Anyone here like D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
Anyone here besides me like Dungeons and Dragons? I think its cool customizing your charcachter and such. My favorite D&D computer game is Baldur's Gate II: The shadows of Amn :D

I tried D&D for a while but it didn't do much for me.

I did play West End Games' Star Wars RPG for about 6 years though.

Ahh D&D, the third edition really opens the game up for custimization. I was very leery of it at first, but now I enjoy it more.
Same with the D20 Star Wars, I was a huge fan of West End's version, and I pretty much own like every game book I am missing like 4, and they are adventures. I enjoyed the D20 SW so much, it is what I used to make my own WC roleplaying game.
Other great roleplaying titles are palladium games, and my personal favorite, Shadowrun (Two thumbs up)!!

WEG wasn't D20 based. You're thinking of the fucking goddamned hackjob that is Wizards Of The Coast.

Don't really know all that much about D&D, besides out of computer games. Never really was a hit here. The local (German speaking countries) RPG is "Das Schwarze Auge".
But back to DnD. IMHO it is one of the worse RPGs. It has horrible handling of armor (gets mangled together with evasion to one value). Also the Magic system, is kinda yuk.
Not that I am particulary happy of the one from DSA either. Both certainly invite powergamers. In any case RPGs on the PC don't interest me really. If you want to do an RPG do it classically. PC stuff can't compare to it - it always drifts into hack and slay.

I prefer White Wolf over D&D, but D&D can be great fun if the group you're playing with knows what they're doing and if you have a good DM with an actual imagination.

Bandit LOAF said:
That's... what he said...

No... he said,

BlackJack2063 said:
Same with the D20 Star Wars, I was a huge fan of West End's version, and I pretty much own like every game book I am missing like 4, and they are adventures...

West End Games' version was completely D6 based. Wizards Of The Coast keeps making games based off of that shitty D20 scale.

Yes... but that phrase is modifying...

Ahh D&D, the third edition really opens the game up for custimization. I was very leery of it at first, but now I enjoy it more.

He was nervous about the new WotC D&D, but ended up enjoying it...

... and feels the same way about the WotC Star Wars. He *was* a fan of the West End version, and he now likes the new kind.

Bandit LOAF said:
He *was* a fan of the West End version, and he now likes the new kind.

Perhaps his writing style mislead my understanding?

Or perhaps I'm just an idiot.

Never played D&D, but I am a member of my University's RPG Society, so may well do in the near future

I play D&D, but I usually wait till summer to play. That's the only time when my group can get together. All I have is a Level 5 Elven wizard....

cff said:
In any case RPGs on the PC don't interest me really. If you want to do an RPG do it classically. PC stuff can't compare to it - it always drifts into hack and slay.

:D
That's really silly. Games like Planescape: Torment are as fun and as well written as any PnP RPG. The Baldur's Gate Series is also really far from being hack'n'slash. Do not think that all CRPGS are Diablo clones. Try playing a couple of them before you say such things.

I've been avidly playing D&D since I was like, 10/11 or something. I think it's probably one of my greatest interests, and I can totally see both the good and bad points people make about it. My real problem is with 3rd edition, never have liked it-and I probably never will. But, then again, I know people who refused to like 2nd edition when it came out, so I guess I'm just a 2nd rate hack. :)

Edfilho said:
:D
That's really silly. Games like Planescape: Torment are as fun and as well written as any PnP RPG. The Baldur's Gate Series is also really far from being hack'n'slash. Do not think that all CRPGS are Diablo clones. Try playing a couple of them before you say such things.

Oh, I did. You know I played RPGs on the computer before stuff like Bards Tale emerged.
But in the end they are only hack and slay. We are however talking about different stuff here. I am aware that there is hack and slay as in Diablo (which isn't an RPG in my book) and there is hack and slay as in a proper RPG. But even in an RPG there isn't much besides that. Sure you can explore around a bit wohoo - those ever repeating geomorphs are sooooooo exciting. Then there is a little bit story usually far less then WC. Then there are that wonderful riddles that really involve thinking like placing the teammembers on some positions or like getting item a to open door b to get item c... Please. That is RPG mechanics at best, but it isn't RPG. Its the way powergamers play P&P RPGs. I mean it is just simply not possible to get a proper RPG into the PC because you'd have to create an AI that is as clever as a human for that.
Example why I dislike PC RPGs (this happened to me in one): Group enters a cave. Cave is dark. Croup has no torches. Mage of group creates magic light. Entry crumbles behind the group. Group finds door that doesn't open. Door has a plate that shows a flame. Door won't open when I press the magic light there. Door won't open when I throw a fireball there. Door won't open when I summon a fire elemental. Door prevents teleporting through it. Crumbeled entry prevents teleporting through it. No torch can be found in the whole dungeon. Group dies of starving thanks to autosave mechanism that deleted my earlier savegame.

Eh, there are definitely some good PC RPGs out there. Morrowind in particular is fantastic. You keep playing and playing, and there's still so much to explore and so many things to do. It's what FreeLancer should have been like.

So what's the point? You don't get killed on PnP RPGs? Savegame system is not a problem particular do CRPG games...

Yeah they didn't do everything they wanted with freelancer. But it was a very ambitious game. This is not unlikely to what happened to X-COM, but even the "lite" version that was released was very good.

Delance said:
So what's the point? You don't get killed on PnP RPGs? Savegame system is not a problem particular do CRPG games...

I assume you talk to me. The point was that the stupid game did
a) demand me to have a torch. No other source of heat or fire was taken
b) additionally robbed me of the way to go back to 10 minutes before to buy that frigging torch by deleting the savegame.

My complaint is scripting vs freedom. A computer RPG can at best offer as much freedom as a solo adventure (respectively as those books where you can decide where to continue reading by looking up different numbered paragraphs). Thats why I prefer adventures where there are at least good riddles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back