Anybody having problems with the July PC Gamer Disc?

Crusader

Spaceman
This applies more to the PC Gamer disc itself than technical problems with Wing Commander but.....

After finding the July PC Gamer in a store, today, I rushed the sucker home so I could play Wing Commander. Unfortunately, the CD seems to lock up the computer if I try to run a program or go into the directory. I don't think my CD drive is exactly to blame since it can run other CDs just fine.

Can anyone help me? I'm very frustrated with this turn of events.

------------------
We shall slice of their heads and thrust them upon tiki sticks!

Stinger- Nope. Autorun doesn't seem to work on my comp at the moment.

Kain- I tried Run. Nothing came of it except another crash. Furthermore, I tried to copy the game from the disc via a Dos box and I got a read fault error on the CD. Methinks somebody at PCG didn't burn this CD right.

------------------

I had a PC Accelerator Disc that was the same way. Was the one with all the pics of the girls on it too. Damnit! Anyway, probably a bad burn, and what WC was on it?

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a bad burn without a doubt.

The CD had the KS version of WCI on it.

------------------

No shit? This July or a past July issue? The FULL WCI KS game?

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

This July, and it is supposed to be the full WC1 KSaga version. Of course, you still have to download SM1 & 2 separately.

Yep. This CD gets Stinger's Seal of Recommendation. I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone who doesn't already have KS go out there and get this issue of PC Gamer.

Crusader: see if you can call up PCGamer, or go to their website and e-mail them; ask them for a replacement CD. If you must, then go ahead and buy another copy. Don't let this thing slip through your hands.

[This message has been edited by Stinger (edited June 12, 2000).]

Don't worry, Stinger. That goes without saying
smile.gif

------------------

The fact that KS was put on the PC Gamer cover cd doesn't mean it's okay to spread it around. Besides, nobody needs KS, except maybe for the neat box and calender...

Wow thats wierd my WCW KS version has it where my people aren't speaking... Did they have it like this then or were there actually voices...

------------------
And I was stupid enough to think that us brotha's had to stick togetha. :p

KrisV said:
The fact that KS was put on the PC Gamer cover cd doesn't mean it's okay to spread it around. Besides, nobody needs KS, except maybe for the neat box and calender...

...and the first three Wing Commander games that work for Windows.
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Well, good for you.
smile.gif

Seriously, so can I, but barely, and my Wing Commander 2 barely works, as well.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Try inserting the disk and turning off your computer, then booting back up. Rightclick-open the CD, and let it spin for as long as needed. It may be slow, but it should eventually access the files. Worked for me, and the CD seems to work better when it's not trying to autoplay (not supported on my crap machine)

Its not that hard to have all the main stream WC games run in Windows... (you can't pull off Priv or Armada of course) I just prefer running them in DOS
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Back