Another plea for a basic idea: (...)

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
Hello, all.
I've been a "Wing" fan since late 1995, when I bought a copy of WC III. I found the graphics and gameplay superb, and of course the story line most compelling. So much so that I determined to buy any & all previous WC games I could get my hands on, to be able to see (& experience firsthand) for myself the PRIOR episodes in this great saga. I find the evolution in graphics engines (both for general gameplay and combat in particular) over the 9 years' time to be fascinating. Each succeeding game in the series has shown more improvements of various kinds, but especially graphics, than the ones before it. Nowhere is this MORE evident or obvious than in the difference between WC III and the ones that came before it . When Origin/EA released "WC: The Kilrathi Saga" a couple years ago (the only WC title I DON'T yet have...), I was heartened to hear about it, but soon saw that it wasn't quite what I'd expected. While it was good that they released this compilation of the first 3 episodes in 1 package optimized for Win 95, I guess I was expecting more. Specifically, I was hoping/expecting that there'd be more "new & improved" features to this new release.

I was hoping specifically that they'd taken the first 2 games and basically "re-done" them so that the combat (and perhaps the rest of the gameplay's) graphics were more "state of the art"; more equivalent to the gameplay/combat graphics in WC 3&4. In short, I was thinking that perhaps they'd remade the first 2 games with WC3's graphics engine. How awesome that would be, I thought to myself. I didn't necessarily expect as complete an overhaul in the gameflow graphics (--I'm sure it'd be prohibitively expensive to use FMV and live actors) to go back and reshoot cutscenes from the first 2 games. Nonetheless, I was at least expecting to see more sophisticated animation, so the cutscenes/etc. would be less "cartoonish" looking. I was disappointed to see that the main thing "new" about WC: KS was simply that it's all 3 in one place, and optimized for Win95.

Now some people who've been Wing fans from the start & have followed it over the years of its evolution would probably say to me that they wouldn't WANT to see that happen, because they see a certain charm or sense of nostalgia in the evolution of the game from the beginning till now. I respect that sentiment, but I'm not one of those folks. I'm from the camp that came to Wing in the middle of things; when it'd just made the transition over to "modern" graphics and FMV. I'd love to see the first 2 games redone in the way I described above, for then all 5 of the games would have more
cohesiveness, more of a "flow", more of a sense of continuity to them, esp. as one "plays through" from WC to WC Prophecy.

To that end, I have a suggestion. I at first suggested this to Origin/EA, but received no response. I then farmed it out to Mario ("Hcl"), but shortly after he got the e-mail, he "went into hiding" to take/finish his University exams. While he is back now, I nonetheless throw this question out to all of you: Though it is perhaps a daunting and "undo-able" task, what do you all think: Wouldn't it be great if you (or a consortium of programmer-type WC fans like yourselves) could come up with, essentially, retooled "versions" of WC1 & 2?... The fact that you've expended so much effort to import and convert ships from the older games into WCP tells me that y'all might be interested in something like this. It'd probably be easy enough, once all the ship models from an earlier game were converted to the WCP game engine, to simply recreate the missions from any/either of the earlier games.

The more significant challenge here would be for someone (or more than likely, a few someones) to be able to retool the REMAINDER of the first 2 games' interfaces. I see 2 major obstacles/challenges here. The first challenge would be to come up with more updated (that is, more realistic & lifelike) animation for the cutscenes. Something along the lines of the cutscene animation found in, say, "Cyberia 2: The Resurrection" comes to mind.... The remaining major obstacle (probably less of a challenge than that first one) would be to come up with photorealistic "action" areas within the game where the player interacts w/ the game interface (clicking a character to "talk" to them in the ship's bar/lounge, clicking on a bunk in the barracks to save or load a game, etc., in the first game as examples).

Anyway, that's just an overview of a new thing I'd like to see happen in the Wing Commander universe; one that hasn't yet been suggested, to my knowledge. Please write back and let me know what you think of this idea, whether or not you think it'd be do-able, whether of not someone's already tried this before (or IS working on it now), and any other response you may have to this e-mail. I'm very curious to hear your take on this. I hope to hear back from you in the near future. Thanx.
-Preacher

Well it sounds like a kick-ass idea and If i had any skills in that area i would help but it seems do-able whether or not it actually is reamains to be seen but I hope it is. Well if you need anyone to "test the ships or whatever" Now that i can do!

I've often thought of the idea too, enjoying the story of WC1/2 in the Vision engine - and it may well be possible too, but I think, for the moment anyway, that it's better to finish up the current fan projects which introduce something new, rather than re-do something we've already seen before. I think in an attempt to re-do something, there's a temptation to add a 'twist' somewhere to keep the player guessing.

BTW, Stunner, I believe your sig is incorrect, it's "Kn'thrak", IIRC.

A remake of the old games has been suggested a hundred times already. I'm glad Origin didn't waste time and money on that. I'd rather have that invested in new games. If someone were to remake them, I probably wouldn't care. I like the games for what they are, not for their lens flares and bi-linear filtering.

There are actually at least one fan projects underway to recreate the original games - I myself am working on WC1 through to just before WC3 - Eder is working on a similar project, hopefully working together, on 'Standoff'.

Personally I prefer the idea of writing entirely new engines than trying to modify existing ones such as the Vision engine.

Akashra-
I'm all for that (using new or other engines to re-create the original games). Mainly what I'd be looking for is a way to (as you are doing) recreate WC1 & 2. The storyline is just so compelling that they fairly CRY OUT for a re-telling in a more modern medium, with more up to date graphics all-around, whether for combat or the other parts of the game (cutscenes,etc.). To some, the antiquated graphix of the "old" games has a certain amount of nostalgia; but, since I first entered into the WC universe with WC3, I have been "spoiled" to see the first 2 installments updated to an engine comparable to that. "Vision" is the engine used for WC:p; I'd be happy to see the 1st 2 stories told in a medium comparable to WC3 ("Alias" engine, as I understand it). A |more modern engine would thus be a "plus".
Of course, the cutscenes would be problematic, because FMV would be prohibitively expensive. When I say "cutscenes", I'm talking about not only the "transition" scenes from one part of the story to another (such as a jump to another system), but the FMV "interchanges" that occur regularly between the player and other characters, which allow one particular event in the storyline to trigger, or another, depending on the player's choice. Perhaps someone with vast animation experience could find a way to do fairly realistic cutscenes--perhaps along the kind of quality/engine used in Descent Freeespace or Starlancer.
Tell me, do you have a web address for any work you may've already done in this area?... I'd be interested to see what you've come up with so far. Besides, as far as I know, the Vision engine is a proprietary game engine specific to Origin/EA--we'd never be able to ge tour hands on it, anyway--mods is about the best we could hope for.
-Preacher

As I understand it, it's the transitions and special effects for the movies that are the EASIEST for what we're looking at doing - because we can't exactly film stuff, therefore actors are gonna look well, like something out of the Final Fantasy movie. It all depends how cartoonish or real we want the end product to be.

Work? Nah... I'm a coder, not an artist, I can sketch/draw, but I'm useless when it comes to CGI.
I've been hoping to get a page of basic info up for the EC (Jacinta) Engine up for a while, but all that time gets put into actually coding the game. What we really need now is artists willing to put in the time to help. Eder has done a great job doing the models - however noone has offered to help us with things like the HUDs, cutscenes, midgame scenes and objects, cursors etc.
HEDay has also done a number of models for BlackWidow, which the engine will run, however he's away for another two months or so. Hopefully once he returns we'll be able to get some working stuff.

I have posted one or two little screenies here and there, but they don't really show anything worthwhile yet - I've recently considered changing from using DirectDrawAccel to Direct3D/OpenGL for a few reasons, which again is going to take time. However, what work and progress I can actually get done does depend a lot on the people I have working with me - which at the moment isn't very many.

I am still awaiting someone to contact me wanting to help out with all projects!... and anyone who does if their work is good enough may even land themselves a job for the next project to be started and completed Late 2002-Early 2003.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Originally posted by Preacher
...WC3 ("Alias" engine, as I understand it)...
Realspace. ;)

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Realspace?... Never heard of it before. I have heard of TruSpace, and have an older version of it. Where can I find out more?...

Originally posted by akashra
however no one has offered to help us with things like the HUDs, cutscenes, midgame scenes and objects, cursors etc.

I am still awaiting someone to contact me wanting to help out with all projects!... and anyone who does if their work is good enough may even land themselves a job for the next project to be started and completed Late 2002-Early 2003.

HUDS, objects, cursors?... Count me in! I don't know how much help I can be, but I'm willing to try. I have some experience w/ TrueSpace 2 and Amorphium. Also, I could be a lotta help to you when it comes to doing any voiceover work needed--I'm a budding voice actor, among other things (and looking for some experience in this field). Let me know if I can be of help (mohawk1@operamail.com). Thanx.

Originally posted by Preacher
Realspace?... Never heard of it before.
It's just the name of the engine used by Armada/WC3/WC4. I've only seen it mentioned in the game credits of Armada and in the Strike Commander manual (referring to WC3).

Work? Nah... I'm a coder, not an artist, I can sketch/draw, but I'm useless when it comes to CGI.
I've been hoping to get a page of basic info up for the EC (Jacinta) Engine up for a while, but all that time gets put into actually coding the game.

Have you coded this new engine yet? As I already told Eder, Flight Commander is available as an engine, and it's already playable. Just wonder what the status of your engine was. I'd welcome another coder to modify flight commander. But if you'd prefer to create your own engine from scratch, let me tell you, it's a wonderful learning experience. Or you could also use Vega Strike. I think all three choices have their own benefits, you can evaluate.

http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~eddieb/fc/

Certain aspects of VegaStrike I'm against - Daniel has even asked me if I'd be interested in working together on VegaStrike - for many reasons, I've chosen not to.

Flight Commander is in much the same boat - it's all 3D Accelerated. While I plan on adding Direct3D and OpenGL support later, right now, the main aim is to have it working on machines which DON'T have 3D cards, being able to run on specs as low as a P150.

Also, one of the main things I hates was the use of XML. WHY, WHY, WHY!!! :)

Certain aspects of VegaStrike I'm against - Daniel has even asked me if I'd be interested in working together on VegaStrike - for many reasons, I've chosen not to.

Flight Commander is in much the same boat - it's all 3D Accelerated. While I plan on adding Direct3D and OpenGL support later, right now, the main aim is to have it working on machines which DON'T have 3D cards, being able to run on specs as low as a P150.

Also, one of the main things I hates was the use of XML. WHY, WHY, WHY!!! :)

Actually, I run and developed Flight Commander solely on a P166 with only 16 meg of RAM and 20 meg of hard disk space free, and NO 3d acceleration. I agree that it's nice to support older machines by allowing the player to adjust the resolution, etc, as FC already does.
XML is nice because you get a free parser, and you don't need to write a special editor. It's slow for mesh files, which is why I chose binary files for meshes, and xml for stuff people can edit.
But if you prefer alternatives, do what makes you happy.

I wish you luck with your own engine, and if you'd like to compare notes some time I'm always up for it.

I'm assuming you have no intention of making FC opensourced though?
The problem is though, no engine in development is at a usable state. VegaStrike, ECE and FlightCommander, none are ready to actually be used for a game.
VegaStrike has the basic graphics stuff in...
FlightCommander has some basic flight stuff and loading stuff...
ECE is sorta working in the reverse direction - all the customizing stuff is in - now I just gotta work on finding a way and file format to load the objects etc, which is really what's slowing me down, apart from the fact that noone's interested in HELPING making graphics!!!

As for using XML, writing a parser isn't exactly complex... hence why I'm not using it.

I'm assuming you have no intention of making FC opensourced though?
The problem is though, no engine in development is at a usable state. VegaStrike, ECE and FlightCommander, none are ready to actually be used for a game.
VegaStrike has the basic graphics stuff in...
FlightCommander has some basic flight stuff and loading stuff...
ECE is sorta working in the reverse direction - all the customizing stuff is in - now I just gotta work on finding a way and file format to load the objects etc, which is really what's slowing me down, apart from the fact that noone's interested in HELPING making graphics!!!

As for using XML, writing a parser isn't exactly complex... hence why I'm not using it.
No, source code for FC is available to anyone who asks for it. I've found that .obj files
are relatively easy to parse, so it seems to be a good file format.

Back