Any screenies of the Kilrathi in Super Wing Commander or Armada?

DyNaMiX

Spaceman
Hi all.
I never bought these games but I'm interested to know if there are any pictures of Kilrathi from these two games. I'm curious as to how the art guys depicted them, given how different Super Wing Commander was compared to the first two games.

The Kilrathi looked like they should, thank goodness! You only saw them in taunt communiques though, IIRC.

I don't recall seeing any kilrathi in Armada to be honest with you, as far as I remember there were no videos to accompany comms

No Kilrathi appear in Armada. In Super Wing Commander you only see them in VDUs (there are no cutscenes with Kilrathi, even) and at one point you see the back of Hobbes' head during a debriefing.

Them's fighting words, Round these parts.

I prefer to think of them as all the same Kilrathi - just with a wide variety of various builds and looks. Like terrestrial Big Cats. The particular cats in the WCM were like any other - they just happened upon a shipment of Human Nair at Pegasus. Either that or they just got out of their yearly flea treatment. :D
Utterly ridiculous, I know. Makes no sense at all.

The only real Kilrathi are the pink and green ones from Academy.

No, wait, the Daggitized version of Melek from Wing Commander IV.

Heh, heh. Awesome. I figure Melek is the Kilrathi's version of this guy.....
http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/peppers.asp
Be disturbed!

But, really. Good grief. there are so many different incarnations of Kilrathi, that it's pretty much senseless to pick one set as the "real" ones.

P.S. Is it just me, or does the WCIV version of Melek look like something out of "The Neverending Story"? I'm kinda expecting him to yell "Atreyu!" at any given moment. That guy looks like he wants to go hibernate for the winter. Kinda creepy.

Although the WCIII Kilrathi were technologically middle of the road, I think they looked like the real deal. As if they were what the WCI & II Kilrathi were drawn from.

They look pretty crummy even in actual video, though - the WC3 Kilrathi benefited greatly from being presented only in low resolution highly compressed video.

That cummy compression covered a multitude of sins. That and really good lighting. Still - when I think Kilrathi, WC2's Thrackath pops to mind, before any of the others. But that's just probably because I was young and impressionable when I first saw WC2.

Howard Day said:
That cummy compression covered a multitude of sins. That and really good lighting. Still - when I think Kilrathi, WC2's Thrackath pops to mind, before any of the others. But that's just probably because I was young and impressionable when I first saw WC2.

lol

Howard Day said:
I prefer to think of them as all the same Kilrathi - just with a wide variety of various builds and looks. Like terrestrial Big Cats. The particular cats in the WCM were like any other - they just happened upon a shipment of Human Nair at Pegasus. Either that or they just got out of their yearly flea treatment. :D
Utterly ridiculous, I know. Makes no sense at all.
It's because... uh... back in early 2654, Prince Thrakhath got so furious about the fleet's poor performance that he ordered everyone to shave off their fur in atomenent. This was a one-time thing, though, and once the fur grew back, it grew back to stay. And then just kept on growing and growing, until in 2673, everyone looked like Melek.

Yeah, atonement. That's it :p.

(seriously, though - we see very few Kilrathi in the movie; as crazy as it might seem, it's really not impossible that this particular group of cats really did have their fur shaved off for some reason)

What's wrong with the theory that the Kilrathi in the movie simply replace those we've previously seen until now?
The same reason the sky is black in WC4 and not blue like the other games.

Mace said:
because in WC3 cutscenes, the cats look real impressive. :cool:

Then just imagine every cat in any WC looks like the WC3 ones. :)

It brings up an issue which I like to relate a little to the Klingons in Star Trek.
The 60's klingons are quite poor compared to the make up of today. Several characters from the 60's series look like the new ones. The klingons in enterprise (set in the timeline before the 60's series) look like the current klingons. So why do these 60 ones look different? Because of real life technical issues.
The solution:

-The Klingons look as they do in the current series
OR
-Do what some comic people have done, when writing comics/making art, based around the 60's series, just make them look like the old version. No harm. They are still klingons.

In Enterprise, the Klingons eventually became infected with a plague, and only a cure made from human DNA was able to save them, and among other things, this human DNA removed their forehead ridges.

In DS9, when questioned why 23rd century Klingons looked so different, Worf explains that it is something Klingons are very embarassed about. This is why.

What's wrong with the theory that the Kilrathi in the movie simply replace those we've previously seen until now?
The same reason the sky is black in WC4 and not blue like the other games.

Improper gamma correction is the reason the Kilrathi look different in the movie :)?

Seriously, though, looking at the WC3 and WC4 Kilrathi, it's completely understandable why Chris Roberts went the way he did. It's very, very hard to do an animatronic furry creature that looks 'real'. WC3 and 4 certainly couldn't... so for the movie he tried something else. He still wasn't happy with how it turned out (vocally so, so it's silly to assume anyone's trying to replace 'our' Kilrathi with new ones), but it was the result of an understandable process.

Nomad Terror said:
In Enterprise, the Klingons eventually became infected with a plague, and only a cure made from human DNA was able to save them, and among other things, this human DNA removed their forehead ridges.

I've never seen this in Enterprise. Where did it happen?

In DS9, when questioned why 23rd century Klingons looked so different, Worf explains that it is something Klingons are very embarassed about. This is why.

That was what I was talking about with my "We do not discuss it with outsiders". Enterprise wasn't around at the time of that episode. So the answer would have been "we've got a bigger budget now". So to cover it up simply, he avoids answering the question. It should have been left at that without getting too technical.

Back