotence dads tend to build around them. Just admit to them that it's the best you can do, and that managing the difficulties and sometimes losing is part of the fun - it'll help them to grow up.

Man, this thread is so funny. I love it!

I love to make time for gaming, but my current postgraduate studies take much of my free time.

Be happy about it. They are interested in what their dad does and want to get involved. Dont hush them away, they sooner or later will get bored with what you do anyways. At least until then you can have some nice time with them playing your favorite game.

You make a good point, Z. I guess where my problems start is when I have played a vexing mission several times with no success, and am very frustrated. Have you ever had anyone trying to talk to you while you are trying to seriously concentrate on a mission where you've failed X amount of times, asking you inane questions or making remarks of the obvious kind?

I know they are just trying to share the experience, and all, I really do. Sometimes, though, it's just hard to remain patient with someone who won't shut up when you're trying to do something in the game that you've failed at more times than you want to count.

You make a good point, Z. I guess where my problems start is when I have played a vexing mission several times with no success, and am very frustrated. Have you ever had anyone trying to talk to you while you are trying to seriously concentrate on a mission where you've failed X amount of times, asking you inane questions or making remarks of the obvious kind?

I know they are just trying to share the experience, and all, I really do. Sometimes, though, it's just hard to remain patient with someone who won't shut up when you're trying to do something in the game that you've failed at more times than you want to count.

That sounds an awful lot like my original experiences with Wing Commander anyway. Back in the day, my cousins and I would be sitting around taking turns trying each mission until someone finally beat the mission and the story progressed. There was always a lot of back-seat-flying... and pressure to let someone else give it a shot when you weren't dead yet but they figured you weren't doing something right.

I experienced it with my nephew and little cousins a few times. But honestly, if you play a game and kids are with you, the success in the game is secondary. They will very much apreciate it though if you involve them. Let them control the shield controls, let them be your copilot.

If you want to do a hardcore gaming session, do it when they are asleep. At least thats what I plan to do when I get around to daddyhood.

If you want to do a hardcore gaming session, do it when they are asleep. At least thats what I plan to do when I get around to daddyhood.

That really is the best time, IMHO.

That sounds an awful lot like my original experiences with Wing Commander anyway. Back in the day, my cousins and I would be sitting around taking turns trying each mission until someone finally beat the mission and the story progressed. There was always a lot of back-seat-flying... and pressure to let someone else give it a shot when you weren't dead yet but they figured you weren't doing something right.

This reminds me of my early days with WC, too. My friend and I used to have sleep overs when my dad was out of town on business, and we'd stay up LATE nights playing. Lots of times, one of us would say: "Ok, hotshot. Let's see YOU beat it, then." :D

Back