Anyone not like the books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO. In the WCU the canon is established by OSI-EA. It is that simple. All other debates must be grounded on this paradigm. I want to know if OSI declared the movie canon, because it was not made by them nor supervised. That's th only way of ascertaining if it's canon or apocryphal.

;) correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the movie carrier have the name "Tiger claw" there was no possessive "s" on the end of the word Tiger. THAT'S THE PROBLEM! This is an entirely different ship!

Colonel Sanders said:
;) correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the movie carrier have the name "Tiger claw" there was no possessive "s" on the end of the word Tiger. THAT'S THE PROBLEM! This is an entirely different ship!

I can live with that...

UH! to nthink that it was supposed to be the Tiger's Claw... BLASPHOMY!!!!

Goes to my point about insufficient research if that's true.

Dynamix, good point. Also, how important is it to you that we do the proper capitalization of your name?

Edfilho said:
NO. In the WCU the canon is established by OSI-EA. It is that simple. All other debates must be grounded on this paradigm. I want to know if OSI declared the movie canon, because it was not made by them nor supervised. That's th only way of ascertaining if it's canon or apocryphal.

You missed my point entirely.

This makes me wonder about why LOAF and the others even deigned to continue argueing with this poster?

I guess the sad truth is that ultimately I'm still enjoying myself. :) I'll be the first to admit that there's probably no convincing sea_monkey that I'm right... but it's the process itself that accomplishes something. It's a great way to stay 'current' - in a few years we'll have a new round of more important (heh) topics to yell about. Plus, as everyone points out their small references, you do learn something new that changes your overall view of the universe (if only slightly).

(I'm pretty sure I'm right here - but I'm big enough to admit I've been wrong before... and arguing things like this with people like Chris or the Brazilians has helped put together minor references into major points - when WCIV takes place, how the cloaking device was developed and so forth. We're so sure a lot of the current Wing Commander dogma specifically because it's been shaped in fire in agwc and here over the years.)

And hey, like all good debates, the true measure of success is which of us everyone else thinks is right.

I'm done doing the line-by-line thing. #1, there was about 10 posts since I logged off, in addition to what I hadn't already covered. Not a big deal since no one of them by itself wasn't the logical equivalent of a piece of Swiss cheese, but it makes it impossible to respond to all of them at once.

So... the basic message here is that you couldn't respond to the Privateer quote?

1) Books are too carrier-centric, Forstchen over-emphasizes the importance of carriers in the WCU, thinking it's like WWII. It's not, because cruisers and destroyers can carry fighters (and bombers), which means some of the roles that only the carrier could play in WWII, can now be played by other ships.

Carriers in WWII could do A,B,C,D. Cruisers could do E,F,G. Now, in WC, cruisers can do C,D,E,F,G. The relative importance of carriers is reduced when compared with WWII because the cruiser can take on some of its role. The fact that carriers are still the only ship that can do A & B makes no difference whatsoever -- they were the only ship that could do that in WWII also. Not arguable!

Today's lesson: ending an inane claim with "not arguable" does, in fact, *not* prove your point. No question!;)

As long as a carrier can do A & B, it is the most important piece of hardware in the fleet - regardless of whether cruisers can defend themselves with interceptors or launch scout planes (both of which cruisers can do today - the Navy is in no hurry to scrap the Nimitz-class ships...).

2) Kilrathi seemed to use Fralthra more than carriers (100-fighter dedicated carriers) in the games, not so in the books.

Response: The whole defense rests on the idea that "carrier" couldn't refer to a Fralthra -- even when it makes the most sense that it does. Arguable, but argued very poorly. The argument came down to insisting that the Kilrathi decide to attack Ghorah Khar if you eject 20,000 klicks from the Concordia after beating 2E, but retreat if you land -- how they can even know (and yet someone don't know if you were recovered by Search&Rescue) is beyond me.

This argument is counter to your claim - if carriers are special, we should not be able to blow them up at every turn.

(Presumably the logic behind the 'eject' scenario - sorry, "glitch" - is that the Kilrathi know they've beaten up Olympus' fighter force... they can now press the attack without worrying about more strike craft.)

3) Kilrathi seem to outnumber Confed significantly in the games.

Response: There could be some 100,000 fighter force we never see or hear about. Certainly arguable, but the evidence came down to pointing out how many fighters certain bases COULD hold, and then pointing out that many systems had fighters stationed there -- ignoring that in all cases except two (Earth & McAuliffe) the number cited is MUCH lower than what would be expected if there was 100,000 fighters sitting around. Last, this force never makes an appearance in the books or games.

It would be one thing if the WC universe had been particularly well planned out from the beginning and made perfect sense on it it's own, but it really doesn't. Some of the things YOU guys pointed out in this thread did a far better job to illustrate this than I could. You guys might as well be coming up with ways the Klingons grew mountains on their heads all of a sudden.

Your response does not make sense given the claim - because the Kilrathi would have an equal force of fighters. The existence of a fighter defense force (ably proven by yours truly, I think there are some posts about it a few pages back) does not say anything about comparable sizes.

The context of Wing Commander only occurs in separate, individual imaginations. You're arguing that the hundreds of thousands of people who played a WC game but didn't read the books have "untrue" views of WC. As if one version of make-believe can be more "true" than another.
You can certainly argue that yours is the "official" view according to the author, but this presupposes that the hundreds of thousands of people you're talking about really give a crap about the "official" line. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest they don't.

I know everyone else has already said this, but I can't really help myself - what, then, are you arguing?

Honestly, let's end this topic and rant about something else, like why, every time I play WC 3 or 4, they always have to show at least one cut scene of Maniac sniffing his 'pits? He never does that in 1 or 2, does he?

People in the first two games don't have arms.

Were would the pilgrim conflicts fit into this picture? They surely happened just before the K-War, didn't they?

Roughly the same time (2633-2635). The important thing is, though, that it's incredibly minor compared to the enormity of the Kilrathi War. The Pilgrim War boils down to being a series of minor terrorist attacks on Confederation targets followed by naval blockades in a dozen systems.

LOAF is the Main Man

WOO!

for this question.

Aww.

Are the "Pilgrims" Robert's idea, was it something he was toying with while working on the games, or was it per a suggestion from the suits at Fox?

Certainly not the latter. It's very easy to blame nameless persons for unpopular decisions, but there's rarely a scenario when such a thing makes sense. The 'Pilgrim' concept was in the original draft of the Wing Commander screenplay, credited to Kevin Droney. They're called "Border Worlders" in that version, though everything else is the same (magic jump power and so forth). They're renamed 'Pilgrims' in the rewrite (credited to Chris Roberts). (It's a logical creation, however hated in retrospect - Blair needed a background and a reason for conflict... neither of which he had in the original game's story. He was just the unnamed PlayerCharacter who occasionally nodded.)

Why is everything so different, then? If that move is canon, the design of every ship, including a major fleet vessel (TCS Tiger's Claw), is very different, outside the bounds of known Confed architecture. The Rapiers have problems as well, as they are new fighters, and the movie Rapiers are of a very different design. They also seem to be older. Even with Prophecy you can see traces of the older architechture.

I'm not sure architecture is the word you're looking for... but it's not really much of a case - the Tiger's Claw has already been redesigned half a dozen times over (heck, it has three contradictory configurations in the original game itself!). Super Wing Commander redid all the ships and no one cried wolf... and the Academy TV show got praised for using a ship that looked like a cross between the original Claw Marks sketch and a toy boat.

(The Rapier is a different story. The Rapier seen in the games is the F-44 Rapier II... the fighter in the movie is an older and completely distinct ship (CF-117 Rapier). Remember that the movie takes place roughly half a year before the introduction of the Rapier II in Gimle...).

Angel is not the Wing Commander aboard the Tiger's Claw, Halcyon is. That's possibly a different usage of the term, so let's discard that particular fact, shall we? Angel is also a Space Forces Captain, not a Naval Lt. Commander, which is not only a different service, it's also a grade ahead of her rank in WC1. Paladin is still a pilot onboard the Tiger's Claw and will be until shortly before her destruction just after the end of SM2.

Angel is a squadron commander - Halcyon is still Wing Commander/CAG/whatever (per the novel). All of the movie ranks are two grades ahead, presumably to make up for the fact that Ensigns don't fly fighters in Wing Commander (Action Stations not withstanding).

It's another interpratation of the same universe, I agree. But with the differences involved, it's hard to reconcile them into the same sequence of events. It seems to me to be more like the relation between main-line Star Trek and Star Fleet Battles: same source material, different interpratations.

There was a time, of course, when Star Fleet Battles *was* the Star Trek universe. :)

wheres LOAF when you need him?lol

I was in Valatie, NY.

Out of curiosity, did Origin execs ever specifically state that the movie is canon?

Yes, but of course the ultimate test is yet to come - whether or not it's truly referenced in future products. Since EA has stated that they will only develop a new Wing Commander game with Chris Roberts himself at the helm, it seems like an eventuality that the movie will be treated in this manner. (Ultimately, the movie will fade from memory as there are new things to complain about - just as Privateer 2, the TV show, the novels and the FMV games have come to be accepted by pretty much everyone over the years.)

All the ships in the movie are re-used from StarLancer (where all the ships are supposedly by his own design - at least that's what I've heard).

I believe you may have been misinformed. The Wing Commander movie was done before StarLancer - it was StarLancer that reused some of the movies in-house renderings (the ones done at DA). (Chris Roberts also had very little to do with SL... it was his brothers project. He was, of course, working on the movie.)

You know, LOAF, after reading this long post of yours, I have a serious thing to argue with you. People did have arms in WC1!!!!oneoneone Although the arms didn't show up dudring the actual dialogues, you could see them plainly when you were looking at the bar. Angel was writing something down, Spirit was playing an instrument, Iceman was polishing his pistol and so on. See! I proved you wrong! they had arms indeed! Many exclamation points! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

So... The movie and movie novels are actually canon as stated by OSI/EA? mrumph. Grumble. Snort.

Another thing concerning carriers:
It is probably cost effective to make a carrier a flying spaceport than fitting it with the heavy powerplants necessary to power heavier guns and shields... And when Confed needed to cut costs after the war by creating single ship fleets, they decided to focus on the Carrier aspect, instead of the Cruiser... Hence the Midway. Note that they then decided to try on the opposite idea, by developing the Cerberus.

we have to consider that confed is actually not that carrier-centric, as Monkey insists. He missed the fact that the concordia is NOT a carrier, but a Dreadnaught, a mix between a CV and a Battleship. Needless to say that confed lost a huge amount of money whenever one of those was downed.

One thing is clear, when you have just enough light fighters to protect the "normal" cruisers (talahesses, Plunketts), you can't spare any of those to perform strikes.

Why cant' moneky undertand this?

Eh, read the movie novel outside the context of the movie itself - fits perfectly and references WC1 and 2 (and other related backstory) throughout...

What about the arms, Huh? YOU DIDN'T ADDRESS THE ARMS ISSUE!!! :D
Seriously, though, I'd like to know if they talk about non-movie stuff in the Confed Handbook. I didn't buy back then (when the dollar was cheap) because of its movie affiliation.

They don't. The handbook has some clever references to WCA TV and a few other 'familiar' sources, but it's by and large entirely new concepts (history of the Pilgrims, 'early war' Kilrathi stuff, new details about the Iason Incident, etc.).

Not to sweat LOAF; you still be the Main Man with the plan! If they had to create a real ICIS, your knowledge would be the blueprints for it.

Haha ... I actually played Ghorah Khar 2E again just to see what would happen if I ejected right next to the Concordia after beating the mission ... then I ejected another time to confirm.

It IS plainly a glitch, evidence by the fact that it is FIXED in the Kilrathi Saga. If you eject after you beat the mission you just DIE for no reason -- you are not allowed to go on the losing path.

I mean, it was pretty embarrassing to be insisting it wasn't a glitch when it just made no frickin' sense, but now that it doesn't even exist in the remade version of the game -- well now it's definitely time to eat some crow.

And if you can't come up with the time to formulate 10 arguments, how the hell has this thread gone on for 5 pages?

Because Viper, what I've written on the thread thus far was accumulated over a series of weeks, as opposed to hours. There's quite a difference between responding to 10 posts a day and responding to 2 a day. But I think that's fairly obvious and actually brings up reason why not to respond to everything: it's a waste of my time because most posters are not even bothering to think things through.

SM: I'm done doing the line-by-line thing. #1, there was about 10 posts since I logged off, in addition to what I hadn't already covered. Not a big deal since no one of them by itself wasn't the logical equivalent of a piece of Swiss cheese, but it makes it impossible to respond to all of them at once.

L: So... the basic message here is that you couldn't respond to the Privateer quote?

That might be a valid assumption were it not for the point I raised above ... and the fact that I already responded to said quote twice.

You claimed there was 100,000 fighter force (in order to support another argument), which is never seen or directly referenced in the games or the books. Your "evidence" for this argument was pointing out *2* planets (Earth & McAuliffe) that had a defense force that might be consistent with such a force, and a bunch that were nowhere close -- including Kilrah -- some only having a handful of fighters.

Nor does the quote directly reference said fighter force. The fact that the bartender said it indicates only that he said it. Possible scenarios:

* There is, in fact, tens if not hundreds of thousands of fighters in Confed, being produced at hundreds per day.

* Hundreds of fighters ARE currently being destroyed a day, but this is a new development in 2669 as the war is becoming bloodier and casualties are increasing.

* Hundreds of fighters ARE currently being destroyed a day, but this is a new development in 2669 as Confed is losing the war.

* The bartender is full of crap, probably drinking a bit too much of his own whiskey, and really is no position to know what Confed casualties are like anyhow.

Saying this quote is proof of a 100,000 fighter force is like saying the fact that only 2 fighters scramble from Caernervon is evidence the pilots on the space station were busy fighting an infestation of face-eating monkeys.

SM: Carriers in WWII could do A,B,C,D. Cruisers could do E,F,G. Now, in WC, cruisers can do C,D,E,F,G. The relative importance of carriers is reduced when compared with WWII because the cruiser can take on some of its role. The fact that carriers are still the only ship that can do A & B makes no difference whatsoever -- they were the only ship that could do that in WWII also. Not arguable!

L: Today's lesson: ending an inane claim with "not arguable" does, in fact, *not* prove your point. No question!

As long as a carrier can do A & B, it is the most important piece of hardware in the fleet - regardless of whether cruisers can defend themselves with interceptors or launch scout planes (both of which cruisers can do today - the Navy is in no hurry to scrap the Nimitz-class ships...).

Perhaps ... but whether or not a carrier is the most important piece of hardware in the fleet is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to my point, and that's plainly obvious if you actually read what I said. The carrier was the most important piece of hardware in WWII by a long shot as well, so saying it is also in the WCU does not contradict my point one bit.

What makes my point inarguable is that it's based on pretty basic set theory and common sense: if previously, the carrier was the only ship that could do A,B,C,D, and now other ships can do C and D, the carrier is LESS important -- NOT "unimportant."

And hey, like all good debates, the true measure of success is which of us everyone else thinks is right.

Depends on your definition of success. If you bring up a contrarian view point in communities of various cults and religions or political idealogies, by your own measure you'll "fail" miserably as the community gangs up on you. If you were arguing in 1999 that tech stocks and the Nasdaq were a massive bubble, you were an idiot at the time.

sea_monkey said:
Because Viper, what I've written on the thread thus far was accumulated over a series of weeks, as opposed to hours. There's quite a difference between responding to 10 posts a day and responding to 2 a day. But I think that's fairly obvious and actually brings up reason why not to respond to everything: it's a waste of my time because most posters are not even bothering to think things through.
Short memory . .. going back 1 page I see you respond to 19 comments in one sitting. I'm sorry you seem to have lost this ability. If your going to be a smartass, make sure you have the room to be a smartass.

C-ya

sea_monkey said:
Haha ... I actually played Ghorah Khar 2E again just to see what would happen if I ejected right next to the Concordia after beating the mission ... then I ejected another time to confirm.

It IS plainly a glitch, evidence by the fact that it is FIXED in the Kilrathi Saga. If you eject after you beat the mission you just DIE for no reason -- you are not allowed to go on the losing path.

I mean, it was pretty embarrassing to be insisting it wasn't a glitch when it just made no frickin' sense, but now that it doesn't even exist in the remade version of the game -- well now it's definitely time to eat some crow.

That might be a valid assumption were it not for the point I raised above ... and the fact that I already responded to said quote twice.

You claimed there was 100,000 fighter force (in order to support another argument), which is never seen or directly referenced in the games or the books. Your "evidence" for this argument was pointing out *2* planets (Earth & McAuliffe) that had a defense force that might be consistent with such a force, and a bunch that were nowhere close -- including Kilrah -- some only having a handful of fighters.

Nor does the quote directly reference said fighter force. The fact that the bartender said it indicates only that he said it. Possible scenarios:

* There is, in fact, tens if not hundreds of thousands of fighters in Confed, being produced at hundreds per day.

* Hundreds of fighters ARE currently being destroyed a day, but this is a new development in 2669 as the war is becoming bloodier and casualties are increasing.

* Hundreds of fighters ARE currently being destroyed a day, but this is a new development in 2669 as Confed is losing the war.

* The bartender is full of crap, probably drinking a bit too much of his own whiskey, and really is no position to know what Confed casualties are like anyhow.

Saying this quote is proof of a 100,000 fighter force is like saying the fact that only 2 fighters scramble from Caernervon is evidence the pilots on the space station were busy fighting an infestation of face-eating monkeys.

Perhaps ... but whether or not a carrier is the most important piece of hardware in the fleet is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to my point, and that's plainly obvious if you actually read what I said. The carrier was the most important piece of hardware in WWII by a long shot as well, so saying it is also in the WCU does not contradict my point one bit.

What makes my point inarguable is that it's based on pretty basic set theory and common sense: if previously, the carrier was the only ship that could do A,B,C,D, and now other ships can do C and D, the carrier is LESS important -- NOT "unimportant."

Depends on your definition of success. If you bring up a contrarian view point in communities of various cults and religions or political idealogies, by your own measure you'll "fail" miserably as the community gangs up on you. If you were arguing in 1999 that tech stocks and the Nasdaq were a massive bubble, you were an idiot at the time.

And once again you ignore more then half of the posts that were posted to answer your questions.

ok, lessee... I hope you'll excuse me for cutting down the quotes, i'm not ignoring what I deleted i'm just qouting to show what i'm talking about.
sea_monkey said:
Back to the beginning, shall we:

1) Books are too carrier-centric,

Carriers in WWII could do A,B,C,D. Cruisers could do E,F,G. Now, in WC, cruisers can do C,D,E,F,G. The relative importance of carriers is reduced when compared with WWII because the cruiser can take on some of its role. The fact that carriers are still the only ship that can do A & B makes no difference whatsoever -- they were the only ship that could do that in WWII also. Not arguable!
I can't agree with you there, cruisers and and destroyes have fighters mainly for defensive reasons. in contrast to WWII(or just after) where a destroyer facing a small bomber wing had good anti-air guns for protection and thus a chance of survivng, in WC such a destoyer even in the books might go down without even inflicting a casualty if it doesn't have fighter escort. so, even if other capships can for example preform recon tasks ignoring thier own sfatey, and thus taking a role that would usually be a carrier's. it'll only balance the fact that otherwise the carriers in WC are much stronger than the ones in WWII.

on the other hand, in case i'm still wrong let's take a look at this from your point of view. you conceeded IIRC that carriers even if much diminished in importance are still the strongest ships in the fleet.
I think that alone gives a perfectably good reason for the books to be as carrier-centric as they are. since in the books there's more talk of major engagments with battlegroups and the like, a simple - "they have # carriers" gives a good idea of how much cruisers,destroyers,etc.. "they" have.

sea_monkey said:
2) Kilrathi seemed to use Fralthra more than carriers (100-fighter dedicated carriers) in the games, not so in the books.
Response: The whole defense rests on the idea that "carrier" couldn't refer to a Fralthra
actually, I didn't follow this discussion. but it seems to me that the fact that Fralthra Aren't carriers is a rather solid argument that they aren't in fact carriers.
(I might be wrong though)

sea_monkey said:
3) Kilrathi seem to outnumber Confed significantly in the games.

and the 100,000 fighter force we never see or hear about.
one must remember that things like numeric supriority and kill ratios aren't constants, they change with the tide of war...
also it's not very true that losing ~1000 fighters didn't leave a dent on the kilrathi empire, it caused them to loose on of the most imprtant sectors in the war.
in the catastrophic battles of WWI half of the time neither gained much footing at all.

there seem to be somewhere about 38 jumps into confed territory (I didn't actually count them all) with all the skirmishs and transport raids that go on, reaching 100 fighters down a day without any major engagemnt isn't that unlikely

the other explantion of how the war is still going on with such casualties would be mass production of fighter's, and with confed as big as it is and fighter's being the main weapon in the WC universe it seems rather reasnoble to me

last but not least I'd like to comment about the hakaga being a super weapon -
concidering that the kilrathi had only ~14 carriers at the end of end run for example, anything that is even comperable with 7-8 Fralthra is a super weapon even if the 7-8 Fralthra were better

Short memory . .. going back 1 page I see you respond to 19 comments in one sitting. I'm sorry you seem to have lost this ability. If your going to be a smartass, make sure you have the room to be a smartass.

I may have responded to that many *comments*, but that was only in reply to 3 posts. And I didn't cover every single issue. And it took me forever. So it's not really reasonable to expect me to respond to 10 posts (in a day), or "don't get in a debate." But again, that's rather obvious.

HammerHead, as far as I can tell your argument is basically the same as Loaf's. Carriers are still the only ship that can do A & B, so they are still the most important. I never argued that they weren't however, so I don't see your point.

in contrast to WWII(or just after) where a destroyer facing a small bomber wing had good anti-air guns for protection and thus a chance of survivng, in WC such a destoyer even in the books might go down without even inflicting a casualty if it doesn't have fighter escort.

Seems about the same to me actually. At least in the games, a destroyer will take a fighter or two with it. In WC3, the Fralthi eats up AI pilots.

on the other hand, in case i'm still wrong let's take a look at this from your point of view. you conceeded IIRC that carriers even if much diminished in importance are still the strongest ships in the fleet.

I wouldn't say conceded, since I never argued that carriers weren't important in the first place.

there seem to be somewhere about 38 jumps into confed territory (I didn't actually count them all) with all the skirmishs and transport raids that go on, reaching 100 fighters down a day without any major engagemnt isn't that unlikely

Yes, but the two sides only fight if one side thinks they can win, or one side gets surprised. You don't just throw ships randomly through every jump point until you win. So there's not going to be constant fighting at every point.

I actually subscribe to the view that space in WC is sparsely populated by ships. Neither navy is big enough to choke off all 38 (or whatever) jump points, which is why both sides routinely have forces behind enemy lines without the other side knowing (Ariel, Loki, Freja, Niven, Novaya Kiev, Enigma, K'Thithrak Mang). It also explains why the Tiger's Claw was pulled from Vega to Goddard in SM1, and how a planet like Locanda would routinely end up being raided.

last but not least I'd like to comment about the hakaga being a super weapon -
concidering that the kilrathi had only ~14 carriers at the end of end run for example, anything that is even comperable with 7-8 Fralthra is a super weapon even if the 7-8 Fralthra were better

Yeah but how many Fralthra or standard carriers for that matter could you have made with the material it took to make a Hakaga? I swear I remember them saying it took a lot of resources.

Woohoo...

Having mostly recovered from the weekend, it's time to get back to it:
sea_monkey said:
I may have responded to that many *comments*, but that was only in reply to 3 posts. And I didn't cover every single issue. And it took me forever.
Feel free to pick and choose the arguments to which you reply, but don't get all self-righteous on us when we point out you missed one. Anyway, there's no reason it should be very difficult for you to reply, since you have all the answers, right?

Or maybe you don't, and you work hard "inventing rationalizations" to counter what comes so easily to us?

I'm just throwing that out there...
Carriers are still the only ship that can do A & B, so they are still the most important. I never argued that they weren't however, so I don't see your point.
You continue to avoid either confronting or accepting the fact that I've proven that it's logically impossible for cruisers and destroyers to diminish, in any way, the importance of aircraft carriers in Wing Commander. I will repeat it, so you don't have to go look for it:

The importance of carriers, in Wing Commander, is a function of their ability to transport, launch and support heavy strike craft. Not dogfighters, but capship- and base-killing craft. Other warships certainly do field light interceptors for the purposes of self-defense and the defense of any ships they escort, but carriers are the offensive arm.

Now, it's been demonstrated that a traditional cruiser can, under certain circumstances, be used to transport small numbers of heavy strikers in a limited capacity (i.e. test bed,) but that's the exception, and not the rule, or there would be more than one example.

What does this mean? You would have it that the role of a gunfighter cruiser and an aircraft carrier will overlap in some fashion that diminishes, however slightly, the importance of the carrier in war. This is a fallacy, however, as the measurement of a carrier's importance is its offensive capability, which it derives from the certain kinds of fighters it can carry that a traditional cruiser can not. While overlap occurs in the area of fielding interceptors, this is not the metric by which we gauge the importance of either.

Even beyond all that, you still have to wonder why, if cruisers could ever perform the same type of job, in any capacity, as a carrier, would Confed ever build a carrier, when they have thousands of the other ships? The increased expense and difficulty associated with producing a carrier would discourage Confed from ever commissioning one if they could just send a handful of their nearly unlimited cruiser supply to perform the same job.

Your argument would have more clout if you claimed that the cruisers, which vastly outnumber the carriers, lessened the carriers' importance by way of their capability to use their own heavy guns and missiles to strike and destroy the same targets that carriers use bombers for, but even then you'd have to contend with the fact that the offensive range of a carrier far exceeds any battlewagon. The cruisers and destroyers are far better suited, suited only, in fact, for close-range ship-to-ship combat, for the purposes of protecting a carrier from aggressive ships of their own type.

Bottom Line: Your argument is illogical because it relies on certain things (cruisers possessing a strike capability of an identical and overlapping nature with that of carriers) being true when they are not.
So there's not going to be constant fighting at every point.
But there will be constant fighting across all points which constitute the front. Any contested systems will see a constant stream of engagements until somebody wins, and then the battles merely shift to a new system. You don't simply abandon ground and expect that the enemy won't attack you from there next.
Yeah but how many Fralthra or standard carriers for that matter could you have made with the material it took to make a Hakaga? I swear I remember them saying it took a lot of resources.
Whether a Hakaga is worth X number of Fralthras is a non-issue.

A constantly recurring theme in Wing Commander is the supercarrier. The advantages are in increased mobility and reduced logistical drain, not in cost reduction, though that certainly would become an advantage as tooling and assembly lines were paid off.

How come I haven't heard you claim that the Midway is a joke because a handful of cheaper (already-paid-for, even) Rangers can carry the same number of fighters? Because that's a stupid assertion; everybody knows which is the best way to make a mess.

You're very smug and self-assured, surrounded, as you are, by your dime-store illogic and paper tigers (oh noes - it's a glitch,) but you're not fooling anyone. Whenever one of your rickety arguments is shot out of the sky with facts and logic, you resort to the cheapest demagoguery (all who disagree belong to a cult) and then reset and start again. Protip: repeating the same exhausted, debunked arguments many times does not magically make them right.

So let's see some real heart and soul here. If you're so correct, you've got to have some genuinely sound reasoning hidden up your sleeves. Break it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back