Anyone not like the books?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, Monkey shows that he has no idea of what "subjective" means. But I can assure you all that it has nothing to do with what his saying.

I'm going to wait until after the Hyphen Wedding and then start yelling again. Viper can beat up the dumb people while I'm away.

Edfilho said:
I have a doubt: What is Origin's position concerning the Movie and the Movies books? Are those considered canon by OSI/EA or not? All the references to canon I recall are related to the non-movie books and materials. I'm not directly saying there are officially apocryphal, but are they activelly INCLUDED in the canon?
for instance, in AS it is made clear that Confed has been in a state of peace for the last few centuries. Not just in the sense that they were in no officially declared war with an enemy state, but in the sense that they just didn't fight anyone else for hundreds of years. The weasel senator JAmison keeps pointing that the military hardware was just expensive toys for the military boys to play around, with no enemy to fight. Confed is in a dire state of unreadiness because there was no real threat...

The only thing the mention was the terrorists that the teacher/commando guy fought along with richards. But those a certainly not the pilgrims.

Were would the pilgrim conflicts fit into this picture? They surely happened just before the K-War, didn't they?

LOAF is the Main Man for this question. Are the "Pilgrims" Robert's idea, was it something he was toying with while working on the games, or was it per a suggestion from the suits at Fox?

Frosty, take a pill. The last half of the fifth page of this thread has started to become somewhat civilised. Pipe down, or we'll settle this Flash-style. Of course, Cpt. Eisen's going to give me grief when he hears about this.....

EISEN
"As a rule, I’m not too big on these needless displays
of macho crap. You’re taking a big risk morale
wise.

And, if you lose you won’t be too popular around
here. So I’m gonna give you a word of advice,
Colonel.
(pause)
Kick the little twerp’s ass."

I would love to read the books, i dont think you can buy them here in Norway. :rolleyes:
Can someone give me a link to buy them from. If they still sell them, that is.

Frosty said:
I'm going to wait until after the Hyphen Wedding and then start yelling again. Viper can beat up the dumb people while I'm away.
Beat downs will have to wait till Sunday as I will be gone too.

The Hyphen Wedding is ace's happy day! Congrats in advance.

Seems alot of wingnuts/CZers are taking the plunge lately. I haven't seen any sign of Ghost since his big day, though :(

C-ya

Dyret said:
I would love to read the books, i dont think you can buy them here in Norway. :rolleyes:
Can someone give me a link to buy them from. If they still sell them, that is.

I sent an email to the following dealer:

Studia AS

Villaveien 10
Bergen
N-5007

Tel: +47 5554 5000
Fax: +47 5554 5240
Email: studia@sib.uib.no

I'll let you know if I hear from them and if they have any WC books in stock.

~

This thread is awfully long :(

I like all the WC books that i had the pleasure to read.

WCM, End Run, Fleet Actions, WC3N and all the game's manuals.
All of them are canon.

So are Freedom Flight, False Colors, Action Stations, and the WC4 novelization.

The Movie is not canon, to the best of my knowledge.

Moonsword said:
So are Freedom Flight, False Colors, Action Stations, and the WC4 novelization.

The Movie is not canon, to the best of my knowledge.

Well, i didn't read those books, that is why i don't mentioned them.

And your knowledge is very weak....the movie is canon.

Proof, if you please. Here's my argument:

Why is everything so different, then? If that move is canon, the design of every ship, including a major fleet vessel (TCS Tiger's Claw), is very different, outside the bounds of known Confed architecture. The Rapiers have problems as well, as they are new fighters, and the movie Rapiers are of a very different design. They also seem to be older. Even with Prophecy you can see traces of the older architechture.

I see nothing all that familiar about the movie Tiger's Claw. It looks more like an unholy combination of WC3 Confed and WC2 Kilrathi design philosophy to me. That Fralthi is also different. And that's a class of ship with the same name, not a vessel that has the (barely) plausible excuse of simply being a different ship of the same name. We know from Prophecy among other sources that the WC3 cruisers are the Fralthi II's, so there's something funny going on witht he numbering if that's also a Fralthi. As for that being a Confed designation being hung incorrectly on the ship, that is unlikely. Intelligence would give a new ship a different designator to avoid confusion until more information is available.

Angel is not the Wing Commander aboard the Tiger's Claw, Halcyon is. That's possibly a different usage of the term, so let's discard that particular fact, shall we? Angel is also a Space Forces Captain, not a Naval Lt. Commander, which is not only a different service, it's also a grade ahead of her rank in WC1. Paladin is still a pilot onboard the Tiger's Claw and will be until shortly before her destruction just after the end of SM2.

It's another interpratation of the same universe, I agree. But with the differences involved, it's hard to reconcile them into the same sequence of events. It seems to me to be more like the relation between main-line Star Trek and Star Fleet Battles: same source material, different interpratations.

Now, unless there is a fact buried somewhere I didn't find while checking the factual statements contained in this post, I am less convinced that is part of the universe, not more.

amazing, truly amazing. I thought the admins wouldve closed this thread long ago, but I guess not. wheres LOAF when you need him?lol

Out of curiosity, did Origin execs ever specifically state that the movie is canon?

In light of the huge number of inconsistencies between it and the games/novels, it seems that's the only logical basis for claims that it is.

Moonsword said:
Out of curiosity, did Origin execs ever specifically state that the movie is canon?

In light of the huge number of inconsistencies between it and the games/novels, it seems that's the only logical basis for claims that it is.

I like this interpretation of it. The games, novels and cartoons are all in their own universe. The Wing Commander movie is basically a story based off of all of these elements rapped in a nice little 2 hour bonanza. Whether that's the way it actually is doesn't matter. I'm content in my own little universe and you can all stay out of it. :p

Well, the movie is canon by Chris Roberts - after all, he made it.
All the ships in the movie are re-used from StarLancer (where all the ships are supposedly by his own design - at least that's what I've heard).

The only question is, why whould he sunction such a horrible addition to his excellent Universe?
(Horrible being my personal taste - you can disagree ;) )

As an extension to the game/novel storyline, yes, it is. It's a pretty good movie, but with all of the inconsistencies (a number of which could have been fixed by some research, such as rereading the bloody manuals) I personally find it extremely hard to reconcile with the rest of the series.

DyNaMiX, thank you restating my concluding arguement in simpler terms. Perhaps that will make it more comprehensible to some. And yes, I'm happy with that idea: it makes sense.

I'll say this, The movie is canon in it's own right.

Chris Roberts said in an interview with our vey own Hadrian, that the reason for alot of the changes had to do with not wanting to be accused of being a Star wars rip off, "we decided to give it a more WWII feel, since it had alot of tie-ins with that time period."

Ps. That's quoting from memory, please don't flame me.

-Rance-

In an argument as complex as this, I believe whether the film is canon in some way or not is down to the individual. Either way it makes no bearing on the series, when someone shouts out Wing Commander, we're all going to think of Maniac and Hunter and the rest of them as they were, when they were flying on our wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back