Any Wingnuts playing Audio Surf?

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I just picked up the game on Friday, through Steam, and have been playing it almost exclusively since.

So is anyone playing and what's your handle on it? Maybe we could get the community into a little friendly competition with customized tracks.

No not yet, but I intend to as soon as I get some extra dosh.

Hows it play, by the way? I've heard it plays like a cross between WipEout and Guitar Hero, is that an apt description?

Haven't played wipeout.

But it does seem like a cross between GH, Tetris, and the original Spyhunter II.

WC songs haven't been real great for high scores, at least not for me. I usual play in one of the mono modes, which changes the color of the blocks in accordance with the pace of the song. I've played with a WC4 track that has the opening theme and the medical ship ambush music, and it's so brooding, I guess is the term, that all of the blocks were purple to blue through out 90% of the run and those are the lowest scoring colors available. However, Darwin Was Right - off the WCP soundtrack CD - was one of the fastest and hardest songs I've tried, but all the blocks stayed mostly in the yellow to red range.

As for the playability, it plays great. If you pick a song you really know well you can anticipate the speed up of the track and some of the hops and curves. The best song I've run so far has been the live version of Where Have You Been from Reel Big Fish. The song has enough ebbs and rushes that you get some regular spots to catch your breath before you get into a faster section, plenty of red scoring chances in mono, it's an easy gold medal. But if you want a really bumpy fast ride try Kashmir.

The game is only ten bucks but its a fun game for the price.

Ive played it and it reminds me of GH, Wipeout and Tetris. Its really fun and addicting. Haven't tried any WC songs but I might give that a try soon. If anybody hasn't played it and loves music I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Ive played it and it reminds me of GH, Wipeout and Tetris. Its really fun and addicting. Haven't tried any WC songs but I might give that a try soon. If anybody hasn't played it and loves music I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Yeah I definatey need to buy this....

I played the demo - quite nice and fun, and very low on system requirements.

I'm pondering getting it. It's only $10 after all, and includes the Orange Box soundtrack (a $10 CD by itself...). So there's some value in it...

I bought it last night and had a go with the WCIV intro music

I was the only one on the scoreboard for that last night when I checked, I'll look tonight and see who has trounced my score :p, I am up for a bit of friendly competition. :)

I am down as Kharn the Betrayer :)

EDIT: the Cobalt 60 (WC: Prophecy) tracks are pretty intense

I've run through the WC4 intro music, under Col_Shaggy, and was the only one on top of the board for that track when I finished. Which brings me to my only gripe about the game. If the ID3 tag, in an MP3, is different then you get a different scoreboard listing. This may be true of different file types as well, I don't know for sure because I always use MP3s. So that's why I suggested some customized tracks from the CIC for any sort of Tournament so that we're all playing with the same tag listing and file type and we all hit the same board.

Going back to Cobalt 60, maybe if we do a custom track for a WC competition we should get someone to mix together some of the sim music from WCP with sim music from the other games. If I still had Soundforge I'd do it myself but I don't have any sound editing software as it is.

Audiosurf is ridiculously awesome. Everyone should get it, it's a game that runs on top of your music collection!

I've run through the WC4 intro music, under Col_Shaggy, and was the only one on top of the board for that track when I finished. Which brings me to my only gripe about the game. If the ID3 tag, in an MP3, is different then you get a different scoreboard listing. This may be true of different file types as well, I don't know for sure because I always use MP3s. So that's why I suggested some customized tracks from the CIC for any sort of Tournament so that we're all playing with the same tag listing and file type and we all hit the same board.

hmmm... does it make a difference on format too? I was playing on PC so I wonder if XBOX 360 scores wouldn't show up?

I agree, we need a good mix of WC tunes making and call it the "CIC challenge" or something so everyone is playing the same scoreboard :)

half the fun was rummaging through my CD collection trying to find a song it didn't recognise or hadn't been played before

The game takes WMA, MP3, OGG, FLAC, and M4A files and it's also supposed to handle audio CDs. So I guess if the Xbox 360 uses any of those formats it should use them just fine, but can your PC actually read the 360 disk?

I think you misunderstood what I meant,
I wondered if the PC scoreboard was seperate from the XBOX360 one, so the console has one for people playing on the console, but the PC has a seperate one for PC players

EDIT: I can see you in the scoreboard now, perhaps there was a delay while it updated or something

I don't think there's an Xbox 360 version of the game. There have been a number of people calling for one on the Audiosurf forums though.

<blatant topic revival> I figure that it's been over a half a year since the game came out and by now more WingNuts have gotten this by now, using the logic that I only bought it myself last night and loved it. I haven't tried any WC songs with it so far, but I have been playing lots of stuff off of OCRemix, mainly on Ninja Mono mode. Just discovered IronMan mode and have been playing it exclusively ever since, it's really punishing if you screw it up!

I still like the idea of a "CIC challenge" thing for this- but I wonder if the mods would condone this since it might require swapping particular MP3s to get everyone set up? Perhaps just setting the tags a certain way if you have the actual song...

I don't know much about the game, but could it be played with the various Wing Commander tracks available for download here? Or does the music have to be of some certain type?

It accepts most normal formats. The notable exception is the itunes DRMed format. I don't think it accepts midi.

We have mp3's, so you can plug any of those into audiosurf and you'll automatically get a track from them. If nobody alters the tags, they'll all be on the same scoreboard.

Guess I have some downloading to do when I get home!

Back