Any chance of a widescreen resolution?

Pedro

Admiral
I know we have the high res patch, it shouldn't be all that difficult to change the aspect ratio for the game, given how well widescreen is taking off (atleast I personally know a number of people who've made the switch and most modern games support it and the few that don't there are fan hacks for) I thought just one of the resolutions supported by windows as widescreen would be nice (prefferably not higher than 1680*1050 in order to accomodate me).

Maybe. We can check, but that's not a priority. Furthermore, if we ever support widescreen resolution (may not even be possible) be aware that it'll be in-flight only, as we won't re-do all the splash screens and room files for widescreen resolutions.... maintaining art files for 3 different resolutions is already a pain. I don't have a widescreen handy so I don't know what are the most common widescreen resolutions, but if it gets done one day expect to have square room files centered in your screen, and only when in-flight you'd have full width.

Off course, it might speed up the development is you buy me a widescreen monitor :p

I didn't expect the rooms would alter in aspect ratio, a quick hack might be to keep the resolutions but have an option widescreen tag, that way when gameplay starts you could just stretch the image. Sure the dials would be stretched too but it'd still be nicer imo.

P.S. I love the little alterations episode 2 has brought, they make the experience so much more complete.

Pedro said:
I thought just one of the resolutions supported by windows as widescreen would be nice (prefferably not higher than 1680*1050 in order to accomodate me).

1280x720 is a common native resolution that'd be a plenty fine target to shoot for.

I just made a quick test, and I think i would take lots of alterations to get it working in that resolution, especially in 32-bits; so unless HCl does it it won't be done. I mean, I think I *could* have it working in 16-bits, but that's very low on my priority list. I'd prefer to make missions for Standoff instead of having a widescreen resolution working for the few people who have widesceen monitors.

But when Standoff is over, I think we should do it... we want Standoff to be able to age well, and then in a few months/years more and more people people will own widescreen monitors; so the bottom line is: we'll see to that later. I wouldn't hurt to recall it to us after Standoff is complete, though.

ChrisReid said:
1280x720 is a common native resolution that'd be a plenty fine target to shoot for.

I think 1280x800 is more common however.

I've never heard of 1280x800, but 1280x720 is 720p, the primary progressive scan HD standard in North America. Every single DLP tv made so far is locked at 1280x720, and that'll be the minimum/standard resolution that all XBox 360 games support.

I also have to admit to not having heard of 1280*800... and not having support for it.
1280*768 and 1360*768 are my other wide screen resolution but 1280*720 would seem to be the sensible choice as even my old CRT monitor supported that.

1280x800 is what most 16:9 notebooks currently have AFAIK. Mine does have this resolution as well.

I definitely intend to update the high-res patch eventually, since at lot of new discoveries were made in the game EXE since the last version was released. My objective is to improve the automatic patching of the WCP high-res to allow the use of pretty much any resolution for spaceflight while falling back to more a more conventional (and reduced) set of resolutions for rooms and menus. Various known shortcomings will be addressed as well.

Having said this, however, i am currently commited to other projects and will not begin working on a new version of the high-res patch for at least a couple of months.

Mario

Back