anyone recognize this game?

bugontherug

Spaceman
I played a PC game in the early to mid 2000s, though I think the game was a little old at the time I played it. I cannot remember its name.

But it was like unto a Wing Commander game, if it was not in fact one. I can't remember a lot of details. I've looked at screen shots from the various Wing Commander games, and none of them match my memory. Here's a few things I recall:

1) I'm pretty sure your character lived on a space aircraft carrier similar to the Tiger's Claw. You got promotions and medals and stuff like in the Wing Commander games.

2) I think the game took place mostly or entirely in the Solar system. I think it was about a war between human nations that took place in space.

3) It may have been a Wing Commander prequel, or otherwise set in the same universe as Wing Commander at an earlier date.

4) When your character ejected, he was sometimes captured by the enemy. When that happened, you got a game over cut scene from your character's first person viewpoint as he awoke in an enemy torture chamber, looking around at torture implements arrayed around him. It was a pretty effective scene in terms of the creepy factor.

I know this is pretty vague. But if this sounds like a game anyone recognizes, please let me know. I'd kind of like to play it again if I can find it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The game you're looking for is Starlancer. Came out in 2000 I think.
Okay, follow up question.

Starlancer was indeed the game I was looking for. But so far as I can tell it isn't legally available online. After reading about it, I'm afraid it might not have aged well anyway.

SO I'm in the mood to play a space combat game in the Wing Commander/Starlancer tradition. While the quality of gameplay is important, I'm also interested in story and that vague RPG sense that some of these games give you. I really liked the old Elite game (the oooolllllld Elite game--I haven't played any more recent Elite games) because of its open universe freelancing style--though I remember feeling that Freelancer failed to equal Elite somehow.

Given these admittedly vague parameters, are there any more recent titles I should look at? What about Freelancer mods? Which of those are most worthwhile?

I take it you've played Privateer / Privateer 2?

The entire WC series is available at GOG.com, so you can relive any of those. For a single player campaign, Freespace 2 is apparently highly recommended. Darkstar One is fairly recent but I have heard mixed reviews. Then there is of course the excellent Wing Commander Saga fan mod.

If a modern Elite is your speed, Elite: Dangerous was released recently.

Oh, and in case you been living under a rock, you may want to check out Star Citizen...

I take it you've played Privateer / Privateer 2?

The entire WC series is available at GOG.com, so you can relive any of those. For a single player campaign, Freespace 2 is apparently highly recommended. Darkstar One is fairly recent but I have heard mixed reviews. Then there is of course the excellent Wing Commander Saga fan mod.

If a modern Elite is your speed, Elite: Dangerous was released recently.

Oh, and in case you been living under a rock, you may want to check out Star Citizen...

I unfortunately never got to play the Privateer games. I had a powerful enough PC to play Wing Commander II. Then I moved out to go to college and had to make do with a weaker PC for a few years. Finally was able to get back into PC gaming around 2002. I've read mixed reviews about Elite: Dangerous. I want to wait awhile to see if it gets better.

I've obviously heard of Star Citizen, but is it fun to play yet?

I'll check out your recommendations.

You have to play the original Privateer, graphics be damned.

It's early days yet for Star Citizen, but this promises to be a big year. Before 2015 is out, we should see the first chapter of Squadron 42, the 21st century incarnation of Wing Commander.

The Arena Commander module exceeds any space sim I've ever played in terms of flight dynamics. It's actually much more difficult enjoying the older games as a result.

Star Citizen is fun but like whiplash said, it's still early. The WC style story campaign's first chapter isn't due until late in the year. Right now it's basically a dogfighting arena style shooter (with a racing mode thrown it). The combat gameplay is shaping up nicely with every new patch but it's far from a full game just yet. It's still fun though if you just want to scratch that combat itch. But for story you will have to wait a while.

Back