Another uniform questions

bombus

Spaceman
I have a few questions:

1) Are there any "pilot wings" on the confed uniform?

2) How many ribbons and for what did Blair get?

1) Are there any "pilot wings" on the confed uniform?

Yes. In the original game they're on the left side of the chest, above the ribbons. In the FMV uniforms they're on the right side, below the name badge.

2) How many ribbons and for what did Blair get?

That's hard to say - he's probably earned dozens of them (you don't wear all your ribbons).

In the original Wing Commander he started out with two, for Academy Graduation and Flight School Graduation. Then he recieved ribbons for each fighter he was qualified to fly, each campaign he served in and for various numbers of kills and missions (ace, ace of aces, 5, 10 and 15 missions).

If you follow that logic through the other games and stories you add at least sixteen fighter qualification ribbons for the Broadsword, Crossbow, Epee, Ferret, Morningstar, Sabre, Arrow, Excalibur, Hellcat, Longbow, Thunderbolt, Dralthi II, original Rapier, Lance, Bearcat and Tigershark.

Campaign ribbons are a bit harder to guess. Off hand I can think of maybe ten: three Enigma Campaigns, Operation Backlash, Operation Thor's Hammer, the Firekka situation, the Deneb Campaign, Operation Red Three, the defense of Earth, the events of Wing Commander III. Of course, some of these individual operations may not warrant ribbons...

In the 'real' military you generally recieve a ribbon that represents any medal you've been given - so that would add a bunch more.

Bandit LOAF said:
If you follow that logic through the other games and stories you add at least sixteen fighter qualification ribbons for the Broadsword, Crossbow, Epee, Ferret, Morningstar, Sabre, Arrow, Excalibur, Hellcat, Longbow, Thunderbolt, Dralthi II, original Rapier, Lance, Bearcat and Tigershark.
Hmm, that brings up a question that probably can't be answered :). I wonder if you 'lose' ribbons when your qualifications/certifications lapse (considering Blair told Eisen that all his other certifications had lapsed but the Arrow, which he had attained I think a 'provisional' rating on before leaving for the Lex)?

C-ya

There's also most likely a Golden Sun in there, considering that there's at least one probable ejection (BoT, after which he was off the flight roster due to injuries, to be put back in active duty just before WC3). Might have been something in WCA(tv), but I'm blanking on details, at the moment ("Lords of the Sky" rings a bell, for some reason...).

How americanised. Here in the UK our boyos only get a ribbon when they get a medal and they get very few of those, believe me. Seems to me that the yanks give them out like sweeties. If I had done my service in America rather than here I would have a few myself.

Kinda devalues it I think.

Tell that to Chris Roberts, who grew up in England.

Americans say the same thing about Russian medals by the way.

climber said:
How americanised. Here in the UK our boyos only get a ribbon when they get a medal and they get very few of those, believe me. Seems to me that the yanks give them out like sweeties. If I had done my service in America rather than here I would have a few myself.

My father have 4-6 ribbons and one medal. I dont think he did anything else than some figthing in Giza(thats how its written, rigth) a long time ago.

No, im not that old, i was just "produced" a bit late.

climber said:

It's a little like that in Australia here.
I was watching a film about US marines called Rules of Engagement. I don't know if that's totally accurate but Tommy Lee Jones and Sam L Jackson had a very colourful patch above their left chest. :)

I don't think it's "Americanized" as much as it is "Wing Commanderized" -- I don't think you get individual ribbons for checking out in individual fighters in real life. It's just an attempt to reward the player (if in the game you only got a ribbon with a medal there'd never be anything special about ribbons.)

Modern military service ribbons are denoted by service theater in addition to the ones representing things like medals and campaigns as well as meritorious conduct.

Commonwealth nations on the other hand don't have particular stationi based medals AFAIK, but they do have additional fluff like the chivalric orders, doubtful that those actually are granted to military personnel these days.

Back