Anybody got a .3DS Raptor or Hornet model I could hijack?

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I started flying RC planes and Helis about a year ago and I picked up Real Flight G3.5 to practice flying collective pitch helis and to improve my fixed wing skills. What's nice about Real Flight is that you can import 3D models and rig them up like you would a real scale RC plane, right down to type and brand of engines and wings. Ultimately, when I've got the space to work on it, I want to build a flying scale model Raptor and Hornet (and a Thunderbolt if I can figure out how to make my ducted wing idea work.)

Anyway, my first choice would be a Raptor 3D model because I've already put together a pretty good aerodynamics model, in Real Flight, that has wing forms and locations laid out like a Raptor on a test model one of the Real Flight forum members whipped up for me. So far it's been a little finicky but with a 3D model I can better match the actual wing shapes and get a better feel for how they're going to react in flight. Once the flight model is stable enough to fly reliably I would like to post it up at the Real FLight swap pages, giving all due credit to anyone willing to help out of course.

Well I'll take a run at the Hornet and if it all comes together I'll be sure to give credit where I can in the Real Flight release descriptions.

Okay I tried importing it but the converter can't handle BMP textures, at least not so far as I can tell. So the mesh I get needs to use TGAs, otherwise the mesh will convert appropriately for importation but once I try to import it into Real Flight the Real Flight program can't bring in the texture file so it stops importing right there.

So with the XWA conversion do I have to extract the models?
I've got the Hornet 3ds from WC3D and the Real Flight converter recognizes the mesh it just has trouble with the texture maps. So if I can get it reskinned I can use it.

So with the XWA conversion do I have to extract the models?
I've got the Hornet 3ds from WC3D and the Real Flight converter recognizes the mesh it just has trouble with the texture maps. So if I can get it reskinned I can use it.

Well, you have to extract ONLY the .Opt files into a folder and then use Opt23ds to convert these models to 3ds format.

A word of caution: These ships have a lot of textures (10+ per ship!)

The thing I like about the Hornet 3ds is that it's got a Bitmap texture that's easy see where the top and sides are. If I can find a way to get the model to look to a TGA conversion of the existing texture then, hopefully, I can avoid having to line everything up again.

In the end I really don't want to mess around too much with textures and stuff because frankly I have no experience in that stuff. If I was even okay at 3D modelling and texturing I'd build my own meshes and textures. These two fighters are something I could scratchbuild and fly right now but I would like to have something in Real Flight so I know how it would really behave and I would have something I could practice on before a maiden flight.

Back