Any Chance that we'll be able to fly the sabre more in EP.4.?

You certainly will - there's a lot of heavy duty in episode 4, so you'll see the Sabre and Crossbow a lot.

Yup, with the increasing capship action, the Sabre will show up a lot in episodes 4 and 5. There will still be some Rapier action as well, though.

There are one or two missions where you fly the Sabre for non-capship missions, but they're definitely the exception, not the rule - and I don't remember offhand if any of such missions actually offer the player a choice of ships (of course, in capship battles, you do usually get a choice of Rapier/Sabre, and even Rapier/Sabre/Crossbow).

In the next episodes I think we'll have plenty of missions to fly fighters. They are a lot of kats coming towards Sol and only a thin blue line of carriers to stop them.

Long Live the Confederation.

Well of course until sometime after the Nephilim conflict since it looks like it's got a few internal problems going on in 2701!

Since it doesn't look like we'll get around to doing a proper update this weekend (but, in case anybody was wondering, I did finish all those winning path missions like I'd planned! Yay!), here's a little more info about which ships you fly in episode 4, as a consolation:

On the winning path, you have 3 Sabre missions, and 2 Rapier missions. Apart from those, you also have 2 missions where you choose between Crossbow, Sabre and Rapier, and 1 mission where you choose between Sabre and Rapier. Of course, that includes all the alternate missions (in particular, the two Crossbow/Sabre/Rapier missions are alterates of each other, so you'll only get to play one of them) - alltogether, without playing alternate missions, you'll fly 6 times on the winning path, with 4-5 opportunities to fly a Sabre, 3-4 opportunities to fly a Rapier, and 1 opportunity to fly a Crossbow.

On the losing path, things get a bit more confusing because there's more alternate missions. There are 5 Rapier missions and 4 Sabre missions. There's also 1 mission where you choose between Crossbow, Sabre and Rapier, and 1 where you choose just between Sabre and Rapier. All told, sticking to one path, you'll fly 5 or 6 times, with around 4-5 opportunties to fly a Rapier, 3-4 opportunties to fly the Sabre, and 1 opportunity to fly the Crossbow.

So, I think pretty much everyone should be happy with the choices provided. Unless of course you happen to like the Crossbow... or the Stiletto :p. All I can say is that they don't get many Crossbows on the Firekka, so they're used sparingly... and you haven't quite seen the last of the Stiletto, either. Definitely no more Gladius missions, though - on very rare occasions, you might see your wingmen flying a Gladius if there isn't enough Sabres to go around... but if that happens, you can expect to be grounded soon, since Commodore Reismann doesn't much like wing commanders who lose all their ships ;).

Sounds fantastic! It's been a while since I've played around with Standoff. Perhaps it is time to explore all those mission branches.

Compliments

More cap-ship missions? I can barely take out those kat destroyers, let alone a carrier. I read the missions though, and it seems really well balanced; although the losing campaign sounds a bit better than winning, with all those Rapier missions :p. Anyway, it's great Standoff is making headway toward a final, finished fan-project. I'm sure I speak for all of us that when it's done, we won't be disappointed.

I'm sure I speak for all of us that when it's done, we won't be disappointed.
Well now, you don't know that. I hope we won't disappoint anyone, but it's too early for you guys to be certain about it :).

And yeah, a lot more capships missions coming up. You won't spend the whole episode killing capships, though - there's more than a few defensive missions in there, as well.

You haven't seen anything yet! Those ships are easy pickings compared to some stuff of the next episode...

Well now, you don't know that. I hope we won't disappoint anyone, but it's too early for you guys to be certain about it :).

And yeah, a lot more capships missions coming up. You won't spend the whole episode killing capships, though - there's more than a few defensive missions in there, as well.

Yeah, because the kats are too busy pushing us against the wall as we retreat from Sirius to Sol.

I imagine a lot of fighter sweeps and scrambles in our future.

Multi-purpose missions probably will predominate; patrol, kill inbound enemies, and try not to die while taking out a group of caps...oh boy what a painful series of missions it could be....

Can't wait! :D

Yeah, to survive until the next mission is the most important. And it's going to be hard.

Well, you can always eject (or at least, sometimes), I suppose :p. One of the minor things we're working on for episode 4 is a patch that allows us to reset the ejection count at specific points in the game - if we're able to do this (and as I understand, it's not something likely to pose us much trouble), you won't have to worry about only being able to eject three times in all of Standoff. Your ejections will still be counted, and if you eject three missions in a row you'll still get grounded (and of course, if you run out of ships, you'll get grounded in any case), but you'll no longer be grounded after a single ejection in episode 4 simply because you'd already ejected a few times in episode 1.

I was playing Standoff not so long ago, and I realized that the prologue (episode 1) allowed you to only eject on one mission. With the limited armor and shields, well, for me it was a miracle I only ejected once. I would kind of enjoy that a few more missions were ejectable (as long as it doesn't take to much of your time :p.)

That's not true - you can eject in a number of missions, although not in every place and at every time. The general rule is, if there are any torpedo-carriers attacking the Lionheart, ejection will get you killed. Other than that, the only time we restrict the player is when ejection would create problems for the storyline or would give him an unfair advantage - namely, in missions 4 (because you have to meet Squealer in order for the story to make sense) and 5 (because it would suck if you could get out of the big final battle simply by ejecting).

That having been said, I'll admit that the picture is not quite as rosy as I seemed to remember it - after all, the only time during mission 2A/B where you're likely to eject also happens to be a situation where the Lionheart is under attack, so ejection gets you killed. And I suppose as far as ejection-worthy missions are concerned, that then only leaves mission 3 (since you're not gonna eject in mission 1 or mission 6).

...So, uh, yeah, I can see what you mean ;).

Back